Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:31 AM

14 posts, read 38,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbnj07 View Post
Oh, you have to explain this one.

You're not really saying that Round Rock is as isolated as Lago Vista, are you? I can be downtown in 20-25 minutes and I'm no more than 10 minutes from anything I need....does the same hold true for someone in Lago Vista?

If you like it in Lago Vista, great, but don't mislead the OP into thinking it's right around the corner.
Fair enough it's not "quite" as far as Lago (40 min. vs. 25 min. to downtown), but for practical purposes it's pretty much the same thing -- both are a long enough drive to make you think twice. At least with Lago it's beautiful and I can walk down to the lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 10:58 AM

99 posts, read 180,943 times
I don’t quite get why people are asking for advise about property here in this area? Especially if it is apparent that these people make really poor financial decisions where they were. So, why would they be better off here? Will they make better decisions financially while they are here? Do we want folks here who will cost us more money in the long run? Or do you prefer to have neighbors who make rational, reasonable economic decisions?

No bashing please. This thought just crossed my mind about these posts in general.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:17 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzle of Bees View Post
I don’t quite get why people are asking for advise about property here in this area? Especially if it is apparent that these people make really poor financial decisions where they were. So, why would they be better off here? Will they make better decisions financially while they are here? Do we want folks here who will cost us more money in the long run? Or do you prefer to have neighbors who make rational, reasonable economic decisions?

No bashing please. This thought just crossed my mind about these posts in general.
Huh?

The OP sold their home in SoCal. How do you know they made a poor financial decision where they lived before?

How can you assert that the others who ask for advise here have made poor financial decisions?

Old 09-15-2010, 11:31 AM

310 posts, read 575,682 times
Quote:
No bashing please.
Hi Mr. Pott. Meet Mr. Kettle.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:30 AM

3 posts, read 8,828 times
have

Old 10-20-2010, 08:48 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,925 times
LV would be a great place for the two of you. You will be paying Travis County taxes and property taxes are higher in Travis.

Also there is a HOA fee that is paid, but worth it due to the ammenities you get to have access to.
I think it is a great place to live if you do not have to travel to get to work. 1431 has improved, but still a stinker to drive daily to go to work. Lucky for the both of you working @ home.

Oh yea... buy a some fishing rods & reels, boat and a pair of jetskis and you will have a marry life out there!!

Old 10-20-2010, 09:34 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times
Its also important to mention ( Because a lot of Californians simply don't know this) that if you've got your heart set on spending 300k-400k on a house in Austin that the property taxes are high and a 300k house will cost you $6,000-$8,000 per year depending on the area a year in property taxes and a 400k house will cost you a good $10,000 or so. Unlike CA that tax is adjusted upward as the value climbs ( No prop 13 here). So if this is to be a retirement home... you might want to think about what those taxes implicate.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:15 PM

20 posts, read 45,383 times
Default did ya'll move to LV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverDuck View Post
My wife and I are coming to Austin next week for a contemplated move. We have seen a few homes in Lago Vista that appear nice, but why are they so much cheaper that West Austin?

Is it not a nice area around the lake?

We are a cash buyers 300-400k (sold our home in SoCal) and both work from home so the commute for us is not an issue. Kids are both gone so schools are not an issue for us either.

Any help info. would be appreciated.

Just curious if ya'll ended up moving to LV? We are headed there in a few months and wanted to hear the deets.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:34 PM

110 posts, read 241,710 times
There's no more "Lago", just a "Vista".

Old 09-25-2014, 03:51 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwynne2000 View Post
There's no more "Lago", just a "Vista".
Which answers the question from the OP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin