Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 02:13 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,018,706 times

Advertisements

There are 3 "inflatable places" within a couple of miles from me - Jumpy Gym, Going Bananas, and another one off of S.Congress/Slaughter. There is also one at Westgate/Cannon further out west. I guess the southside is more kid friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 02:46 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
What is an inflatable place? Is that one of those things people rent for kids parties where they jump around inside a "room?"

Would parents say something like "Honey, that town has everything we need for our family: safety, affordable housing, good schools, clean air and water but they don't have any inflatable places. I guess we'll scratch that city off our list."
I know. However do parents manage to raise children without one.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:16 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnsl View Post
Like what? We would love to hear about the ridiculous amount of things to do with kids!

Re: location, we are looking at the west/southwest/Bee Cave area.
Wonderful area for a family! I don't intend to have children, but if I did, that's exactly where I'd look. Very pretty scenery, too. I think you'll be very happy there. Eanes ISD is one of the nation's best, too.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:22 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,018,706 times
Another thing about the zoo situation - the SA zoo and Seaworld are about 60-90 minutes from my house. If they were 3 miles away, would I go more than once a year? Probably not. If they were 3 miles from my house, would it still cost than $150 to take our family? Probably. I don't see the big deal. I lived 45 minutes away from Cowboy Stadium, I'm a huge fan - I only went maybe once a year. Is that a legitimate reason to live in Dallas? Not really. I like the people I'm surrounded by in Austin, that's a legitimate reason to live somewhere.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:26 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Dang, I raised two kids to adulthood in Austin with NO inflatable places! How on earth did I manage it?

As for zoos, there's the San Antonio Zoo and the zoo in Waco (a really nice one) for those every year or two trips to the zoo. Somehow, though, even living in Barton Hills just minutes from downtown Austin, the kids never lacked for something to do (quite the contrary, they were busy most of the time, I had to make sure they had some "down time" to just hang around and think about things).

Surprisingly enough, none of it included inflatable places. What WERE we thinking? (Can't remember any inflatable places when I was growing up, either, come to think of it, even in Dallas!)

Old 09-13-2010, 04:55 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Dang, I raised two kids to adulthood in Austin with NO inflatable places! How on earth did I manage it?
LOL! My parents wouldn't even allow me in an "inflatable place" when I was a kid--too dangerous, with all of the other kids bouncing around.

I would hope that Austin's claim to family-friendly fame isn't that it has a lot of inflatable places. That would be truly depressing. There's a lot of fun stuff for kiddos, from yoga for children, pottery-making classes for children, Suzuki music schools, and the Children's museum isn't too shabby. Lots of kid-oriented restaurants and cafes, and Zilker Park (the train) is masses of fun.

I thought we had a tiny petting zoo somewhere south of the city ... we don't??

Old 09-13-2010, 07:42 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Quote:
I think this is a very misleading statement. Most bonds that are issued and put up for voter approval are related to schools. Any school district with growing enrollment will have to fund new construction and that is done through bonds.

Voters DO defeat bonds - as Round Rock voters did just a few years ago for a very poorly built $300M bond package.

As for Austin itself - I don't think bonds/taxes are any more common than any other Texas city with growing needs.

The first light rail project in Austin, over ten years ago, was soundly defeated because of the poor economics of the proposal.

Overall, tax rates (sales, property) in Austin are comparable to those in other Texas cities.
Personally, and that's all I can do- give my opinion- there is a lot of waste in education spending in AISD. Too many administrators, too many special programs, too much money going to things that aren't directly relating to education. Ever increasing budgets, even in periods of growth, is not invevitable, in fact it is irresponsible.

Round Rock voters DID reject bonds, and so they should. Austin voters are not quite so discenrning. Austin SHOULD have voted down light rail, but no, the ever expanding city council repackaged and slithered it right down our throats...and for what? 80 riders a day?

In a recession, or actually a DEPRESSION, taxes should be going down. That's what I meant in my comment to the OP- Austin is not an economically conservative town. I'm just trying to avoid her frustration if this is an important issue for her.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:27 PM

17 posts, read 59,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnsl View Post
I didnt say anything about worrying about Austin being too liberal to raise kids in general... I said we were worried about it being too liberal for US. Every family has their own beliefs and values...at least I think that's the way it's supposed to work. Part of our value system is to respect people of all walks, races, politics, etc. (By the way, we are a minority family). But part of our value system is also to raise our kids according to certain core beliefs we have. And we want them around teachers, students, and families that share some of the more important core beliefs. We are Christian, so that is important to us. We are patriotic about our country, President, troops, etc...so that is important to us. At the right time, we want our kids to understand about all kinds of social lifestyles, etc...but ideally not in elementary schools, so that is important to us.
Hello,

This is my first post here. Our family has a lot in common with yours so I thought I'd post. My hubby and I both went to UT and loved it. We both said that we'd come back to Austin to raise a family after we were done with our job training (that had to be done in other cities). We are also a minority (biracial--Black/Asian) Christ-following family. Honestly, we weren't thinking at all about raising children here--we wanted to come back because we had a great time in Austin.

We moved back here 11 years ago when our first child was 2 months old. We nearly forgot that UT was here for the first 5 years. We got busy with raising kids, finding a church home, looking into school options, making new friends and doing a lot of other stuff that new families and new parents do everywhere else. So I can definitely say that while UT and the college thing is big in Austin, you can avoid it when you are in suburbia. Easily.

We see a lot of different types of people here--people from other countries, people from different races, and a handful of other biracial families. I consider myself politically moderate with some left leaning ideas, but definitely with Christian/Biblical core values, which we try to instill in our kids. Most of our friends are from our church, and they are all over the spectrum, most being a lot like me (because let's face it--most people make friends with people that they have stuff in common with) to being way more left to being way more right. It is no big deal. I do think there are just all sorts in Austin and it is not hard to find your niche if you put in a little bit of effort. And if you are planning on living in Westlake or SW Austin, it will be a cinch.

On the racial side, I have loved being a minority here in Austin and I love even more being a biracial family here. I have gotten really spoiled--strangers in the stores or on the streets tell me that my kids are beautiful all the time. We do not get that when we go to Dallas or Houston or even San Antonio. While I think that Texans are friendly in general, I do feel that Austinites are more friendly than even Texas friendly. I feel that race is just not a big deal here. As a minority, you might have had the experience where you feel very "not white". My hubby and I used to live in a city (not in TX) where everywhere we went, people stared at us as if we had wings and a tail. I don't feel that way at all in Austin. We're just us and it's all cool.

Kid-friendly activities? We love the kite festival at Zilker, and we have gone to some of those summer Shakespeare in the park things, plus my husband has taken the kids to a symphony in the park thing, also in the summer. We have gone to a bunch of those folk art festival things, Pecan Street festival and a few other small ones around town. There is a Pow-Wow in South Austin every year and we went one year and it was really fun. We went to a Chinese New Year thing that they had up in North Austin--dragon dance, Asian fashion show, and of course lots of great Asian food. At Christmas time, we've enjoyed the Armadillo Christmas Bazaar and the Trail of Lights. Those are the "special" events that we have participated in, and if you buy one of those Austin Events calendars, you will see that there are a ton of things just about every week and weekend. Reggae music festival, family-friendly hip hop weekend, etc.

That may sound kind of lame compared to aquariums and theme parks and the like, but that is what our family does and our kids generally have a great time. Like one poster said, there are a lot of things to do in Austin, but they are more on the scale of simple family type activities and more on the outdoors side.

Most weekends though, we are consumed with birthday parties, dance lessons and gym/swim meets and soccer games. Not unlike most suburban families anywhere else.

I hope that helped some. Best wishes whatever you decide.

ETA: we homeschool but my kids have friends in Eanes, AISD and private schools and a few homeschool friends. Again, no big deal.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:11 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
What is an inflatable place? Is that one of those things people rent for kids parties where they jump around inside a "room?"

Would parents say something like "Honey, that town has everything we need for our family: safety, affordable housing, good schools, clean air and water but they don't have any inflatable places. I guess we'll scratch that city off our list."

Lol...'inflatable places.'

Old 09-14-2010, 03:13 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Personally, and that's all I can do- give my opinion- there is a lot of waste in education spending in AISD. Too many administrators, too many special programs, too much money going to things that aren't directly relating to education. Ever increasing budgets, even in periods of growth, is not invevitable, in fact it is irresponsible.

Interestingly, as I was getting ready to move, a good friend of mine (who now teaches in the area there) was bent out of shape because AISD was considering eliminating homework. The idea being that kids who did homework would be at an unfair advantage.
Did they ever wind up eliminating homework?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin