U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:02 AM

9,182 posts, read 10,050,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

Oh, as for the dress - that's one of the joys of Austin. You can dress up if you want, but it's not required that you fit into this or that little box in order to go out and enjoy yourself. Classic image, at Jeffrey's: people in formal attire for the opera standing in line next to people in blue jeans and cowboy boots, no one having any issue with how anyone else is dressed at all.
I disagree. If you go to a western bar then it's okay to dress like a cowboy. If you are going to a lounge then there should be a dress code of sort banning people from entering wearing cheap t-shirts and jeans.

What was astonishing is the crowd was exactly the same regardless of where you went. Whether it was 4th street or 6th street. It was the same people people dressed the same way and acting the same way. People are really loud and clamoring for attention. In LA for example, people are more discreet and laid back. They might dress well but you will never see guys in trendy LA and Scottsdale spots standing outside a club and yelling at people to come in.

It's just a different vibe, it's not better or worse but coming from the West Coast, it was not what I was expecting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 12:22 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,270,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I disagree. If you go to a western bar then it's okay to dress like a cowboy. If you are going to a lounge then there should be a dress code of sort banning people from entering wearing cheap t-shirts and jeans.

What was astonishing is the crowd was exactly the same regardless of where you went. Whether it was 4th street or 6th street. It was the same people people dressed the same way and acting the same way. People are really loud and clamoring for attention. In LA for example, people are more discreet and laid back. They might dress well but you will never see guys in trendy LA and Scottsdale spots standing outside a club and yelling at people to come in.

It's just a different vibe, it's not better or worse but coming from the West Coast, it was not what I was expecting.
Stop with the false arguments. We are in Texas - the land of cowboy boots.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:44 AM

2,522 posts, read 3,789,437 times
Only Steers and QU****S come from Texas!...(Full Metal Jacket)....dont mean anything by it, just a classic movie line!

Last edited by inthecut; 09-08-2010 at 01:19 AM..

Old 09-08-2010, 02:48 AM

10,180 posts, read 5,158,564 times
Let me ask you a question before I answer yours. Name me one Metropolitan area of this size (1.8 million people) with a comparable or better nightlife than Austin? (And no excluding Las Vegas)

Now for your question-

Does anyone else think Austin's nightlife is extremely overrated?

No.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:03 AM

16,502 posts, read 22,990,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

You can disagree, but, fortunately, Austin doesn't abide by your "people must dress the way I think they should" code. That's one of the beauties of the city, always has been, and if you don't like it, well, then, I'm sure there's someplace you would like where everyone's really really really concerned about what other people wear and where that defines "night life" (or any part of life) for them.

And, again, 6th Street and environs is not by any means a true example of Austin nightlife - it's mostly for the college students and the tourists who don't care to delve any deeper (sort of like driving through towns and cities on the expressway and thinking what you can see from there is all there is).

Old 09-08-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Let me ask you a question before I answer yours. Name me one Metropolitan area of this size (1.8 million people) with a comparable or better nightlife than Austin? (And no excluding Las Vegas)

Now for your question-

Does anyone else think Austin's nightlife is extremely overrated?

No.
As Sheryl Crow says(said), "If it makes you happy"......Austin has a lot of single, young demog. that is likely to hang out at clubs/bars as well. Not to mention outdoor eateries that have that same "hanging out" vibe. That being said, you have to definitely remove 6th str. from consideration, as it is a tourist trap, and full of t-shirt/souveneir stores, piano sing along bars, and such, and focus on what else is here that is substantial, and has a solid music scene....that narrrows the options considerably....sure, you still have Stubbs, Antones, and some other solid clubs, but also tons of crap, geared towards drunks, college students, and visitors.....I think, if you are talking Quality vs. Quantity, the true issue begins and ends...

Honestly. after just 3 months of living here I got bored of the central area scene...same places...obnoxious college kids everywhere...little that was really solid.....what we lack is a decent localized alternative to 6th, that isnt spread out all over..and far enough away to have its own persona....we are getting there a little bit, but still have work to do in making our central city area more interesting for folks over 25 that have had their "first beer" a long time ago!

Old 09-08-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You can disagree, but, fortunately, Austin doesn't abide by your "people must dress the way I think they should" code. That's one of the beauties of the city, always has been, and if you don't like it, well, then, I'm sure there's someplace you would like where everyone's really really really concerned about what other people wear and where that defines "night life" (or any part of life) for them.

And, again, 6th Street and environs is not by any means a true example of Austin nightlife - it's mostly for the college students and the tourists who don't care to delve any deeper (sort of like driving through towns and cities on the expressway and thinking what you can see from there is all there is).
What IS Austin nightlife? Are you talking a localized, roped off area, or a general vibe? if not localized, what about the 80% of the city that HAS no entertainment options, and solely consists of strip malls, shopping centers, and big-box stores? No vibrant local bars, even.....I think if there were more decent local bars all OVER the city with great live music, it would be far better...not as dense, but at least we would have more options that driving to the central area to see great live music..

Old 09-08-2010, 08:21 AM

323 posts, read 476,339 times
OP- I'm not sure what you are looking for. "Cool people" in expensive clothes lounging in a VIP? "Better" bands? "Nicer" bars?
I think that Austin is just not for you. One weekend in a town doesn't give you the whole story, nor does it give you the right to criticize an entire town or forum of people who aren't like you. There is a reason that you are getting so much resistance from the people on this forum. They don't want what you want. I don't mean that in a disrespectful or mean way.
At the end of the day, people keep coming here because they like it. Something about the informality and music keeps them coming back to visit or live. It seems like we are just not a good fit for you. It's not that big of a deal.
Good luck with your search for a better nightlife, in a different city.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxmor View Post
OP- I'm not sure what you are looking for. "Cool people" in expensive clothes lounging in a VIP? "Better" bands? "Nicer" bars?
I think that Austin is just not for you. One weekend in a town doesn't give you the whole story, nor does it give you the right to criticize an entire town or forum of people who aren't like you. There is a reason that you are getting so much resistance from the people on this forum. They don't want what you want. I don't mean that in a disrespectful or mean way.
At the end of the day, people keep coming here because they like it. Something about the informality and music keeps them coming back to visit or live. It seems like we are just not a good fit for you. It's not that big of a deal.
Good luck with your search for a better nightlife, in a different city.
I don't think its a "like it or get the hell out of here" thing..this SHOULD be discussed....I don't think people should move to a city because of its "bar scene" anyway...unless you are a drunk, or living on a lifelong trustfund and or are under 25, that should not be a deciding factor in moving here..Just a frill....what should be is the job scene, the type of people you run into(demographic), the outdoor scenery and outdoor activites per nature, amateur sports, parks, libraries, museums, beauty of city layout.architecture(you will be driving past everything and looking at it for years), and, if you have a family, things to do for kids, and a kid-friendly atmosphere....the bar/club scene should only be an issue for a visitor, or someone who wants to hang onto their college years and not grow up...
or, as I said, drunks..

Old 09-08-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxmor View Post
I didn't say that. Please re-read my post if you think I did. It should and can be discussed. Again, I didn't say it shouldn't be.
I stated that the nightlife here is not what OP is looking for. To criticize it doesn't change it. It's not a big deal. It just is what it is.
It's cool..actually, it made ME think a lot about this as well...isn't it amazing how little clubs/bars/music matters in comparison to what I mentioned? You get so bored and jaded when you make that your focus.
Just not much going on. All the bars and clubs look the same. If you go often enough, like I once did here, you start seening the same bands at different places. Its just a really small slice of life, even here in Austin.

The prob is when even the city makes it as if this was the DEFINING feature of our city. The club/bar scene is just a diversion. Ours is great, but still a very small slice to bite on, per the whole of what is, or should be, what is going on in any city...again, you can't LIVE at/in the bar scene unless you plan on never growing up, or becoming a lifelong alcoholic anyway(which is essentially the same thing, as well as being a lifelong pothead).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin