U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-10-2011, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 774 times
We have a 5 bedroom home with the MB upstairs--a huge one with a fireplace and a spa like bathroom. There are 3 additional bedrooms upstairs, and a playroom upstairs. AND the laundry room is upstairs. We have LOVED this arrangement for a number of reasons: we are close to our children, yet the master is on its own as far as walls being separated, etc. Laundry is right there, we have privacy when visitors come over. No one just walking into our bedrooms! And, we think it is more secure being on the second floor. We have a full bedroom and a full bathroom downstairs that would work great for guests or mother-in-law arrangements. However, realtors here seem to view a master bedroom as an immediate negative and we are having issues selling because of this. It is not right to tell buyers (steer) what is better for them--let them decide!!! Not fair to us or our beautiful house at all!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 12:04 PM

664 posts, read 648,473 times
We bought our house in Plano with the master up because we had young children and didn't want to shlep in the middle of the night up and down stairs. When we moved to Austin the master down was a priority for me since our kids are teenagers now. We saw many, many houses with the master suite up. Finally we bought with the master down.

It turns out we really didn't like it at all. For one thing, our room was off the family room/kitchen. When we had guests or the kids got up earlier than we did we heard all of the kitchen noise and TV. Secondly, we like to sleep with the windows open in nice weather and felt unsafe about it with the master down. Thirdly, the house was huge with the staircase facing away from the living area and it was so hard to call the kids down when we needed them since they were always in the media room. We finally got an intercom, but I felt like our family was atomizing and not the nice little group we always were.

We just bought a house here in Albuquerque where most masters seem to be upstairs to capitalize on the views. I'm so, so happy to be up again! Just my 2 cents

Old 10-10-2011, 02:02 PM

202 posts, read 265,968 times
Having a MB downstairs is great for me. In California (where I grew up) you did not see this very much at all. I'm surely a convert after living in my 2 story home.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:33 PM

16,168 posts, read 21,815,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamieNJIm View Post
We have a 5 bedroom home with the MB upstairs--a huge one with a fireplace and a spa like bathroom. There are 3 additional bedrooms upstairs, and a playroom upstairs. AND the laundry room is upstairs. We have LOVED this arrangement for a number of reasons: we are close to our children, yet the master is on its own as far as walls being separated, etc. Laundry is right there, we have privacy when visitors come over. No one just walking into our bedrooms! And, we think it is more secure being on the second floor. We have a full bedroom and a full bathroom downstairs that would work great for guests or mother-in-law arrangements. However, realtors here seem to view a master bedroom as an immediate negative and we are having issues selling because of this. It is not right to tell buyers (steer) what is better for them--let them decide!!! Not fair to us or our beautiful house at all!!!
I'm wondering where you're getting the idea that the agents are "steering" their buyers towards master up OR down? (That's not what steering means, by the way, from a legal perspective. It has more to do with protected classes.)

As an agent, I ask my clients what they want, not what I want (after all, I'm their agent, not vice versa), and then I go out and look for it for them. They tell me that they prefer master up or down (or don't care), not vice versa.

If you're thinking that it's the agents doing it because of feedback, yes, the agent conveys the feedback, but the feedback they are conveying is what their clients told them about the house, usually.

If there is a strong preference in an area for a particular amenity, like master down, then if a client asks about resale value as far as that's concerned, the agent will give them the information about what buyers are, at that moment in time, preferring, but that's about it.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:38 PM

754 posts, read 636,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
Call me crazy, but I feel safer sleeping at night with the master bedroom upstairs. Could be because I'm just generally paranoid, but I'd like to have a few seconds to react if the first level of the house is broken into.
You would also have the high ground....with the perp only having one way up.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:43 PM

754 posts, read 636,534 times
To me, MB up or down depends on your living situation.

Down is great if you have older kids, up is better if you have babies/toddlers.

We bought our house with the MB down - and soon realized it was a mistake after child #1 was ready to move to his own room. It's compounded by child #2.

What we did was move upstairs and use our MB as a guest bedroom (grandparents have to visit the kids). This works out because they have a private bath and bigger comfortable room to stay in. Also, when the kids get up early they have to get up too - and mom and dad can get some rest upstairs.

Also, the MB downstairs is a bit of a hassle with the kitchen and living room that close by.

Personally - our next house is going to be single level, with rooms on either end. I'm tired of steps.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:02 AM

160 posts, read 137,745 times
When we purchased our house we wanted a Master bedroom downstairs as we were i our late 40's. We have 2 bedrooms downstairs, 2 upstairs. and quite honestly I love it. But we don't have any children at home, so when we have guests they are clear on the other side of the house and we hear no noise. We don't have a 2nd floor over our master bedroom. Our house is kind of built like a a u with a courtyard in the center. We will live here even as we get older, if things were to change we could add an elevator or stair lift (chair)

Old 04-21-2013, 07:20 AM

499 posts, read 580,256 times
One other plus for the master downstairs... if you don't have kids upstairs and if you get a large enough downstairs with an office or whatever else you need, you might be able to avoid running the A/C upstairs most of the time, saving a lot on your heating/cooling bills.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:16 AM

416 posts, read 264,300 times
I like all the bedrooms to be together. If that's a two story, that means master up. If it's a one story, then the bedrooms should have their own area. The laundry should also be near the bedrooms. The "style" right now is to have bedrooms all separate and off the living areas, and the laundry in timbuktu, and I honestly don't understand how anyone can stand it.

As far as demographics, none of the elderly folks in our family have chosen to move in with their children, or sell their lifelong home. The boomers are all already living in the home they plan to retire in. I wonder if some of the predictions are overblown.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:30 AM

5,233 posts, read 6,101,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmer View Post
As far as demographics, none of the elderly folks in our family have chosen to move in with their children, or sell their lifelong home. The boomers are all already living in the home they plan to retire in. I wonder if some of the predictions are overblown.
It seems there is a cultural component as well. Plenty of folks are moving into Avery Ranch and the other northern 'tech' burbs with a single older family member. So many, in fact, that our agent mentioned the TWO master down as a plus in such a situation(Mother-in-law suite to use an older term). Just on our one block, there are two households with such an arrangement. Whether up OR down, it seems the second 'suite' is more popular than ever. Except that it is on the traffic side of the house, we could convert our game room and adjacent guest room into one heck of an upstairs master. We don't have an older relative needing a downstairs sutie; but that person could take the original master. Hmmmm.

For us, I'd vote master down every time; unless the layout is JUST the master upstairs(can't say I've seen that in the 'crow's nest' configurations we've viewed)....BUT, there can be no room above the master if the area is to be occupied regularly. Not interested in hearing folks scampering about while I'm trying to get my rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin