U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 12:38 PM

349 posts, read 604,472 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I need assistance on trying to find an affordable moving company that actually goes to your home, look over the items that need to be moved and gives you an estimate. I'm really trying to avoid the moving companies that charge by the hour (just because a lot of the times they 'milk' the clock). I got like 2 items that need to be moved, a dresser and a full sized bed. I really would like a recommendation from someone who either has used a good affordable moving company, or who owns one. Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 12:54 PM

727 posts, read 980,473 times
It doesn't sound very likely. Your best bet is probably to rent a pickup truck from UHaul and buy a couple strong friends dinner or homeless people booze.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:58 PM

1,886 posts, read 3,711,275 times
try emove.com

Old 09-07-2010, 02:18 PM

6,840 posts, read 10,710,079 times
Or try the local startup company that is trying to be the priceline of various movers / shippers! Cheap Movers | Interstate Movers & Household Moving Companies

Old 09-07-2010, 02:19 PM

2,285 posts, read 2,714,177 times
Most companies that charge by the hour have minimum times, so they probably would not work for just a few items. When we moved into our current place (2 weeks ago), we had driven a rental truck ourselves - took 4 days of driving (!). We had local companies load and unload for us. Locally we used Square Cow Moovers. Believe me, they did not milk it for time. The two of them worked so hard, I was almost worried for them. They took one, ten minute break. But we had a whole house full of furniture and boxes. In talking to the guys who loaded us in CA, they were not doing well. They often have moves booked that are cancelled at the last minute because the mortgage falls out of escrow. The weekend after our move, they had 5 moves, all of which were cancelled. In that situation, perhaps the company will relax their rules about small moves. But that is probably not the situation here in Austin. So my experience with Square Cow was completely positive. (I also had them estimate the cost on a full service move, but we decided to go the truck rental route.)

Two days after that move, my sister and I moved my mom by renting one of those pick ups from Home Depot. She did not, however, have much to move, and no really big pieces, so we did all the moving ourselves. (It was a family thing, and there were actually 5 of us.) If you only have a few pieces, that would seem the best way to go, but you need some willing family or friends. There are people who advertise on Craigs list to do this, but that seems to me is a more uncertain way to go, with people you don't know.

Good Luck!

Old 09-07-2010, 03:33 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,347,308 times
$100 will get you NADA!!!!!!

Best thing to do is rent a Uhaul, then head out the the Home Depot @ 1200 Barbara Jordan Blvd
Austin, TX 78723 and scoop up a couple of the guys that hang out in the parking lot looking for work to do.

What ya do is yell out $5 dollar out from your window and keep the rig moving (don't stop the truck) slowly and see whom chases it.

If no bites, turn back around and raise your wage up a little and yell it out again. They'll bite sooner or later.

If nothing, hope you have some nice friends willing to work for food / beer.

Good luck

Old 10-26-2010, 11:27 AM

113 posts, read 147,294 times
Texas state regulations, the cost of insurance, DOT, workmens comp, unemployment insurance taxes all prohibit a mover from coming out for less than $ 200. You might be able to get a landscaper to come out for $ 75 - then just tell them you want them to move furniture instead. That would get you around state consumer regulations that pretty much require a two hour minimum for DOT moving companies. If you rent a truck, you could check www.hireahelper.com/movers and MOVING LABOR .COM SAVE UP TO 50% CALL 1-866-508-5018, or even craigslist.org - that would help you avoid a lot of government regulations. If you buy something at Home Depot, you can rent their truck for 75 minutes for $ 21.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:49 PM

14,410 posts, read 20,729,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajae90 View Post
Hey everyone. I need assistance on trying to find an affordable moving company that actually goes to your home, look over the items that need to be moved and gives you an estimate. I'm really trying to avoid the moving companies that charge by the hour (just because a lot of the times they 'milk' the clock). I got like 2 items that need to be moved, a dresser and a full sized bed. I really would like a recommendation from someone who either has used a good affordable moving company, or who owns one. Thank you in advance
Seriously, ask yourself, could you make a viable living doing this for $100. You have to provide the truck, gas, maintenance and hire at least one other person to help. If they only work for you for a couple of hours then what do they do with the rest of the day? What are the odds of them finding another customer for that day to take up the rest of their time?

Your best bet will be to rent a truck and to hire a couple of day laborers to assist you. I bet it still costs you more then $100.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:48 PM

3,151 posts, read 3,405,854 times
If you yell 5 dalla they might think you're selling subway sandwiches or you're one cheap hooker.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:13 PM

2,224 posts, read 5,747,589 times
$100 will get you two day laborers for half a day at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin