Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 07:04 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,018,756 times

Advertisements

I've only seen it once(uno) in Austin...and that was at a wedding party next to the choochoo in Zilker..and it was beyond cool to see that in public....the clothing regalia, trumpets, the whole damn fun of it all....
and never saw it ever again, in 4 years!.....crap, isn't there ANYPLACE that does it on a regular basis, or do you have to hope you have to bump into it like I did that day in Zilker?

Of course, I can always go to Guadalajara, but you know what I mean!

YouTube - Mariachi Music in Guadalajara

Austin definitely needs more mariachi strollers..nothing more romantic on a date than a bunch of 'em playing just for you..almost makes you want to pull out that engagement ring right there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 07:09 PM

I would die of happiness if a group played like that for me and my gal! what an honor to be serenaded so beautifully like that!

Actually, just found out a way to propose to her next year..don't worry, she has no idea who "inthecut" is....won't find out on CD! Fly her out to Guad, get some bargain dental work, and serenade/propose to her at the same time..I'm likin' it!

Old 09-10-2010, 07:17 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,779,150 times
El Gallo!
Welcome to El Gallo (http://elgallorestaurant.com/elgallo.html - broken link)
Call to find out when the mariachi band plays. It may be on Friday nights, but you should check to make sure. I think you'd like El Gallo. As someone here once said, it is very "real". Let them know it's your birthday, and they'll sing happy birthday in Spanish and English.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:37 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,032,991 times
Travis High has a mariachi band! And I think there are others in AISD. If you live in the right neighborhoods, you can see them show up on your neighbors lawn to serenade folks on anniversaries! way cool!

Old 09-10-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
El Gallo!
Welcome to El Gallo (http://elgallorestaurant.com/elgallo.html - broken link)
Call to find out when the mariachi band plays. It may be on Friday nights, but you should check to make sure. I think you'd like El Gallo. As someone here once said, it is very "real". Let them know it's your birthday, and they'll sing happy birthday in Spanish and English.
I'm there! Thanks!

BTW, here is a clip of a bar in mexico city, where they explain the whole concept of mariachi music..I'm so damn sheltered..we have this incredible opportunity in Austin to drive to Mexico City, and all these other great places....and prob far safer than our own state! heck, if you can swing DFW and Houston, how hard would it be to handle DF Mexico?......ahh, bullfights, mexican mask "pro" wrestling, the food, whatever that noise is when they go "EEEEEEEEYIIIIIEEE" in ranchero songs, I'm there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTk1q...eature=related

Old 09-10-2010, 08:31 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,217,229 times
Azul Tequila has it sometimes.

There are several other places - trying to remember which, because I don't much care for it, so we don't go to them on evenings when it's likely to be there, or if we show up and it's that night, we go somewhere else.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Azul Tequila has it sometimes.

There are several other places - trying to remember which, because I don't much care for it, so we don't go to them on evenings when it's likely to be there, or if we show up and it's that night, we go somewhere else.
It IS certainly a "in your face" thing....so I can see not wanting it if you need a quiet night out..then again, if you need a quiet night out, prob best to stay home and close the shades....mariachi is totally social, and not everyone feels up to it when they come strolling in....either you are in the mood for mariachi or you are not..no in between!

Old 09-11-2010, 08:47 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,217,229 times
This is true - you're either in the mood for it or not, but also, sometimes, different kinds of music appeal to different people and not to others, fancy that! If I want to actually have conversation with the folks at my table and enjoy the music, not so much. This applies whether it's mariachi music or rock (which I have enjoyed while out more than my share, having dated a drummer in my salad days - second row seats at Cream, Hendrix, Mothers, B.B. King, and a host of others over the years) or any other "in your face" music.

But a quiet night out doesn't have to mean staying at home, you realize? I'm assuming that was just for hyperbole's sake?

Mariachis de Jalisco has mariachi music on occasion. La Feria has Mariachi Relampago on Thursday evenings, according to their website.

Mariachi Estrella performs at La Feria, Casa Garcia, Jalisco's, Casa Maria, according to their website.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:14 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,699,033 times
Covington Middle School has a Mariachi Band...just an fyi. Not very helpful to the OP I guess.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This is true - you're either in the mood for it or not, but also, sometimes, different kinds of music appeal to different people and not to others, fancy that! If I want to actually have conversation with the folks at my table and enjoy the music, not so much. This applies whether it's mariachi music or rock (which I have enjoyed while out more than my share, having dated a drummer in my salad days - second row seats at Cream, Hendrix, Mothers, B.B. King, and a host of others over the years) or any other "in your face" music.

But a quiet night out doesn't have to mean staying at home, you realize? I'm assuming that was just for hyperbole's sake?

Mariachis de Jalisco has mariachi music on occasion. La Feria has Mariachi Relampago on Thursday evenings, according to their website.

Mariachi Estrella performs at La Feria, Casa Garcia, Jalisco's, Casa Maria, according to their website.
LOL! I think we have just invented a new genre.."In your face" music...or, as someone I once knew would call it, "In yo faassssseee" music....What is not IYF music? Jazz, Classical, new age, easy listening....What IS? Rock, Blues, Bluegrass, mariachi, Salsa, Merengue, Polka, Funk, and Disco..The IYF is about 300 times more fun than the non IYF music.. I would almost say that, if you can't dance to it, it ain't music....I think that safely can be considered the dividing line...if you can dance or not to it....the rest is background music while occupied with something else...
though one CAN be mentally engaged with jazz and classical....which is why jazz musicians were the first to get stoned, way back in the 30's...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin