Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 12:09 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,040 times

Advertisements

It, strangely enough, is seen(bartenders blowing fire out of their mouths) in most touristy areas that have a party reputation, ala New Orleans, Key West, and such....I can't say I ever found any bartenter who could, or was willing to, blow flames out of his mouth, ala swigging straight vodka with other little additions, to create that flame effect, in Austin, sadly ....I would certainly be willing to throw an extra tip on the bar for that.....

Has anyone ever encountered bartenders who blow flames out of their mouths in Austin? Here are a few pics of a guy that does it on a regular basis at a bar in Wisconsin Dells we used to party at a few years ago when I was back home visiting...keep in mind this is a crazy biker bar, and the most popular one in town....little tricks like human flamethrowing bartenders DO tend to bring in the tourist dollars there..

Here are a few pics of Mike, blowing out a nice foot-long flame....so far, Mike has not been in the burn unit of Baraboo General Hospital. Note how the flame reaches about 2 inches from his face..he blows extra hard to pull this off....Mike cannot eat Mexican food the night of a "performance", BTW....that 2-inch window would be gone with just one chimichanga...

Pics of Mike at work:
Attached Thumbnails
Do we have any bartenders in Austin that can blow fire out of their mouths?-crazy-mike-blowing-flames-3.bmp   Do we have any bartenders in Austin that can blow fire out of their mouths?-crazy-mike-work-blowing-flames-1.bmp   Do we have any bartenders in Austin that can blow fire out of their mouths?-crazy-mike-blowing-flames-2.bmp  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 12:29 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Didn't I read somewhere that Austin is one of the most educated cities in the country? Could be a reason right there...

Old 08-30-2010, 12:57 PM

Sheeshh, you sure wouldn't know it spending a Saturday Night on a barricaded 6th street...I don't think they are holding poetry readings in those bars! I say flame away.....intelligence is only in the eye of the BEERholder...

Old 08-30-2010, 03:18 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Don't try this at home!

This is not hard to do but works best if you use a really high proof alcohol, its more flammable.

A friend of mine once shared some home made moonshine with me that worked really great for this. We were outdoors. It was fun splashing a little into the campfire, it exploded in flames before it ever got close to the ground.

I'm not saying this is smart to do or anything someone should try, especially after having drank a few.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:22 PM

434 posts, read 1,309,539 times
I play in a band most every weekend, the closest I've seen this to Austin was in a place called "The Barn" in Mission Texas. Close to Victoria...no poetry readings going on there for sure.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:26 PM

230 posts, read 544,881 times
Fire-breathing bartenders arrested, face 45 years

Fire-breathing bartenders arrested, face 45 years | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local/Fire-breathing-bartenders-arrested_-face-45-years-510761-100943524.html - broken link)

Old 08-30-2010, 03:31 PM

The "Barn" sounds like a crazy place...I can imagine not a whole lot of "readings" took place there.
Or Kumbaya prayer circles......

Unfortunately, those who do this are involuntary members of the "Darwin Society", in that they tend to eliminate themselves from the gene pool, limiting the genetic tendency to blow fire out of one's mouth to impress....

I think one would have to have at least 7 shots before the higher regions of the brain stop saying no.....when the limbic system shuts down, you can get the camera ready for this...

Simple process....drink 7 shots of jagger, get camera, blow flames with the 8th and 9th, ala a double shot....then go to sleep/home, whatever comes first..

Old 08-30-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhudson78660 View Post
Fire-breathing bartenders arrested, face 45 years

Fire-breathing bartenders arrested, face 45 years | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local/Fire-breathing-bartenders-arrested_-face-45-years-510761-100943524.html - broken link)
At the bottom it says they dropped the charges...somehow I get the feeling that it was a set-up for publicity...makes no sense that they did it for 10 years without incident, and never had probs before..brilliant way to get notice for the bar, especially with todays economy, have to get customers in anyway you can, even with a phony charge that was set up to be dropped....or maybe they just didnt pay off their local inspector, and got shaken down, who knows!

Old 08-30-2010, 03:39 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
I bet someone at Esther's Follies can do this - or knows someone that can.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I bet someone at Esther's Follies can do this - or knows someone that can.
I'll bet esther herself can do many tricks we don't know about...she's double-jointed, by the way.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: