U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-28-2007, 12:30 AM

3 posts, read 7,706 times
Default Neighborhoods with convenient access to UT

Hi everyone,

My wife and I will be moving to Austin later this summer. I'll be working (although no job lined up yet), and my wife will be attending grad school at UT. We'll only have one car, to be used by me (she can't even drive, so there's no possibility of her using it), so we're looking for an area that will have convenient access to campus for my wife. Her department secretary said that a lot of students live in Hyde Park. Someone on another forum recommended Northwest Hills or Tarrytown as well. What do you all know about these areas? How convenient is it to get to campus from them? How does access to campus compare to the University Apartments? Would it be the kind of thing where there are shuttle buses available, but they don't go to her area of campus or something like that?

Since I will be looking for a job after arriving there, we're not really going to factor my job into our decision at all. We're basically looking for somewhere that will give my wife an easy commute.

Also, if there's a good neighborhood that also happens to have good access to Chinese food or a Chinese grocery, or just lots of Chinese people, that would be good too (my wife is from China).

Oh, we're looking to rent a 1-2 bedroom place. We're hoping to come in under $800/month. No kids. No pets (for now).

Thanks for any advice anyone can give.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 06:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,600 times
I know what you mean, my family and I lived around that area in an apartment while I was finishing school. We moved from Austin about 6 years ago and came back this summer and we were looking in the Steiner Ranch area, but also found that the homes on the market were already pending and way too old. On the other hand, the new homes were out of our range. We finally drove to Pflugerville and found the perfect home with great access to I30 where it would take my husband less time to get to work. We found a home on Kelly Lane at the Avalon community. My husband has a great eye for good potential properties. I don't know if you are aware of the huge shopping center that will be in construction pretty soon in front of the High school next to Wal-Mart. There is a website on NewQuest properties and you can see the enormous property value that we might be looking at in the future. The completion date should be spring of 2008 I think. With this in mind I think we made the right choice of being a little further out of the NW but with quick access.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:57 AM

8,685 posts, read 17,634,553 times
I would look on the shuttle routes, rather than right on campus
PTS: Shuttle Map - System-Wide (http://www.utexas.edu/parking/transportation/shuttle/austin-bus.html - broken link)
The Far West area (the light orange route that runs to the upper left on the map - Hart LN and Wood hollow) was one of my favorites during college (although that was many years ago). A little newer than Hyde park and more space for less money. They shuttles were (are?) extremely convienent and run extensive hours.

A second option would be the Riverside area (the lower right on the map). This area was (is?) not quite as nice as Far West, but cheaper still.

Hyde Park is a great area as far as central location, but it all depends if you can find something you like for a good enough price.

Tarrytown is the area on the middle of the map to the left. It also has several shuttle routes and the university apartments are down that way (unless something has changed I don't know about). This area is very nice, but not sure on prices.

NW Hills is off the upper left of the shuttle map and I don't know about the shuttle service out there, but it is easily the furthest from campus.

As for the shuttle dropping her off on campus far from her building, the campus just isn't that big . You can pretty much get anywhere by walking four blocks. If the weather is bad, there is a shuttle that circles around campus to drop you off at various sides, so it would cut your walk down to a MAXIMUM of two blocks.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:54 PM

8,241 posts, read 10,272,055 times
I would venture east of 35 to French Place, there's lots going on over there, close to UT and with interestiing houses, restaurants and so on!

Old 06-29-2007, 03:05 PM

6 posts, read 11,763 times
Default downtown

Their is also downtown which is just south of UT. I dont know if you would be interested in condos. Some people love them and some hate them. But your wife would be close to UT and all the stuff to do in downtown Austin. If I didnt have a car I would want to be as close to downtown as possible.

I mean their are buses but buses are a pain.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:29 PM

3 posts, read 7,706 times
Thanks a lot for all the replies so far, everyone. A couple of questions:

Any neighborhoods that have been mentioned have bad crime rates?

What exactly is different between condos and apartments that "some people love them and some hate them?"

Old 07-01-2007, 11:16 AM

1,896 posts, read 4,537,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoby View Post
Thanks a lot for all the replies so far, everyone. A couple of questions:

Any neighborhoods that have been mentioned have bad crime rates?

What exactly is different between condos and apartments that "some people love them and some hate them?"

None of the neighborhoods mentioned have bad crime rates. The highest crime rates are associated with the areas east of I-35 within Austin's city limits.

As you are looking for an apartment in the less than $800 range, I wouldn't worry too much about condos. Although some condos are rented out, most are owner-occupied. Concentrate your search on apartments. I'm afraid that in that price range you will have a difficult time finding anything directly downtown. I would concentrate on the area north of downtown along the UT shuttle route. I don't know how old you are, but if you're older than college-aged, I wouldn't really recommend living right by UT.

And I totally agreed with Trainwreck, you need to find a place that is serviced by the shuttle, not just regular city bus service. Check out his link if you haven't already.

There is a new shopping area in North Austin called Chinatown Center that your wife will probably find interesting:

Chinatown Austin - Current Events

And here's a link to the Austin Chinese Church:

Welcome to Austin Chinese Church

Old 07-03-2007, 07:41 AM

4,010 posts, read 6,100,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoby View Post
Hi everyone,

My wife and I will be moving to Austin later this summer. I'll be working (although no job lined up yet), and my wife will be attending grad school at UT. We'll only have one car, to be used by me (she can't even drive, so there's no possibility of her using it), so we're looking for an area that will have convenient access to campus for my wife. Her department secretary said that a lot of students live in Hyde Park. Someone on another forum recommended Northwest Hills or Tarrytown as well. What do you all know about these areas? How convenient is it to get to campus from them? How does access to campus compare to the University Apartments? Would it be the kind of thing where there are shuttle buses available, but they don't go to her area of campus or something like that?

Since I will be looking for a job after arriving there, we're not really going to factor my job into our decision at all. We're basically looking for somewhere that will give my wife an easy commute.

Also, if there's a good neighborhood that also happens to have good access to Chinese food or a Chinese grocery, or just lots of Chinese people, that would be good too (my wife is from China).

Oh, we're looking to rent a 1-2 bedroom place. We're hoping to come in under $800/month. No kids. No pets (for now).

Thanks for any advice anyone can give.
A lot of my friends who are grad students live in the area just north of campus around 51st and lamar. Avenue, J, G, etc. Houses there used to be reasonably priced to buy, not sure about rents though. These days the purchases prices are really high. You might want to look for one of the chinese student association websites and email someone for recommendations of places to live.

Here is a search engine to find student orgs (search is chinese right now)
Office of the Dean of Students - Student Activities and Leadership Development - Student Organizations (http://utdirect.utexas.edu/dsorg/lists.wb?method=K&data=chinese - broken link)

Here is the list of student orgs that have hosted websites
Student Organizations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin