Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:54 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&A View Post
Have you guys seen that show on TV called "What Would You Do?" They had the same scenario on the show. They would use an actor and change out the actor every so often from male to female or black to white to see how many people will give them gas. Also, they would change the car out from old beat up car to really nice big car. Then, as the people they were being asked for gas either declined or accepted then then show cameras would come out and the host would ask why they accepted or declined. This show's goal is to get people to be a little nicer to others and lend a hand when they can. I bet some of those scam artists are trying to take advantage of anyone that watches that show. It's crazy that you write about this because that's exactly what they were doing on that show. You guys should watch it because it might save you from another scam.
I would give them some gas, because maybe they really are someone who is stranded.
The labor involved in filling a vehicle, one gallon at a time, makes this type of scam a lot of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 11:45 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post
That seems like a lot of work for a few gallons of gas.

I'm just thankful that I can spend my free time eating out with friends, watching movies, etc, instead of begging for gas a gallon at a time. Hopefully these people will eventually realize that hard work gets you further than begging. And hopefully if/when they realize that, there will be good work available for them to do. It's a tough time these days.
True...a scam. Totally. But, if you have the cash, a hell of a lot easier than begging together a quarter/half a tank...personally, I feel if you can't afford a car/insurance, ride public trans, but in areas like Austin without a viable mass transit system, its unfortunately often the only way to get around(personal vehicle).....

Just a reflection of two things...no mass transit system of worth in Austin, and a local/national horsebleep economy. Add the two together, and you will always get creative scammers who try to pull off these things...

Crime would be the next step in this process, and at least no one is getting held up for change from these scammers and panhandlers. If it gets any worse, prep yourself for seeing a lot of that as well(crime)

Old 08-26-2010, 05:47 PM
B&A

336 posts, read 252,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehjeh View Post
Slight diversion here, but no, the goal of shows like that isn't to make people be nicer no matter what they say. It's to embarrass people. It really is. You don't make people nicer to each other by pressuring them publicly. All that does is increase resentment.

I've had a few too many encounters with people who like to do that to others. Also scam artists who paint giving them money as "helping a stranger" (say that in a "don't I inspire you" tone of voice). Sorry. Had to get it out of my system.
If you saw the show, you'd understand what I said. It's not one of those stupid reality shows. One of those news shows like 20/20 or something has it kinda off their show.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:41 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,735,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
I will ask a really dumb question. What is the Gateway area of Austin? It sounds like another church here in South Austin -- and we move kinda slow.
Yes where is this Gateway?

Old 08-28-2010, 09:06 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&A View Post
Have you guys seen that show on TV called "What Would You Do?" They had the same scenario on the show. They would use an actor and change out the actor every so often from male to female or black to white to see how many people will give them gas. Also, they would change the car out from old beat up car to really nice big car. Then, as the people they were being asked for gas either declined or accepted then then show cameras would come out and the host would ask why they accepted or declined. This show's goal is to get people to be a little nicer to others and lend a hand when they can. I bet some of those scam artists are trying to take advantage of anyone that watches that show. It's crazy that you write about this because that's exactly what they were doing on that show. You guys should watch it because it might save you from another scam.
Reading that was the best laugh I've had all week.... that show is nothing more than a way for ABC to push their LIBERAL agenda.....They are out to make anyone that does not agree with them look like racist....And liberals eat it up.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: