Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:40 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times

Advertisements

One of the things I enjoy is being able to talk to others while waiting for school to get out. What I found interesting is there are some of us that believe if we do NOT get the services we are paying taxes for then our taxes should be lowered by whatever amount they deem for school transportation.

There are some very unhappy campers and I'm beginning to understand why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 03:00 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,593 times
Suppose they drew districts so that a student could attend the school that was physically closest to their home?

Old 08-24-2010, 03:04 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
Suppose they drew districts so that a student could attend the school that was physically closest to their home?

There are too many politics involved for that to happen. We have those within AISD that believe in social justice, and then we have those who believe in the status quo. The status quo usually wins until push comes to shove.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 924 times
Actually the law states that the Local School District "may" have a bus system. If the school district chooses to have buses they are only required by funding purposes, NOT by law, to provide for those students who live more than two miles from the school or provide a route (with funding) that picks up a minimum of 10 students. (This is from Article 17, Part 1. 115C-240 section b, e, 115C-246, b) I have been in education for 11 years. Most people assume that schools have to provide buses, when in fact they don't. If they do provide buses they receive federal and state monies, if not the school just loses out on the money to help pay for the buses. Hope this clears up some misconceptions about what the schools HAVE TO DO and what they DO NOT HAVE TO DO.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:49 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
I grew up in Wisconsin, and close enough to all schools that I walked every day, from kindergarten through 11th grade. Then my parents moved to Texas, and for my senior year of high school, my mom had to take me. Never experienced a school bus except on field trips.

My son grew up in California. People like to think that CA taxes the heck out of people to provide free services, but the truth is that the school districts were not given funds to provide bus service. I think we paid something on the order of $400 per year for bus service. I believe they did have a program for those who could not afford this, but you had to apply and be accepted.

Personally, I think it is a bad system that encourages parents to individually drive their kids to school. It crowds the streets, wastes fuel, pollutes the air in general, and the school grounds specifically. If I had young kids now, I would be happy to pay for a school bus, just as I did when my son was young.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:57 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Personally, I think it is a bad system that encourages parents to individually drive their kids to school. It crowds the streets, wastes fuel, pollutes the air in general, and the school grounds specifically. If I had young kids now, I would be happy to pay for a school bus, just as I did when my son was young.
I agree, I used to live close to an elementary school, and it was ridiculous the way the long line of Mom's driving SUV's backed up the main road into the subdivision, waiting to drop of one or two kids at the school. Busing, even if it is a custom bus group solution for a limited number of subscribers, is a far more rational solution.

Did I just invent a new business?

Old 09-05-2012, 04:13 PM

492 posts, read 631,216 times
My granddaughter just moved to Texas with her family and at 13 is old enough to walk or ride her bike to school. The problem is there are no sidewalks and it is a very busy street. She only lives 1/2 mile from the school and has been told that a couple of girls had a man stop them earlier this year and tried to get them in his car. I just do not feel that this is a safe situation. Can a school district be made to provide transportation? Parents both work and can not take her.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:20 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
My granddaughter just moved to Texas with her family and at 13 is old enough to walk or ride her bike to school. The problem is there are no sidewalks and it is a very busy street. She only lives 1/2 mile from the school and has been told that a couple of girls had a man stop them earlier this year and tried to get them in his car. I just do not feel that this is a safe situation. Can a school district be made to provide transportation? Parents both work and can not take her.

Short answer, NO the district cannot be made to provide transportation.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:20 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
No. Why should a school district be required to accommodate this child?

I have a hard time believing neither parent can adjust their schedules to transport their child to/from school.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:22 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Both parents and her grandmother are too busy or don't care enough to drive this child 1/2 mile to school! So you think the tax payers should be forced to provide this service?

Seriously!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin