Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 02:47 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,189,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko View Post
If you end up in Austin, particularly against your will, try to make the most of it. The unique characters you see can make for quite the theater. If you see something that doesn't agree with you my suggestion is to look, chuckle, but don't touch. It is part of the scene.
Great comment - especially this paragraph!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 07:37 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,809,751 times
You have nothing to worry about, Austin is stagnated except for it appears to be growing in regards to retail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantpoll View Post
I moved to Austin, Texas a few years ago, and I love it! I just hope that Austin doesn't allow itself to grow too large. But I suppose that is what happens when people love the city!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:30 PM

174 posts, read 499,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko View Post
Generally people who live in Austin or who have lived there do not hate it. Some people who have never lived there do because they don't like the easy going atmosphere. I lived in Austin in 1965 as a 10 year old boy and loved it. I lived there as a college student from 1973 to 1977 and loved it. In between I lived in Killeen, an army town, and did not care for Killeen. The Vietnam war was going on then and Killeen was populated by narrow minded cranks who saw that their world was changing (It was thank goodness!) and tried to take it out on the young people of the time. My high school teachers described UT Austin as Gomorah on the Colorado River. I figured there had to be something good about it and decided to go to college there. I had a blast, but by 1977 the place had changed enough for me to want to leave. I went in the service and was stationed in El Paso, TX. Most servicemen who are stationed there do not like El Paso and called it El *******. I did like El Paso because I had a good situation there, but don't want to return except for visits.

So it is possible for someone to like a place that most people don't. Likewise it is possible to dislike a place that most people do based on their personal situation. I could like Killeen now that I am grown and can influence my environment in ways that an adolesent cannot.

Austin is a university town and a state capital. That gives it some unique qualities. There are more young people. Some of them are smarter. It is more expensive than the rest of Texas. It is a high tech. place. It is hot (this is Texas). You are not as likely to be blessed or bothered by snow or cold weather (this is Texas). You are more likely to be executed for a capital crime (this is Texas).

If you end up in Austin, particularly against your will, try to make the most of it. The unique characters you see can make for quite the theater. If you see something that doesn't agree with you my suggestion is to look, chuckle, but don't touch. It is part of the scene.

My wife and I may retire in Austin.
To me that's kind sick and twisted it almost makes you wonder that only people in Austin are concerned with watching a real live version of South Park in there city and even encourage it.I guess that's there form of free entertainment since everything else cost money.Till there the ones who wake up and realize there part of the punchline.Then it's not funny anymore. I think it's called the lowest common denominated form of humor or, being childish. I notice A lot of people there try to emulate what they see on TV and I enjoy comedy/action/ and other forms of entertainment, but I don't try to bring the stupidity of Family guy, The Simpsons,South Park in to it, and let those be the factors of how I make my decision in Life. People in Austin seem to have a fondness for using those shows as a benchmark for there decisions making process in Austin.

Last edited by thedude72; 01-08-2009 at 09:47 PM..

Old 01-08-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I notice that this list, like many of the lists about Austin negatives, really applies to the entire state not specifically Austin. More so to the other cities in the states (Dallas, Houston esp. are less scenic... Houston has more bugs, etc).

It's seems you have to accept a baseline of Texas attributes when coming to Austin: Sprawl, hot weather, less scenery, critters, high property taxes.

Austin's infrastructure/traffic problem is somewhat unique, I'll give you that. But the traffic and distances in DFW or Houston make commuting just as bad, although the roads are much better.
The galleria area in Houston is nice an the city is close to Galveston and the coast, all be it's not the cleaner part of Texas coastline but what part of the Texas Coast line is? With the exception of South Padre Island which is closer to Houston by the way.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:27 PM

322 posts, read 746,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude72 View Post
To me that's kind sick and twisted it almost makes you wonder that only people in Austin are concerned with watching a real live version of South Park in there city and even encourage it.I guess that's there form of free entertainment since everything else cost money.Till there the ones who wake up and realize there part of the punchline.Then it's not funny anymore. I think it's called the lowest common denominated form of humor or, being childish. I notice A lot of people there try to emulate what they see on TV and I enjoy comedy/action/ and other forms of entertainment, but I don't try to bring the stupidity of Family guy, The Simpsons,South Park in to it, and let those be the factors of how I make my decision in Life. People in Austin seem to have a fondness for using those shows as a benchmark for there decisions making process in Austin.
Thinking outside the box, I like it. What you say makes perfect sense too.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:32 PM

I used to live in Bryan/College Station for while and it was alright,all the small town charm and advantages of big city,but now it's gone.Expansion just like Austin except it's more the university doing the expanding.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:18 PM

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeJ View Post
I lived in austin for 2 years, and as a Hispanic I definately experienced both subtle and obvious racial animosity from Anglos.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:25 PM

729 posts, read 2,059,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I agree.
I agree too...especially if your have a better job, have a nicer house, and drive a nicer car...then the anomosity is more apparent.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:34 PM

That do not like that Hispanics are sophisticated and responsible people that are enjoying their lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth from ELP View Post
I agree too...especially if your have a better job, have a nicer house, and drive a nicer car...then the anomosity is more apparent.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:31 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,025,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
That do not like that Hispanics are sophisticated and responsible people that are enjoying their lives.
I am assuming your post meant to write "They do not like that...." If it is, exactly who are "they"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin