U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 10:30 PM

2,522 posts, read 3,650,458 times
Default Ever hear of a famous underground Austin paper called "The Rag"? If not, you have NO idea how revolutionary Austin was!

The Rag

...Junior...WAY before the Californians that were priced out of their homeland heard of the place, and were busy in their own Haight-Ashbury's, Austin was a hotbed of 1960's revolution and anti-war protests....AND had one of the first underground newspapers many years before the Chronicle, and infinitely more wild and liberal, called "The Rag".....

I don't think many folks at all have a clue as to how radical the old Austin once was, before it got co-opted by the establishment, and became Mesa Arizona East.....

If you don't believe me, watch the entire 20-minute video here of the old hippie Austin of the 60's and early 70's, and read a few copies of "The Rag", the first year of which is entirely uploaded onto this website...and then realize how this city has been co-opted by growth into something about as radical as a milkshake...
Poor Austin....they killed your spirit, and turned you into a corporate shill, but how proud you once were!

The Rag

Last edited by inthecut; 09-02-2010 at 11:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 10:35 PM

By the way, "The Rag" was a liberal answer to the John Birch-ish right wing "Daily Texan", which still survives today, sadly....funny how the proper, convervative voice lives on, while the free spirits of Austin have left the building, even on campus, per the newspapers!

ladies and gentleman, brought to you by the John Birch society/NRA, its the "Daily Texan"!

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/

Last edited by inthecut; 09-02-2010 at 10:56 PM..

Old 09-03-2010, 01:13 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,208,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
By the way, "The Rag" was a liberal answer to the John Birch-ish right wing "Daily Texan", which still survives today, sadly....funny how the proper, convervative voice lives on, while the free spirits of Austin have left the building, even on campus, per the newspapers!

ladies and gentleman, brought to you by the John Birch society/NRA, its the "Daily Texan"!

The Daily Texan
The few liberals newspaper sprouting in progressive havens gave way to the alternative weeklies in the 80s. As you may know, that DIY spirit lives on the internet for the millenials, not the same thing, but it is appropriate for their time in history. One such publication which is still prints on paper is Austin Daze - Keeping Austin Weird Online and Bi-Monthly Zines.

Their digital presence nothing like their bi-monthly publication. Full on Austin luuve! . Everyone should it check it out sometime at your local, independent Austin businesses!

Old 09-03-2010, 07:21 AM

16,257 posts, read 22,171,448 times
I read The Rag religiously back in the day. Somewhere around here I have a copy of the Austin Chronicle issue that had a long article about their predecessor.

That was a magical time in Austin - or maybe it was just the stage of life, but it was magical for a lot of people of a lot of different ages, from what I remember (it being the 60's, of course, what I remember would be somewhat spotty).

Old 09-03-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
The few liberals newspaper sprouting in progressive havens gave way to the alternative weeklies in the 80s. As you may know, that DIY spirit lives on the internet for the millenials, not the same thing, but it is appropriate for their time in history. One such publication which is still prints on paper is Austin Daze - Keeping Austin Weird Online and Bi-Monthly Zines.

Their digital presence nothing like their bi-monthly publication. Full on Austin luuve! . Everyone should it check it out sometime at your local, independent Austin businesses!
Well, Just the Abbie Hoffman-esqe by-line, Steal this Website, spoke volumes for me....yep, this looks like the real thing....genuine article...Imonfiya, where can you find the hard copy of this? Any places you know of? Austin Chron is what I suppose you could call a mainstream alternative weekly, i suppose the corrollary of mainstream alternative music...

BTW, want to know where the term "alternative" rock came from in the first place? When grunge and such first came out in the early 90's, it really couldn't be classified in the pop or conventional music sections, being quite harsher and far more guitar based...Alternative was just a catch-all tag that CD jobbers used when they stocked stores like Best Buy and Wal-mart...just a tab, like the tabs at record stores, you could fit anything in...so it really wasn't alternative, they just had no idea what to call or place it....so "alternative" weeklies just capitalized on that word, which was NEVER used before the term came out for music..it was always UNDERGROUND, ala underground comix(think furry freak brothers)...

All I really see in the Chron are advertisements for beer, computer stores, and benetton looking pretty ads for clothes, in a oh so hip shallow way...
and VERY rarely anything per protest-orientated events, almost no public service freebe ads for causes, and such....pretty much in the same way that Rolling Stone itself has turned into Cosmopolitan magazine....

Thank god there is still somethine resembling an actual underground paper out there....I hate to think that some students think the right wing "Daily Texan" is any approximation of the same either!

Old 09-03-2010, 09:32 AM

BTW, THL, the rag has prob the best blog in Austin...not probably, absolutely....just so beautifully done.....not sure who is still running this, but I would imagine some of the old crew still have their fingers in the pie with this one

The Rag Blog

And you have to love the by-line ..."Brought to you by the miracle of functioning anarchy!"....I wonder if that was the old by-line in the later years of the print version?

And here are many of the old writers of the rag, in a rag writers blog, showing off their recent(and old) books, and some of their newer writings, and what they are doing now..

The Rag Authors' Page

Old 09-03-2010, 10:36 AM

3,143 posts, read 3,329,712 times
Thanks for the link.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:53 AM

14,318 posts, read 20,118,943 times
Awesome thanks for the links.

Gentle Thursday, what a great concept. A day for being gentle and kind to each other and having fun. Amazing that the UT administration was so threatened by Gentle Thursday that it was banned on campus.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:53 AM

I found something else really cool on the web...a bunch of interviews of former "Rag" writers and staff members(all looking great, BTW...so ,cool how we take care of ourselves now...some woman writers are there that must be about 60-ish now and still beautiful.) This is FAR better than that little movie...each writer gets about a 7 minute interview, and all have superb stories of the old Austin back in the day(so many are hilarious as well. I love that old expression per skinny dipping in austin, "gettin' nekkid"!)....the office was actually literally "underground", so they would crawl in the window to get in the basement level office, standing on file cabinets..one new naive worker thought the paper was called "underground" per that literal crawling in the basement thing..hilarious...
Here are all the interviews! I would imagine most still live in the area..

Rag Reunion Clips

And the paper was located at 2000 N Guadalupe...I google mapped it if you want to see the basement entrance where they crawled in(just to the side, where the cars ar parked, in the white building!)

Google Maps

Old 09-03-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Awesome thanks for the links.

Gentle Thursday, what a great concept. A day for being gentle and kind to each other and having fun. Amazing that the UT administration was so threatened by Gentle Thursday that it was banned on campus.
We need "gentle thursdays" now! Funny thing is, if they had a pro-war day, that would have been fine...but, a day for just a little togetherness, a little peace, a little love...bad! Bad! BAD!.....BANNED!....

Some say if Christ came back to earth today and espoused the exact teachings in the beatitudes(sermon on the mount), he would have been labeled a "radical"...

Here is what he said there, pretty much the whole concept of what the 60's movement was all about:

THE EIGHT BEATITUDES OF JESUS

"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure of heart, for they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.
Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

I Suppose if Christ said these things now, or in the 60's, he would have been labeled a "Commie Pinko"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin