U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 10:02 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,412,243 times
Austin went from a government and university town to a gigantic bedroom community. I think it all happened so fast its taken all the growth slowing down this year to realize how much its changed.

Last edited by orbius; 09-14-2010 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 07:02 AM

3,729 posts, read 5,083,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Austin went from a government and university town to a gigantic bedroom community. I think it all happened so fast its taken all the growth slowing down this year to realize how much its changed.
Bedroom community of where? Dallas? San Antonio? I am pretty sure most commuters work within Austin itself. You might be able to call some of the suburban cities like Cedar Park a bedroom community but I think that term doesn't accurately reflect Austin.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:33 AM

955 posts, read 1,073,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Bedroom community of where? Dallas? San Antonio? I am pretty sure most commuters work within Austin itself. You might be able to call some of the suburban cities like Cedar Park a bedroom community but I think that term doesn't accurately reflect Austin.
Austin is yet again at the forefront of a new emerging trend, the "Home Office Bedroom Community"

Old 09-15-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Circle C or Steiner Ranch are obviously bedroom communities for other parts of the city despite being in Austin.
I dont subscribe to the hard and fast rule that it must have a different name tagged to it to qualify as a bedroom community.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:16 PM

955 posts, read 1,073,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Circle C or Steiner Ranch are obviously bedroom communities for other parts of the city despite being in Austin.
I dont subscribe to the hard and fast rule that it must have a different name tagged to it to qualify as a bedroom community.
By that definition almost every city in America is a "bedroom community" if your going to label the entire city based on a couple of neighborhoods.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
By that definition almost every city in America is a "bedroom community" if your going to label the entire city based on a couple of neighborhoods.
Yeah every city has bedroom communities. Very few have as many large swathes of them in Austin and in surrounding cities as Austin does. That was what I was getting at.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:48 PM

352 posts, read 471,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
Yes. I am bored with Austin. But I am also bored with Texas. However, I love my life, because it has nothing to do with Austin. So those oh so witty ones who would quote themselves by claiming that boredom with Austin is boredom with life, no, not so much. Or those who claim that bored people are boring people, I assure you, I'm probably more fun than you can handle. All of that being said, it is possible for some to see Austin as a one-trick pony. Been there, done that, have many t-shirts. Is that so wrong? It shouldn't be. Quite a few people love it here and that's good for them.

Austin is great for some people. People who love to drive, people who want to own a home (which may end up in a subdivision away from all of the purported "weird" action, but not to worry, you can drive there, right?), don't mind big box developments, don't mind being in their 40's and waiting tables, don't mind doing the same thing year in year out (UT Football, SxSW, ACL, the saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame musicians being heralded as creative geniuses when they never make music outside out of the city...or if they do, they eventually leave the state...not my favorite band, but Spoon is a good example...or even Willie Nelson), don't mind oppressive heat, don't mind crappy cultural offerings (Tommy Tune at the Long Center! Yaaaay...or not), and don't mind attacking anyone for not loving Austin as much as you do. But those are the crotchety ones.

Austin still has some nice people; and they're usually welcoming, intelligent, and not so quick to blame all of Austin's problems on Californians/New Yorkers/Immigrants/Insert Your Villain of Choice Here.

Austin's just a town. Nothing more, nothing less. And believe it or not, it's possible to get bored here.
Thanks for getting it, Nomatic & austinnerd.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:25 PM

2,059 posts, read 1,804,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
Yes. I am bored with Austin. But I am also bored with Texas. However, I love my life, because it has nothing to do with Austin. So those oh so witty ones who would quote themselves by claiming that boredom with Austin is boredom with life, no, not so much. Or those who claim that bored people are boring people, I assure you, I'm probably more fun than you can handle. All of that being said, it is possible for some to see Austin as a one-trick pony. Been there, done that, have many t-shirts. Is that so wrong? It shouldn't be. Quite a few people love it here and that's good for them.

Austin is great for some people. People who love to drive, people who want to own a home (which may end up in a subdivision away from all of the purported "weird" action, but not to worry, you can drive there, right?), don't mind big box developments, don't mind being in their 40's and waiting tables, don't mind doing the same thing year in year out (UT Football, SxSW, ACL, the saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame musicians being heralded as creative geniuses when they never make music outside out of the city...or if they do, they eventually leave the state...not my favorite band, but Spoon is a good example...or even Willie Nelson), don't mind oppressive heat, don't mind crappy cultural offerings (Tommy Tune at the Long Center! Yaaaay...or not), and don't mind attacking anyone for not loving Austin as much as you do. But those are the crotchety ones.

Austin still has some nice people; and they're usually welcoming, intelligent, and not so quick to blame all of Austin's problems on Californians/New Yorkers/Immigrants/Insert Your Villain of Choice Here.

Austin's just a town. Nothing more, nothing less. And believe it or not, it's possible to get bored here.
The point is that if someone is bored then............... just leave. Why do people have to be annoying by smearing it on other people's faces that Austin is "boring?" Other's don't see it that way.... some people still like getting laid here.... plenty to choose from! Suddenly that's boring??

Old 09-15-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Just sitting here eating popcorn, watching this thread morph into the predictable "Austin-used-to-be-this-way" wars. And why.

It's amusing to hear someone say the last decent building built in downtown was the Frost Bank...My suspicion is that if the condo buildings were actually office buildings (but looked the same) these same people might even like them. But because they are homes for affluent people, they are representative of the downfall of Austin's humanity. They are eyesores and stand out like a sore thumb.

Can anyone say with absolute sincerity that you would rather have empty, blighted parking lots downtown than condos and other development? Now if you want to have a conversation about more diversity in development - i.e. maybe a few not-so uber luxury condos and apartments, a new Art museum, public library (which is supposed to be coming), a few hotels, more restaurants, shopping etc...I'm all ears. Otherwise it just sounds bitter.
bitter annoying childish silly etc. etc. etc.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
As for Austin's downtown growth, it's already slowed down. Other than the new federal courthouse downtown, we don't see too many cranes nowadays! They are concentrating on smaller projects like the Pfluger pedestrian bridge extension and the Brazos and E. 7th street makeovers. Very nice!
There certainly are more proposals for downtown Austin, some are just pending. There's the Seaholm and Greenwater Treatment Plan, there's the T. Stacey Towers on 5th and Congress, the Waller Creek redevelopment and the F1 tracks. Just give it another 5 years or so you'll see another building boom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin