Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 15,819 times

Advertisements

Is it against the law in TX to leave your car running unattended? My wife was told by a policeman that it was. Has anyone heard of this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 16,077 times
A little Google search will show you: Yes. Here's a comment from an Austin City government page at http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/police/50auto.htm

Quote:
Never leave your car running, even if you will only be gone for a minute. Vehicles are commonly stolen at convenience stores, gas stations, ATM's, etc. Many vehicles are also stolen on cold mornings when the owner leaves the vehicle running to warm up. Leaving your key in an unattended motor vehicle is a crime in Texas.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:35 PM
B&A

336 posts, read 252,107 times
That's crazy. Is it really illegal or do they just not want you to. There should probably be a time limit or something like that. I can see that it would be illegal if there was a kid in the car or an animal. Things could go wrong very easily. But, you know, the more I think about it there are so many kid-like people in this country. Leaving your car running unattended could cause problems. I don't think that it's enforced around here that much but I personally wouldn't leave my car running with all these crazies around here while I ran into the store. I even lock my car before going into the gas station to grab some cigs or somehting quick like that.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:40 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,997,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&A View Post
all these crazies around here

YouTube - Napoleon XIV: 'They're coming to take me away'

Old 08-17-2010, 09:43 PM
B&A

336 posts, read 252,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Haha, that's right!

Old 08-17-2010, 09:44 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I'd like to see the actual statute on that one rather than a City of Austin website. Do they cite the statute on that website?

Old 08-17-2010, 10:01 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
I remember that being in the news some years ago, when the law was enacted. I think that it is rarely enforced, it is more for insurance reasons - "your car was stolen? with the keys in it? running? You idiot! We aren't paying your claim since you car was being 'used' illegally by you!"

Just a guess, not really sure that is the case .

Edit: oh, here is some site that references the code, I am too lazy to go to it and look:
http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/police/do..._car_month.pdf

Old 08-17-2010, 11:39 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,056,312 times
Anyone who leaves their car running while running into a store is an idiot and might as well have a sign on the windshield that says, "Steal me!"

Old 08-18-2010, 06:52 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
It's against the law in Florida too...probably in lots of states.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:42 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savagea7 View Post
Is it against the law in TX to leave your car running unattended? My wife was told by a policeman that it was. Has anyone heard of this??
If it's not illegal, will you incorporate it into your daily life? If it is illegal, what hardship does it create for you?

Many vehicles now have remote lock/start. For example, as I approach my Chevy Silverado on a hot day, I remotely start it from across the parking lot, often 100+ yards away or more. Then the A/C can get a head start before I get in, especially in this type of weather.

While running, the doors are locked, I can see the vehicle, and even if someone got in, the vehicle cannot be driven without first putting the key in and turning it forward. If a cop gave me a ticket for this, I'd fight it.

I would never leave my keys in a running vehicle though.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin