U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 11:17 AM

23 posts, read 66,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
BTW AustinSteve,when my wife and I get down there, I'll be sure to give your wife my address...some fresh bread and fruit will be most welcome
AustinSteve . . . DITTO!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 12:01 PM

216 posts, read 682,793 times
Post Neighbors

Thanks for your inputs about the neighbors, of course you are right and people give each other a lot of space in fear (sometimes) that they might offend.
When we moved into our neighborhood in Col Springs 3 years ago it was quite the opposite. We would all bake a meal for parents of a new baby or if someone had an accident or couldn't drive to the store it wasn't a big deal to ask them what they needed.

You would probably find me crazy if you lived near me in Co. I had a single sheet of paper I would hand to new neighbors with the # of each house close to them and the names of the parents & names and ages of the children.
My husband finds it hard to remember names so it made it easier for him at the start.

Folk could then choose to use the sheet or throw it in the garbage depending on their preference.

Maybe this will come in time (remember I'm only here 4 days).
Fingers crossed.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:14 PM

8,630 posts, read 16,011,538 times
I agree with Ganks about erring on the friendly side. I think it's beneficial to meet people face to face, and at least know you did your part in welcoming someone and tried to make them comfortable. I feel lucky that my neighbors aren't really like that. Just this weekend, there was a powwow in my driveway, and one of the neighbors 5 houses down that we only see every once in a while came over and introduced himself to those of us he didn't know and it was really nice. Some people that move here aren't used to those displays of old fashioned neighborliness, so it throws them off. Some people are just grouchy, but at least you find that out when you drop by.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:40 PM

3,090 posts, read 5,621,572 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm being cynical, but perhaps people are slowly losing their ability to interact personally and face to face. Ironically (since all of us are communicating via the internet), the preferred mode of communication has become The Computer. Whether it's in a car, a cell phone, internet forum, chat room, email - people just seem to be more outgoing and gregarious in those mediums. I mean, how many people do you know that will flip you off face to face? But in a car on the freeway...all bets are off
I am not sure that I can totally agree with that Twange. Let me do some web searches to see if I can derive any stats of that and my bot will email you the results. Feel free to call my voicemail if you have any questions about it.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:34 PM

38 posts, read 86,164 times
Default I agree with Twange

Quote:
Maybe I'm being cynical, but perhaps people are slowly losing their ability to interact personally and face to face. Ironically (since all of us are communicating via the internet), the preferred mode of communication has become The Computer. Whether it's in a car, a cell phone, internet forum, chat room, email - people just seem to be more outgoing and gregarious in those mediums. I mean, how many people do you know that will flip you off face to face? But in a car on the freeway...all bets are off

I guess it's just easier to express your true feelings when no one can really see your face...or when there are no real consequences.

BTW AustinSteve,when my wife and I get down there, I'll be sure to give your wife my address...some fresh bread and fruit will be most welcome

I totally agree with this statement!!! Recently my company had some training in which we were talking about customer service and how different groups of people like to be treated in different ways. By different groups I am meaning different age groups. We had people ranging from 65 to 22 years old in the class and we had to differentiate how each decade of age prefers to be treated. The 65 yr old sounded like how the original Texans sound on this site, trying to be cordial to everyone and will take the time to speak to everyone. The younger aged people said that this type of lifestyle drives them nuts, and how they are all about technology and in the age of "need it now" whether it's text messages or by the internet. They aren't wanting the interface that the older generation wanted. I'm in my early thirties, and I found it amazing that the 40's and fifties admitted to being a selfish group and a little snobby. (This was self admitted by them, and not my opinion). So I have to agree with twanges assessment that the further the generations go along, the less need to interact with anyone face to face. By the way, I live in the PNW, where seldom do I feel people are genuine with there interests in others. That's why I'm wanting to move to the South, so my children can learn the correct way to treat people.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:47 AM

104 posts, read 589,938 times
I'm glad things are going good for you!

Once in Missouri (air force base) our neighbor came over with a plant for us. I was floored! I must of told her thanks a millions times! Once we were all settled in I made chocolate chips cookies for them. My son was like 7 at the time and she was always bringing colors and markers. He hated coloring but I never told her that! ha,ha At Halloween and Christmas she gave him little gifts. When we lived in Louisiana where I am from, we had 5 acres and a horse. Our neighbors also had 2 horses and 10 acres. We were always helping each other. Our husbands helped each other build porches and barns. When we went to town 25 minutes away we would always ask the other if they needed anything. We borrowed sugar and milk from each other shared movies with each other and had supper together sometimes. I miss them so much! We were friendly with other neighbors on the street too. When we moved, one of the neighbors had a fish fry for us! I sure do miss the south! I can't wait to get back!

I know when people move in, I don't want to barge (sp) right over and be in their way. I like to give them a little time to get settled. So, maybe that's what your neighbors are doing.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:48 AM

443 posts, read 1,093,170 times
Two words, people.
South Austin.

Living up north, my neighbors were pretty cold and unfriendly, but before we even took anything off the moving truck, we had 2 neighbors come up to say hi.

No baked goods so far, but my next door neighbor offered to mow our lawn for us whenever he does his.

Tons of young, vivacious folks down here - new families and old folks as well.
I will never move away from SA again, if i can help it.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:35 AM

111 posts, read 230,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GANKS View Post
We had a really great experience with our new neighbors. We went to check on the progress of our house one afternoon after signing papers on it that morning. We saw people checking out the house going up next door so we assumed they were our neighbors. We weren't going to interrupt them but we decided we would need to come out of our shell here so we introduced ourselves. A few minutes later we met the new neighbors on the other side and another new neighbor around the corner. Everyone was out to check on the construction progress. It was great to meet everyone, exchange emails and have a few folks send us pics of the house going up (and keep tabs on the builder).

I think it's best to err on the side of being friendly and being open to your neighbors. We didn't do that in our last house as much and regretted it the whole time so it's nice to start out on the right foot with your neighbors (IMHO).
It was the same thing for us here is California. The only hard part for me in moving to Texas is saying goodbye to my neighbors. We have all been together for 7 years. One of them started crying when we put our house up for sale.
My husband and I will talk to trees if they stand still long enough. I think we will be fine. I am looking forward to another neighborhood where we all moving in around the same time.
As for the welcome wagon thing, I don't bring food to a new neighbor, I bring a lovely plant. The NEXT time I bring food. We are known for our cooking. My current neighbors are devastated at the idea of no phone calls saying 'come to the fence, I have something for you'...

Old 06-28-2007, 12:15 PM

1,587 posts, read 2,683,417 times
Wow, we hardly talk to our neighbors at all. I would...but everyone is too busy!

Old 06-28-2007, 02:25 PM

2,333 posts, read 5,123,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
Two words, people.
South Austin.
Shh...don't tell everyone

Actually, that's where we're headed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin