Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:55 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,707,169 times

Advertisements

Well, I am not going to argue statistics because they bore me...I can only say how I feel in my 78749 neighborhood.
I feel safe.
As a previous poster said, "There are pockets of bad neighborhoods everywhere, that's just how it is."

Jobert,
As one who lives East of 35 you are sharing how you feel and what you see in your little slice of heaven. I feel that Ron and I are doing the same for our area...I do feel that the original intent was to state how things are changing E of I-35 and I think that is GREAT! I hope many families will take that under advisement and expand their search, but those of us over in the S/W area (as you refer to Circle C although I am about 3 miles away) feel great about our area as well.

If I were to go to your area tonight I would be cautious because of all the things I have HEARD, not experienced. I wonder if you would feel cautious strolling the streets of Circle C tonight, because of the statistics YOU found and have not experienced.
Just thinking out loud.

I think the mod may be right....is it time to agree to disagree? DO NOT perpetuate the E/W myth any longer. Is that not the point of your post originally!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 05:24 PM

302 posts, read 690,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA View Post
Well, I am not going to argue statistics because they bore me...I can only say how I feel in my 78749 neighborhood.
I feel safe.
As a previous poster said, "There are pockets of bad neighborhoods everywhere, that's just how it is."

I agree on not arguing about the statistics.

Statistics can be used to show whatever someone wants them to show. One can scream to the high heavens "THESE ARE THE NUMBERS!", but if someone then notices that you made a change here, used a specific subset of the data, omitted something there, left out this area there, it's all for naught. Numbers say what you want them to say.

Don't believe me? Ask that guy from England who did the Global Warming numbers. Fox and Co. had a field trip with him, and even though I'm not a skeptic, I don't disagree. Fudge the numbers at your own peril.

Having said that, I'm not going to dig into the #s provided here. All I'll say is that SW Austin is not a crime zone. In ANY sense of the word. It's actually a wonderful area for middle-to-upper middle class families to raise their children in amazingly good schools.

Doesn't mean that East Austin is a crime zone either. But trying to say SW Austin has more crime than pretty much any other area in Austin is like saying Disney World is full of gangbangers. It flies in the face of reality.

Speaking of creating your own reality, I think anyone who's been part of the forums for an extended period of time knows jobert doesn't necessarily like the SW Austin (read: Circle C) area. I don't know why. I do not know where that chip on his shoulder comes from, but he carries it with pride.

Anyway, as someone who lives in SW Austin, I can vouch for it being safe over here. I would not be afraid to walk the streets here any night.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:14 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,707,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERiv View Post

Speaking of creating your own reality, I think anyone who's been part of the forums for an extended period of time knows jobert doesn't necessarily like the SW Austin (read: Circle C) area. I don't know why. I do not know where that chip on his shoulder comes from, but he carries it with pride.

I have gathered that. I am sure there is a story there somewhere!

Old 09-17-2010, 07:44 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,018,706 times
Circle C is a wonderful area to raise kids. I have no problem with it, and would recommend it. I do believe in standing up for oneself, even if pre-emptive actions are needed to restore balance to the dialogue.

Last edited by jobert; 09-17-2010 at 08:25 AM..

Old 09-17-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Anyway, as someone who lives in SW Austin, I can vouch for it being safe over here. I would not be afraid to walk the streets here any night.

I would agree that it's safe in terms of violent crime. There has been 82 assaults in 78749 this year (with a murder on Brodie lane), which I think would be average.

http://www.krimelabb.com/_live/view/_viewbyoffense2.php (broken link)

There were 35 assaults in 78747 with only 3 happening south of Slaughter and east of I-35.

http://www.krimelabb.com/_live/view/_viewbyoffense2.php (broken link)

compared to 8 assaults this year south of Slaughter and west of Mopac:

http://www.krimelabb.com/_live/view/_viewbyoffense2.php

Last edited by jobert; 09-17-2010 at 10:13 AM..

Old 09-17-2010, 09:44 AM

It's too small of a sample, but comparing violent crime south of slaughter on west side of mopac vs. east side of 35, here is a further breakdown of 2010:

Eight assaults in Circle C, compared to three east of 35.
One agg. assault in Circle C, compared to none east of 35.
One indecent exposure in Circle C, compared to none east of 35.
One rape in Circle C, compared to none east of 35.
One auto theft in Circle C, compared to none east of 35.
One robbery in Circle C, compared to none east of 35.

These are all small samples of the total violent crimes committed in 2010. No murder, homicide, rape, etc to speak of in either area.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these categories constitute what is known as "violent crime" aren't they?

I can drop the subject anytime if you guys agree to.

Last edited by jobert; 09-17-2010 at 10:13 AM..

Old 09-17-2010, 10:19 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,771,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
There has been three assaults this year south of Slaughter on the east side of I-35.

There have been eight assaults this year south of Slaughter on the west side of Mopac: krimelabb.com (http://www.krimelabb.com/_live/view/_viewbyoffense2.php - broken link)
OK, I'll bite. I am at a very boring conference in Washington D.C. I hope everyone else at the conference thinks I am now diligently taking notes. I am in this moment with THL on the idiocy of geographic dividing lines. Sarcasm meters on, please folks! But south of Slaughter is beyond the boonies. There is NOTHING there, nothing to eat (except Salt Lick), nothing to see (except the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center) - deep suburban lobotomy zone. And from the statistics above, it appears SOS (the perfect acronym for South of Slaughter) is even too dull for the criminal classes, which are historically easily entertained. In Austin, I have always known that civilization ends at Oltorff. Between Oltorff and William Cannon is a transitional zone and south of William Cannon, no-one has ever had a thought until you get to Katherine Anne Porter in San Marcos where civilization makes a brief return. I too am deeply bored by the east/west of I35 dividing line, so where in Austin south of the river does civilization end? Oltorff, William Cannon, or has the frontier of sentient urbanity been pushed as far south as Slaughter??

Old 09-17-2010, 10:40 AM

I view Slaughter as the suburban dividing line between the 20th and 21st century in terms of development. I am aware of the concert venue that use to be at Southpark Meadows, saw Dave Matthews, Phish and others there. I will agree that the Wildflower Center is nice, but it wears off after one or two visits. So far, the area offers gratuitous retail and open pasture with developments beyond that. What excites me about this entire "SOS" region (east and west) is what's coming down the pipe in terms of development over the next 10 years, and I'm glad we are all here to see it happen. Yes, it's suburbia, but I think it's going to be unique. It's not that boring as it is right now. We did have a 5K at Southpark last weekend with a 1000 people participating, including the governor. We also have the South Congress hipster influence moving in with tattoo parlors, indy shops as well. I personally like the easy access out of town to places like SA, New Braunfels, San Marcos, etc. It was one of the reasons I picked the area.

"SOS", that's catchy in a weird "Soco" kinda way, yet derogatory...
I don't mind it.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:08 AM

Moderator cut: orphaned

Grab a bite/drinks at the Green Mesquite or Chi (the manager at GM told me they will be offering live music soon, just like the Barton Springs location), walk next door to the Cinemark, catch a movie, then have some ice cream at Amy's there next to the entrance of the theatre. No driving necessary, unless you're feeling randy, and want to catch a round of golf at Onion Creek. There's live music music at the Grove on weekends with some local bars (Third Base, Waterloo, Little Woodrows) surrounding the plaza..

Last edited by Bo; 09-19-2010 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: orphaned quote - the quote referred to a post that was deleted

Old 09-17-2010, 12:39 PM

302 posts, read 690,481 times
Quote:
Statistics can be used to show whatever someone wants them to show. One can scream to the high heavens "THESE ARE THE NUMBERS!", but if someone then notices that you made a change here, used a specific subset of the data, omitted something there, left out this area there, it's all for naught. Numbers say what you want them to say.
I may need to re-post that a few hundred times here, I guess. Maybe by time 357 it will finally sink in.

Case in point, the "crime" rates in SW Austin posted here 9/17 10:28 AM.

jobert, you used zip code (78749) to indicate that SW Austin, and Circle C in particular, has what you'd consider a somewhat high crime rate.

While 78749 is a part of what may or may not be considered SW Austin, it doesn't even include the very, very large Circle C neighborhood (78739), which is what many first think about when SW Austin is mentioned, and to which you keep referring to.

That would make your whole point argument somewhat muddied and moot, I think...

To make a comparison on what you're doing, it's like talking about Steiner, and using zip code 78750 instead of 78732 or 78730. Prob not a great example, but it gets the point across. 78750 is NOT Steiner.

Even more interesting, you are making a comparison between 78749 and 78747 (Onion Creek area), which I believe you yourself have compared favorably to Circle C. I have no idea about Onion Creek, but if you're going to compare it to Circle C, shouldn't you actually USE the data from the Circle C area?

Potatoes to oranges, anyone?

Quote:
It's too small of a sample, but comparing violent crime south of slaughter on west side of mopac vs. east side of 35, here is a further breakdown of 2010:

Eight assaults in Circle C, compared to three east of 35.
One agg. assault in Circle C, compared to none east of 35.
One indecent exposure in Circle C, compared to none east of 35.
One rape in Circle C, compared to none east of 35.
One auto theft in Circle C, compared to none east of 35.
One robbery in Circle C, compared to none east of 35.

These are all small samples of the total violent crimes committed in 2010. No murder, homicide, rape, etc to speak of in either area.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these categories constitute what is known as "violent crime" aren't they?
Maybe they are, if you had only changed "Circle C" to "multiple smaller neighborhoods in "northern" SW Austin that don't even include Circle C".

Quote:
I can drop the subject anytime if you guys agree to.
No, I don't think you will. Multiple threads have been started through the months on this one, and in each someone's done whatever he/she can to lead everyone down the rabbit hole. Don't worry, I won't name names.

I'd ask you to stop with the slander on our neighborhood, but I know it will be for naught. IMHO, it's a subversive campaign to try to raise property values in the area where you live and lower them here. By doing as much as possible to cast a bad light on a wonderful neighborhood. And heck, I can understand the motivation ($$$), even if I think it's totally underhanded and reprehensible. To each his own.

I'm just happy I can rest in peace knowing that the statistics thrown in here with regards to SW Austin and Circle C in particular being a crime zone were total bs (pardon the word).

Have a good weekend, y'all!

Last edited by JERiv; 09-17-2010 at 12:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin