Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2009, 07:02 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,649 times

Advertisements

ok, some comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpsandHorns View Post
AUSTIN is not some utopia. I love Texas more than any other place but Austin has some downsides...

Most people love the big city- small town hybrid of Austin ...but...

Small Town Issues
1. There are no professional Sports. it might be the biggest metro area in the country (las vegas??) without any of the 4 pro sports teams. Although, my beloved Horns do draw attention.
I absolutely agree with you! Austin is the largest city in the country to not have any professional sports team (i think Las Vegas is second). The longhorns are college teams, which small cities like Austin generally try to follow when they aren't big enough for real sports teams.

2. Second Tier Air service. Expect to pay more to fly anywhere from a smaller Austin-Bergstrom airport (although growing)
Few airports in the country offer more pathetic air service than Austin. We generally have a joke in my family. Austin Airport is the largest airport in the country with NO PLANES!! Maybe not exactly true, but certainly not far off. Expect to connect through most hub cities if you wanna get anywhere from Austin po dunk.

3. Small Town Media. it just seems like the local TV, radio, and newspaper have no national cache or presence...career stepping stones to move into more prestigious media markets..
Without a doubt some of the worst media coverage in the country. The small town network tv station news and mostly unwatchable. It is a shame that the local cable stations don't allow newscasts from San Antonio or Houston. I just think it's amusing how the small market people in this city couldn't make it in a "real metro market".

4. Limited Cultural Assets Austin does okay for its size. But, people expect more from a city of over a million people
Limited if any culture here. Head to Houston or Dallas to find that.

Big City Issues
1. Sprawl and congestion. Austin used to be this green well planned oasis, but it is morphing into a cookie-cutter subdivision of endless traffic. This might actually be a small town issue as it has the roads of a small town with a big town population
THe roads in Austin are mostly from the "horse and buggy days". There is no money to improve roads in this town, so the traffic continues to get worse and worse while TXDot and the City of Austin just watch and let it happen. The top 3 cities in this state, get all the money for their freeway systems.

2. Pollution and Trash This is a relatively new phenomenon due to its rampant out-of-control sprawling growth
I really don't think pollution is a big problem here, except on those mid summer days over 100 degrees with no wind. Overall, I think the air quality is better here than in Houston and Dallas.

3. Rising Costs and Snobbery Austin is probably not quite the laid-back low key town it wants to be...expect plenty of newcomers to keep up with the jones
An extremely arrogant city by my standards. Austin pretty much has little or anything to offer it's residents. The city of Austin doesn't give a damn about it's citizens and it shows in every possible way. The funny thing is that Austin will NEVER reach San Antonio, Dallas, or Houston, but always likes to think it's big"SH*T!! It will always be number 4 in this state.You will always have to drive elsewhere to do anything interesting.

I love Austin. But, it needs to make up its mind what it wants to be....instead of the benefits of big city/small town hybrid, Austin is starting to feel the downsides to both.

But, all in all it is one of the best places in America to live...for now...check back in 5 more years of this growth cycle...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 07:23 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
artsyguy, when did you graduate from UT? If you didn't graduate from there (or, for that matter, even if you didn't actually graduate), how long did you attend? Was this when you weren't living in Austin? Or when you were living here (except last I heard, instead of living here and attending UT and having co-workers, you only visited your cousin here)?

Old 09-09-2009, 03:53 PM

27 posts, read 85,111 times
Default I hate Austin

I hate Austin too. People here think this city is so cool, I have not idea why. I moved from a real city, Chicago, so to me Austin is extremely boring. I am bored and tired of seeing people cover their bodies with tattoos. I guess they don't have any ambition besides hanging out in Austin and drinking beer. I moved downtown where I thought I would have an urban lifestyle, how naive of me!!! There is nothing urban about Austin. The public transportation is very bad, Nobody walks - which to me is a contradiction - people here think they are hippie, cool and green, but most people drive big trucks - I am usually the only one walking downtown. I can write an essay why I dislike this city so much. I am so ready to leave!

Old 09-09-2009, 04:01 PM

786 posts, read 2,761,655 times
Sounds like you did not research the city prior to moving here.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:54 PM

132 posts, read 496,938 times
I love seeing how much people hate Austin. Maybe that'll make people start to actually move AWAY instead of to Austin.

GIVE ME BACK MY CITY!!!

D

Old 09-09-2009, 08:34 PM

60 posts, read 188,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dburatti View Post
I love seeing how much people hate Austin. Maybe that'll make people start to actually move AWAY instead of to Austin.

GIVE ME BACK MY CITY!!!

D
Believe me, I'll spread the word as much as I can.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,410 times
Check out this website. 101 Great Things to do in Austin (http://studentorgs.utexas.edu/acccf/section/nstudent/todo101.htm - broken link) Maybe you will like it more if you do some fun things,

Old 09-09-2009, 10:18 PM

60 posts, read 188,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by george010170 View Post
Check out this website. 101 Great Things to do in Austin (http://studentorgs.utexas.edu/acccf/section/nstudent/todo101.htm - broken link) Maybe you will like it more if you do some fun things,
Not sure if this is direct at me or the other person but I'll take a crack at it.

My dislike for Austin has nothing to do with the amount of things to do in this city. I know there's plenty to do.

My beef is with the poor transportation, large population, ugliness, urban sprawl, and now Austin is teetering on violating federal clean air standards.

I want to breathe clean air. Which is why I just have to shake my head in disgust when some people talk about how great Houston is. Why don't they google 'houston air quality' ? They'll come to find out that next to Los Angeles, Houston has the poorest, most polluted air in the country.

Anyways, I'm done with my rant.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:00 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceshots View Post
Sounds like you did not research the city prior to moving here.
You hit the nail on the head. Austin isn't for everyone. It's not a large city and it's rapid growth in the last 10 years has caused a lot of undesirable issues (traffic, sprawl and lack of infrastructure). That said, it's my home and I love it, but I don't expect (nort do I want) everyone to feel that way.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:53 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Dude!

Austin has been teetering on violating the Clean Air for at least the last decade! Texas is a business-friendly, low regulation kind of place and it has been so for nearly a century. If clean air is a priority (we all want clean air) then Texas shouldn't have even been on your list as a place to move! Sound like you failed to do much googling before you arrived.

Now, if you want to help improve the air quality and argue for greater regulation of polluters, please do. We need your voice but please don't be surprised by the air quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin