Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 01:39 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,069,191 times

Advertisements

I tried to find a "contact us" at Dell.com to tell them what i thought of their interest in China but alas i cant find any way to contact the company .. any one have an email site to Dell
If American jobs are to survive outsourcing like this has to be addressed,and even though there is probably nothing i can do about Dell's move they can at least get an earful from me and the assurance that they've lost a long time customer.
Yeah, i know that all the companies are now in China but i can at least make them think they're losing a customer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 01:40 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,811,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I tried to find a "contact us" at Dell.com to tell them what i thought of their interest in China but alas i cant find any way to contact the company .. any one have an email site to Dell
Call the sales line, ask to be transferred to whomever can help you with an order for 1000 computers, then tell that person what you think about their investment in China.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:49 PM

3,047 posts, read 3,226,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
Exactly,

But if enough people considered something (whatever that something is) when making purchasing decisions, that something would be something the company would strive to provide (or at least give some illusion of providing).

The consumers choose what the set of somethings are.
Well I think the counter to tryanh's statement and perhaps what your alluding to is if the consumer rewarded companies whose products maximized US resources and also actively punished those who did not, then companies would have an incentive to do so. Of course by "punish/reward" I mean to do business with that company. I think both sides have to be there though and it has to be there in enough numbers for it to make a difference. Barring that though, I don't think, from a practical standpoint, that companies today have much motivation to take the chauvinistic high road if it means a hit to the bottom line.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:22 PM

308 posts, read 1,465,017 times
comparing with 1.4 billion people market, what's your bet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Yeah, i know that all the companies are now in China but i can at least make them think they're losing a customer

Old 09-21-2010, 04:29 PM

look at Apple. Their products are always priced the highest, but it didn't and will not prevent them from outsourcing a lot of work to asian countries. Do you know how many committed suicide in the world's lowest paid but highest work load world manufacturer, Foxconn's Shenzhen factory, in the past 12 months? Do you know how much they earn for each iphone? And do you know how many percentage of the consumer electronics contracts went to them because of their unbeatable low price resulted from shameless and bloody exploitation of their chinese workers? Apple is among them.

google: Foxconn Workers Get 30% Raise Following Spate Of Suicides
"The basic salary at Foxconn's China plants is currently about 900 yuan ($130) per month"
$130 a month in Shenzhen is absolutely nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Well I think the counter to tryanh's statement and perhaps what your alluding to is if the consumer rewarded companies whose products maximized US resources and also actively punished those who did not, then companies would have an incentive to do so. Of course by "punish/reward" I mean to do business with that company. I think both sides have to be there though and it has to be there in enough numbers for it to make a difference. Barring that though, I don't think, from a practical standpoint, that companies today have much motivation to take the chauvinistic high road if it means a hit to the bottom line.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:34 PM

just found I couldn't google maps "Michale Dell's Home" directly now, but "Bill Gate's Home" is still available
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Call the sales line, ask to be transferred to whomever can help you with an order for 1000 computers, then tell that person what you think about their investment in China.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:02 PM

My point is, don't blame Dell now. Dell has been doing great job to support local economy and communities, and they haven't done anything very harmful, comparing with Apple. At this most difficult time, people in Austin should support them.

Below is a google translated searching result, very hard to understand, but you can figure it out. some background: it is about iphone4. Apple's net profit on each iphone 4 is about 60%, production cost is about 7%, and Foxconn's profit is about 2%:

hundreds of employees, build technology, “hexane” intoxication, as of February 26 the data show that in the “hexane” poisoning incident, directly or indirectly involved 2,742 employees, a total of 134 people were impact.

Who is the " hexane "incident the culprit ? Staff to spearhead a joint construction , and a separation of the joint construction of the middle finger points to confused Apple's hegemony .

The construction of the middle joint , said in August 2009 , build began at Apple's suggestion to replace ethanol in this solvent to wipe the phone screen employees , such chemical agents in China and Taiwan are non- strictly control chemicals . Build a joint staff , said , n-hexane is more economic than ethanol . Apple was reportedly proposed on the grounds that other factories are also available, you can see .

In the joint construction of internal staff 's view, " hexane " incident, the security risks associated building and not been eliminated. The employee said the incident, Apple once again given a new proposal for the use of acetone and other solvents .

An Apple parts suppliers , said increased yield in a short time , Apple will try other suggestions foundry in China has been using different chemicals such as acetone and other inflammable and explosive high-risk products, although compliance with the legal regulations of the PRC Use, but under the pressure of the order of urgency , often can not make assessments in advance of industrial safety and protective measures.

The said joint construction of " hexane "event is to reach ship Apple extreme standards , and to the cost of employee health and director of dismissal ending , but Apple is quoted in more orders , joint construction of Taiwan's Mother Company Wintek stock price has soared in recent .

Old 09-21-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayanh View Post
look at Apple. Their products are always priced the highest, but it didn't and will not prevent them from outsourcing a lot of work to asian countries. Do you know how many committed suicide in the world's lowest paid but highest work load world manufacturer, Foxconn's Shenzhen factory, in the past 12 months? Do you know how much they earn for each iphone? And do you know how many percentage of the consumer electronics contracts went to them because of their unbeatable low price resulted from shameless and bloody exploitation of their chinese workers? Apple is among them.

google: Foxconn Workers Get 30% Raise Following Spate Of Suicides
"The basic salary at Foxconn's China plants is currently about 900 yuan ($130) per month"
$130 a month in Shenzhen is absolutely nothing.
First, yes, I am fully aware of where and who makes Apple's components (likely better than most here). I still remember when they closed down their fancy Fremont factory, their last in Silicon Valley in the early 90's.

Second, I specifically emphasized that the reward/punishment had to both exist, right now there is no punishment, only reward, and that reward obviously isn't based purely on price. That price premium that people pay isn't due to the location of manufacture, rather it's for the perceived value that Apple brings to the table. And while we're talking about that, look precisely at what this "additional value is".

- Better support, you can take your busted Mac to any Apple store and you will be helped. It may need to get shipped out, but in both cases you are helping a US worker, not someone in India.
- Better presales help, again through their Apple store, again helping a US employee.
- Better software, while Apple may have their stuff manufactured overseas, their software is still written here in the US.
- Better design, while not all of their design is here in the states, a large chunk of it is.

So in fact one is paying a premium for the US "parts" of an Apple product, it's just that those parts aren't necessarily made of plastic or metal or silicon. What Apple has shown (and somewhat bringing this back around to Dell) is that there is more to a computer than the physical hardware.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayanh View Post
My point is, don't blame Dell now. Dell has been doing great job to support local economy and communities, and they haven't done anything very harmful, comparing with Apple. At this most difficult time, people in Austin should support them.
Huh, wow, you need to do some serious research into the computer industry in general. Apple is hot right now so they make an easy target, but I can guarantee that any sin you levy upon Apple with regards to manufacturing you can just as easily (or in some cases more so since Dell ships far more units) levy upon Dell (or HP for that matter). Since day 1 when "Dell" was just Michael shipping units out of his dorm room and he called his company PC's Limited, he's sourced components and merely put them together here (and even then that was only desktops, laptops have been purely outsourced for quite a while). Where do you think those components are made? What types of chemicals do you think those component manufacturers use? What type of labor do you think they use.

As for supporting local economy and communities, I guess you haven't been to Cupertino. Hey, where'd all those Dell manufacturing jobs in Austin/RR go (even before this latest round, and I emphasize, _latest_ round, this has been going on for years).

Old 09-21-2010, 05:42 PM

well, I am not sure if Dell has ever proposed one toxicant over another to their OEMs but apparently Apple is enthusiastically involved.

in the sense of outsourcing, they are just two apples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Huh, wow, you need to do some serious research into the computer industry in general. Apple is hot right now so they make an easy target, but I can guarantee that any sin you levy upon Apple with regards to manufacturing you can just as easily (or in some cases more so since Dell ships far more units) levy upon Dell (or HP for that matter). Since day 1 when "Dell" was just Michael shipping units out of his dorm room and he called his company PC's Limited, he's sourced components and merely put them together here (and even then that was only desktops, laptops have been purely outsourced for quite a while). Where do you think those components are made? What types of chemicals do you think those component manufacturers use? What type of labor do you think they use.

As for supporting local economy and communities, I guess you haven't been to Cupertino. Hey, where'd all those Dell manufacturing jobs in Austin/RR go (even before this latest round, and I emphasize, _latest_ round, this has been going on for years).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin