Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:17 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,020,108 times

Advertisements

Also taken from the internet (we could be here the rest of our lives if "on the internet" is our only standard of authority, but whatever, I don't have time for more)

From the Love-A-Bull FAQ:

"Consider the following study performed by the National Canine Research Council: In August of 2007, four serious dog attacks were tracked. The attacks involved four different breeds (only one involved a pit bull). All of the attacks were severe, ranging from a fatal head and neck injury to severe hospitalizations (the fatality was not caused by the pit bull). The two hospitalizations and the fatality were reported only by local newspapers either one or two times. In contrast, the pit bull attack was reported over 230 times in national and international newspapers and in major television networks, including CNN, MSNBC and FOX. This severe bias has a devastating effect on public perception and takes a toll on public safety. For example, since 1965-2008, there have been 17 different breeds/types of dogs have been identified in connection with dog bite fatalities in Texas. All of the dogs have been intact (not spayed/neutered). A significant number of the dogs involved were either being used for breeding and/or lived their lives at the ends of chains. Austin has passed an anti-tethering law, but that law needs to be made state-wide. These causal factors are too often ignored as we focus on breed, and this is a detriment to public safety.
Can Pit Bulls Do More Damage Than Other Breeds?

The damage that a dog does when it bites depends on the location of the bite, the victim’s behavior while being bitten (twisting away will cause more damage than holding still), and the size ratio between dog and victim, among other factors. Breed has very little to do with bite strength or level of damage. You can look at a dog bite and guess the dog’s size, the victim’s behavior, but you cannot guess the breed of dog that bit a person by looking at the dog bite.
Many numbers are floating around that claim to be the PSI (pounds per square inch) of pit bulls’ jaw strength. The numbers range wildly, from 800 PSI to 2000 PSI. These numbers are completely unfounded; there are no scientific studies to back any of these numbers up. In fact, bite force cannot even be accurately measured in PSI; the proper term is “pounds of force” or “Newtons” (metric system).
One study conducted by Dr. Brady Barr of National Geographic showed that the average domestic canine has an average bite of 320 pounds of force. In one portion of the documented study, Dr. Barr tested three dog breeds, a German Shepherd Dog, a Rottweiler and an American Pit Bull Terrier. The Rottweiler bit with 328 pounds of force, the highest pounds of force ever recorded from a domestic dog. The German Shepherd bit with 238 pounds of force, and the an American Pit Bull Terrier bit with 235 pounds of force."

I used to be afraid of pits and pit mixes but then I met a bunch of them and found them to be among the sweetest dogs ever. And I did some research. From what I've learned, I'd be pleased to add a pit mix to my household (full of kids, kittens, and guinea pigs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 09:32 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,985,455 times
http://www.dogsbite.org/reports/dogs...-2006-2008.pdf

Between January 1, 2006 to December 31, 2008,
DogsBite.org recorded 88 U.S. fatal dog attacks. The data shows
that pit bulls are responsible for 59% (52) of these attacks. The data
also shows that pit bulls commit the vast majority of off-property
attacks that result in death. Only 18% (16) of the attacks occurred
off owner property, yet pit bulls were responsible for 81% (13).
Pit bulls are also more likely to kill an adult than a child. In the 3-
year period, pit bulls killed more adults (ages 21 and over), 54%,
than they did children (ages 11 and younger), 46%. In the age
category of 21-54, pit bulls were responsible for 82% (14) of the
deaths. Pit bulls do not only kill children and senior citizens, they kill
men and women in their prime years: 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:38 AM

139 posts, read 349,631 times
Be forewarned: My pit bull will lick you to death.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:25 AM

322 posts, read 844,104 times
Here's the deal. Dogs are animals. You cannot predict what the will do or how they will react in ALL situations. Family pets have been known to bite their owners. It happens. For me, I would rather that it was a yorkie than a pit bull. In an effort to keep my children safe I keep them away from all pits and rots.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:50 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,388,741 times
My backyard neighbor has 3 girls that were raised with their pit bull (since the pit was a pup). They had a 4th girl and when that girl turned 17 months old, that pit bull attacked her while she eating at the dinner table (in a high chair). This pit bull was always playing, licking, and loving . . . until it snapped. The owners didn't raise it to be aggressive or mean - it was the family dog. The little girl survived but the mother had to plunge a kitchen knife in the dog to stop the attack (while the dad wrestled down the dog). The girl had 24 stitches and now they (including all the girls) are forever scared of dogs. Having a pit bull/Rottie is like owning an alligator, python, or a tiger. Sure, they are gentle and docile the vast majority of times . . . but then the moment comes where they snap and when then do, the alligator clamps down far harder/lethally than a gecko. The Python will coil and crush with more force than a milk snake. The tiger will scratch and bite with more power than a tabby cat. And a pit bull or Rottie with far more lethality than a poodle or lab. A loving Pit or Rottie - sure. The clock ticks.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:43 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,776,075 times
Another factor to consider is the ability to calm, as this humane society article discusses:
http://www.positivelytrained.com/edu...lly_Breeds.pdf

Old 08-26-2010, 07:49 PM

7,987 posts, read 10,327,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Also taken from the internet (we could be here the rest of our lives if "on the internet" is our only standard of authority, but whatever, I don't have time for more)

From the Love-A-Bull FAQ:

"Consider the following study performed by the National Canine Research Council: In August of 2007, four serious dog attacks were tracked. The attacks involved four different breeds (only one involved a pit bull). All of the attacks were severe, ranging from a fatal head and neck injury to severe hospitalizations (the fatality was not caused by the pit bull). The two hospitalizations and the fatality were reported only by local newspapers either one or two times. In contrast, the pit bull attack was reported over 230 times in national and international newspapers and in major television networks, including CNN, MSNBC and FOX. This severe bias has a devastating effect on public perception and takes a toll on public safety. For example, since 1965-2008, there have been 17 different breeds/types of dogs have been identified in connection with dog bite fatalities in Texas. All of the dogs have been intact (not spayed/neutered). A significant number of the dogs involved were either being used for breeding and/or lived their lives at the ends of chains. Austin has passed an anti-tethering law, but that law needs to be made state-wide. These causal factors are too often ignored as we focus on breed, and this is a detriment to public safety.
Can Pit Bulls Do More Damage Than Other Breeds?

The damage that a dog does when it bites depends on the location of the bite, the victim’s behavior while being bitten (twisting away will cause more damage than holding still), and the size ratio between dog and victim, among other factors. Breed has very little to do with bite strength or level of damage. You can look at a dog bite and guess the dog’s size, the victim’s behavior, but you cannot guess the breed of dog that bit a person by looking at the dog bite.
Many numbers are floating around that claim to be the PSI (pounds per square inch) of pit bulls’ jaw strength. The numbers range wildly, from 800 PSI to 2000 PSI. These numbers are completely unfounded; there are no scientific studies to back any of these numbers up. In fact, bite force cannot even be accurately measured in PSI; the proper term is “pounds of force” or “Newtons” (metric system).
One study conducted by Dr. Brady Barr of National Geographic showed that the average domestic canine has an average bite of 320 pounds of force. In one portion of the documented study, Dr. Barr tested three dog breeds, a German Shepherd Dog, a Rottweiler and an American Pit Bull Terrier. The Rottweiler bit with 328 pounds of force, the highest pounds of force ever recorded from a domestic dog. The German Shepherd bit with 238 pounds of force, and the an American Pit Bull Terrier bit with 235 pounds of force."

I used to be afraid of pits and pit mixes but then I met a bunch of them and found them to be among the sweetest dogs ever. And I did some research. From what I've learned, I'd be pleased to add a pit mix to my household (full of kids, kittens, and guinea pigs).
Um. I don't think a "study" based upon four whole attacks is quite as accurate or valid as studies that look at ALL dog bites, or at least all the ones bad enough to require a trip to the hospital (those are ones that are recorded). And I am by no means saying that pits are ALL bad dogs. I don't think they are. And I think they are unfairly vilified by the press. However, you can not deny the fact that they are responsible for a disproportionate number of bites and attacks compared to other breeds.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:01 PM

3,038 posts, read 3,216,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Um. I don't think a "study" based upon four whole attacks is quite as accurate or valid as studies that look at ALL dog bites, or at least all the ones bad enough to require a trip to the hospital (those are ones that are recorded). And I am by no means saying that pits are ALL bad dogs. I don't think they are. And I think they are unfairly vilified by the press. However, you can not deny the fact that they are responsible for a disproportionate number of bites and attacks compared to other breeds.
Not to mention the fact that the entire post really does nothing to sway anyone who believes pitbulls are not dangerous. I would think that pro pitbull folks would not want to engage in "well yeah, but breed XXX is _even_more_ dangerous" arguments (who cares how many more psi a rottweiler can bite more than a pitbull, in either case they can kill or several injure human beings). Pit bulls may very well be getting a bad rap from the media, but in the end the numbers are the numbers.

I just want to state that I have absolutely nothing against pitbulls (or any other breed of dog), I grew up with dogs most of my childhood (including dogs whose job it was to be guard dogs). I'm just stating from the standpoint of delivering an effective argument.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:34 PM

473 posts, read 1,322,934 times
Detroit: Pit bull owner pleads not guilty in boy's mauling | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/article/20100826/METRO03/8260452/1361/Pit-bull-owner-pleads-not-guilty-in-boy-s-mauling - broken link)

Sacramento: Woman Arrested After Pit Bulls Maul Neighbor To Death - KTXL

More Michigan: 2 Girls Attacked by Pit Bulls

Saugas, MA:Saugus cop attacked by pit bull http://www.thedailyitemoflynn.com/ar...ews/news07.txt

Waco: 2 pit bulls euthanized after attacking Rosebud woman - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |

UK: Huddersfield Examiner - News - Local West Yorkshire News - Man whose illegal pitbull ripped off Huddersfield woman's face is spared jail

Florence: Pit bull attacks pair of Florence officers | courierpostonline.com | Courier-Post

Milwaukee: Pit Bull Attack: Milwaukee neighbors upset with city's handling of pit bull attack - WITI (http://www.fox6now.com/news/witi-100824-pit-bull-attack,0,910595.story - broken link)

Orlando: Police: Family Pit Bull Attacks Girl, Grandfather - News Story - WESH Orlando (http://www.wesh.com/r/24718852/detail.html - broken link)

Atlanta: Infant improving after attack by pit bull *| ajc.com

These are all dated in the last 10 days, and I could post more but stopped because I think the point is made. I know some will blame the media, but it's not like there are dozens of German shepherds mauling people that the media is ignoring. I know, I know - this is only going to inspire pit owners to post about how their pit is wonderful around kids, and their pit would never hurt a fly, and this is all an owner's problem.... but still, there is a common denominator in these stories: the breed of the dog. You want to know why insurance companies won't insure pits? Because they see the statistics, not because they have a bias.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:39 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,372,771 times
I'm of the mind that when you see a lot of a certain breed in a shelter, there is a reason. Either the owners had "problems" with the dogs ... or they found that they couldn't find a place to rent with that particular breed. Both of which are good reasons for never owning one.

I'm just glad that my apartment complex made the guy with the pitt bull rehome it. I was terrified of that dog. Every single time it saw a person or another dog, it went frothing mad. It nearly slipped its leash once to try to get to me. I used to be scared to walk down to the laundry room or hang out in the courtyard. It's a big relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin