Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,627 times

Advertisements

did they catch these guys

[URL="http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/top_stories/APD-Receives-Tips-on-HS-Student-Assault-20100825-ktbcw"][/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 10:57 AM

99 posts, read 180,093 times
Reports this am mentioned that the girl who made the claim recanted her testimony and the police have stopped looking for suspects.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:04 AM

16,787 posts, read 48,882,404 times
I remembered that story in the statesman and went there to see if there was an update.

The following update makes me think it was a fabrication.

Austin news, sports, weather, Longhorns, business | Statesman.com

Quote:
A teen who reported an attempted sexual assault by four men along a residential road near Bowie High School last week has recanted portions of her story, according to a statement issued by Austin police this morning.

The report, made on the first day of school Aug. 23, initially said the teen was walking along Norman Trail in Southwest Austin when she was approached by men in a pickup.

The teen said she was pulled into the bed of the pickup but was able to get away, police said.
Upon further investigation, “this incident did not occur as initially reported,” according to a statement issued today by APD Cpl. Scott Perry. Police are no longer seeking the public’s assistance in locating people matching the suspects’ description or the vehicle described, the statement said.

“The victim has recanted portions of her story,” the statement said. “Charges are not expected to be filed on anyone at this time.”

Old 09-01-2010, 05:40 PM

355 posts, read 1,228,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I remembered that story in the statesman and went there to see if there was an update.

The following update makes me think it was a fabrication.

Austin news, sports, weather, Longhorns, business | Statesman.com
Wow, bowie high school is right down the street from me. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't automatically label her story a fabrication just because she "recanted" parts of her story..if that is even true. I find it suspicious that the police didn't go into detail about which parts of her story she lied about...also, the young girl could have been threatened or told to shut up...that plus the fact that Austin tries to keep their squeaky clean image......I don't find this story far-fetched though, when I looked at crime rates for Austin, I found that rape was amongst one of the higest crimes...in fact the numbers are sky-rocketing! Me being a young women myself, when I just go to walk the dog I get blows and car horns blowing...I also see the way men stare and gawk and a lot of the school girls who wait for their school bus....there should be more protection at the school and where kids frequently visit or are located.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:46 AM

3,202 posts, read 5,991,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajae90 View Post
Wow, bowie high school is right down the street from me. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't automatically label her story a fabrication just because she "recanted" parts of her story..if that is even true. I find it suspicious that the police didn't go into detail about which parts of her story she lied about...also, the young girl could have been threatened or told to shut up...that plus the fact that Austin tries to keep their squeaky clean image......I don't find this story far-fetched though, when I looked at crime rates for Austin, I found that rape was amongst one of the higest crimes...in fact the numbers are sky-rocketing! Me being a young women myself, when I just go to walk the dog I get blows and car horns blowing...I also see the way men stare and gawk and a lot of the school girls who wait for their school bus....there should be more protection at the school and where kids frequently visit or are located.
I'll agree with you on this one, as that very thought crossed my mind as well. There seems to be a lot of dirt that gets swept under the rug in SW Austin in particular, while the image gets maintained for the sake of real estate value. Part of this is keeping crime "hush-hush" especially west of Mopac. I noticed that earlier this year when the 15-year-old kid got stabbed 6 times at on Escarpment in Circle C, and the entire event was conveniently erased. Another part of this effort has been the fabrication of negative perceptions towards adjacent communities and areas of town. Very deceitful, on this board and people I've met in real life. This has become very apparent to me since moving here 3 years ago.. the "smoke and mirrors", that is.

Sajae, do you ever feel like you're treated differently because you live on a particular side of Mopac?

Last edited by jobert; 09-02-2010 at 08:27 AM..

Old 09-02-2010, 08:15 AM

15,243 posts, read 35,474,152 times
I am a bit confused as to who is doing the hushing? The media? The police? the event was erased? They removed articles or what? Shredded the police report?

Old 09-02-2010, 08:18 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,931,046 times
This has happened at least once before at Bowie, several years ago, a girl being sexually assaulted on campus. Can't recall the details now.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I am a bit confused as to who is doing the hushing? The media? The police? the event was erased? They removed articles or what? Shredded the police report?
Most likely the homeowners, the people who have the most to lose, or it could be the police who want the heat turned down because they can't find these guys. As for the "hush-hush", the stabbing was in the news, but it was a three sentence blurb, and the event was somehow missing from the police reports. Usually when something that violent happens to a neighborhood teenager within a block of Dick Nichols Park, parents get freaked out, but this was downplayed to maintain normalcy.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:46 AM

302 posts, read 688,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Most likely the homeowners, the people who have the most to lose, or it could be the police who want the heat turned down because they can't find these guys. As for the "hush-hush", the stabbing was in the news, but it was a three sentence blurb, and the event was somehow missing from the police reports. Usually when something that violent happens to a neighborhood teenager within a block of Dick Nichols Park, parents get freaked out, but this was downplayed to maintain normalcy.

No one will ever disagree that when something as serious as "rape" happens or is attempted, it needs to be investigated to its fullest. Specially the people who live nearby, who would be freaked out of their minds that "they could be next".

Saying there's a conspiracy by the "homeowners" to "hush" any type of story about violent crime that happens here goes into far into the realms of fantasy and paranoia.

Watch conspiracy movies much?

Old 09-02-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERiv View Post

Saying there's a conspiracy by the "homeowners" to "hush" any type of story about violent crime that happens here goes into far into the realms of fantasy and paranoia.

Watch conspiracy movies much?
More into romantic comedies, actually.

I've seen and heard enough since living here to formulate a solid opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin