Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 11:26 AM

355 posts, read 1,230,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
Why are you afraid of cats?
LOL, I don't know, they just seem so unpredictable to me. They pounce on you, they stare in your eyes (like their barreling into your soul lol), they scratch and most of all they are fiesty. They just scare me and I find that they are just unpredictable. They make these sudden movements that scare the crap out of me. lol I know its wierd, I use to never be scared of cats when I was real little, I think something must have happened to me involving cats that I can't quite remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 4,868 times
OMG!!! I just moved to Alabama, leased a house, while sitting in the screened porch I saw about half dozen of ugly discusting black or dark brown looking bugs about an inch or bigger. I thought they were black beetles. That night my son ran up the steps yelling there are cockroches in the kitchen. He try to kill it by drenching my kitchen with the sink house. I am from Ohio I never had bugs bigger then a ant in my house. I am so upset I didn't eat a bite that whole day. I cried all day long. I have ocd, but I never knew how bad it was till now. Is a very serious illness, it can cause you to do unspeakable things. Even suicide. I refuse to unpack my things. I keep hosing down house with bleach. The house has a eek smell to it. I need help! Do they ever leave the house or will I have to move to an all concrete and glass house?

Old 08-08-2013, 11:11 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times
In Alabama they're considered pets.

It's best to name them so you can tell them apart.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:38 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,002 times
I'm not sure a 3 year old thread in the Austin, TX forum will be of much use to you. You might want to pose this question to the Alabama forums and perhaps they'll have some pest control companies to recommend to you. Have you tried talking to your landlord about the roach problem? I can't speak for Alabama rental contracts, but perhaps there's some provision regarding regular pest control?

Old 08-10-2013, 10:58 AM

55 posts, read 136,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajae90 View Post
LOL, I know, but up North, they have roaches to, but those were the roaches you could douse with a little Raid and call it a day, these suckers down here are COCKroaches the size of mount everest, you can beat that thing with a skillet and it will still pop up like Bruce Lee!

have you considered writing movie reviews or books !! very entertaining

Old 08-11-2013, 06:14 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,797 times
There's a "birth control" gel you can pick up at a Lowes or Home depot. It's in a brown and gold box. Can't remember the brand. Ask the people in that section...

Use the syringe to place a bead of the gel along the cracks. They eat it and take it home for the family. Problem solved. We used it in Hawaii all the time. And there, the cockroach is the state mascot!

Old 08-28-2013, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,868 times
Thank you all for the great funny responses, y'all had me cracking up! I did hire Mr. Bug, they were wonderful, and very reassuring, that it was not my fault, he was funny and told me they are American Roaches and they like to be out doors, so I douse our yard with Ortho chem and racked every stick under the sun!! I beat them!!! Hahahaha teaches them fools to mess with me!!

Old 08-28-2013, 01:23 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzy69 View Post
Thank you all for the great funny responses, y'all had me cracking up! I did hire Mr. Bug, they were wonderful, and very reassuring, that it was not my fault, he was funny and told me they are American Roaches and they like to be out doors, so I douse our yard with Ortho chem and racked every stick under the sun!! I beat them!!! Hahahaha teaches them fools to mess with me!!
Not so fast Mitzy.....You know what they say about cockroaches & if they dropped an atomic bomb.

Quote:
The cockroach survival myth seems to have originated with the development of the atom bomb. In The Cockroach Papers: A Compendium of History and Lore, journalist Richard Schweid notes that roaches were reported to have survived the blasts at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, leading some to believe that they would inherit the Earth after a nuclear war. This idea spread during the 1960s, in part due to its dissemination by anti-nuclear activists. For example, a famous advertisement sponsored by the National Committee for a Sane Nuclear Policy and referenced in a 1968 New York Times article read, in part, "A nuclear war, if it comes, will not be won by the Americans … the Russians … the Chinese. The winner of World War III will be the cockroach."

Old 08-28-2013, 05:03 PM

94 posts, read 155,109 times
I had a couple of those wonderful tree roaches sneak through the open sliding glass door. One jumped out of my laundry basket and the smaller of my two cats decided to follow it on it's journey down the hall and into the second bathroom. She looked up at me as if to say, 'what is that and what am I supposed to do with it?' I looked at her and told her she was to kill it and she jumped up on the bathtub. I collected the intruder with a glass and threw it back outside. Then I put glass in the dishwasher, looked at the cat and just shook my head.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:34 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,797 times
Default Found the name of the gel

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
There's a "birth control" gel you can pick up at a Lowes or Home depot. It's in a brown and gold box. Can't remember the brand. Ask the people in that section...

Use the syringe to place a bead of the gel along the cracks. They eat it and take it home for the family. Problem solved. We used it in Hawaii all the time. And there, the cockroach is the state mascot!
Found the name of the gel in case you need it again -- Combat. Just saw it it at Lowes and Home Depot. It's good to get a tube of it and keep it around. if you see any more critters, just run a thin bead along the bottom of the cabinets and maybe inside the cabinet along the cracks. Pets don't bother with it, but it's like catnip for cockroaches. It's less of a hassle than boric acid and less costly than the exterminator. Plus, when they do all that spraying, you're exposing yourself to a boatload of chemicals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: