U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-23-2011, 08:51 PM

476 posts, read 554,887 times
yes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 07:24 AM

399 posts, read 534,663 times
I think nightlife in general is overrated, so don't ask me.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:30 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,096,261 times
Depends on your points of comparison. Austin can plausibly claim excellent nightlife for any MSA under 2 million population. Only entertainment meccas like New Orleans and Las Vegas would be better. And Austin has better - quantity, quality and variety - of nightlife than much bigger MSAs, like Denver and Phoenix, but has nothing like the nightlife of the U.S. megalopalises - NYC, L.A., even Chicago. Club-scene is lame, but then Austin has always been an anti-disco town and lounges are also mediocre, but for indie/alt country rock, nowhere is better. "The Live Music Capital of the World" moniker is a stretch, and Austin's music scene is not to everyone's taste, but a cursory glance at the music listings in the Chronicle will reveal you can see any of 50 plus bands any night of the week. Try that in Columbus, or Indianapolis or even Memphis, which has decent nightlife for a similarly sized MSA. In Texas, Houston and Dallas have more nightlife options, but they are less geographically concentrated and less distinctive. Austin's nightlife is probably a little overhyped. but that is because the national and international media generally only come here for South by Southwest and ACL, when the nightlife is truly spectacular, and they think it is like that all the time. There is a dearth of after hours venues, and the 2am closing is almost invariably observed, so you can't go out dancing all night, but the bar scene is arguably one of the best in the country. 78701 has more drinking establishments than ANY other zip-code in the US! 6th Street, the Warehouse district, South Congress (and increasingly South Lamar), Barton Springs Road, the close-in East Side and Red River are hopping 7 nights a week, and kinda wild on the weekends. And since the drinking age is 21, and mostly enforced, except for 6th Street proper, students are well in the minority. I would also say that a significant majority of venues are very age diverse, and as a 40 something night owl, there are only a few venues where I feel old. There has been a recent explosion of excellent cocktail bars/restaurants downtown, Peche, East Side Showroom, Annies, Good Knight inter alia, in addition to the new venues in the W, so grown-up drinking is thriving. I can have many complaints about Austin, but nightlife is not really one of them.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:01 PM

1,044 posts, read 995,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I saw those places and sadly many of those places would not qualify as upscale lounge type of places found in other metropolitan cities. Many of those had the same qualities I described in my original post. Even if it had bottle service, it's sort of ruined with the live grunge band and guys wearing wranglers and college shirts.

I think some of you have (a) not visited other cities or spent much time in their entertainment districts or (b) are in denial and being defensive

This is simply BS. Lanai has a DJ spinning electronica, Speakeasy rooftop has a DJ spinning hip hop and techno, etc etc. Qua will not let in women who are not wearing heels etc etc etc.

Your post is simply not based in reality.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:41 PM

172 posts, read 208,022 times
lost more of clubs than you think. tons of roof top clubs and parties

Old 05-22-2012, 09:19 PM

115 posts, read 126,235 times
can someone recommend club(s) in Austin for:
a) salsa dancing
b) c/w 2step/3step dancing
c) swing/jitterbug dancing
I prefer a 30+ crowd that is more interested in music/dancing than drinking/partying.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:00 PM

3,564 posts, read 2,605,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
Honestly. after just 3 months of living here
So are you as you call it "and there will always be suckers born every minute to consume the same!" referring to those sold by the Austin marketing PR department? By the way, are you friends with eepstein?

Old 05-24-2012, 06:34 AM

5,023 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
So are you as you call it "and there will always be suckers born every minute to consume the same!" referring to those sold by the Austin marketing PR department?
Dude, you're replying to an almost two year old post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin