Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 40,872 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I live in Austin (within the city of Austin) and I wanted to build a shed and was wondering if I need a permit or not, or if there are some sort of guidelines that would keep me from needing one (e.g. <100 sqft, not attached, etc.)

I tried looking on their website but there are no details, I called their phone, but after 20+ minutes waiting for them to finish their solitaire game I lost my patience.

any help appreciated.

/p
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 06:36 PM

869 posts, read 2,943,227 times
If your property is within the City of Austin jurisdiction and you are erecting any building or structure, you are required to obtain City of Austin Permits and a site plan approval or site plan exemption.

That's from the City of Austin Building Website...sounds like you will need one...

Old 06-02-2008, 11:52 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,960,096 times
Under the City of Austin Development rules, a building permit is not required for a permit with an area less than 120 square feet and a height of 12 feet, regardless of construction type.

Watch out for utility right-of-way easements and any subdivisions covenants that will be identified in an official survey. Make sure you survey for this. If you don't, it can effect your resale of your property.

If you need additional guidance feel free to send me a private message. I am registered TX Professional Engineer who specializes in building and fire code analysis and assessments who has lived in Austin for over 25 years. Moderators I am not soliciting business.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 40,202 times
We just bought a house 2 blocks west of south congress right behind Guero's
and Uncommon Objects ... The house had an old shed on it but it was old and
beat up so we ot rid of it ... all we wanna do is put up a new shed.

According to what i've read in hear if I build something 12 x 12 ft I
dont need to deal with any bureaucrats ... Can anyone be of any help?

George
[email]georgesarris@mac.com[/email]

Old 02-17-2009, 03:38 PM

6 posts, read 79,778 times
most of these replies are correct. I used to be a code enforcement inspector for the city of austin but now run my own permit consulting firm. Just be sure you stay out of the setback areas. They run parallel to your property lines and are generally 5' on the side, and 10' from the rear property line. Hope this helps. david

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 05-06-2009 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 02-17-2009, 04:21 PM

15 posts, read 105,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDC1974 View Post
most of these replies are correct. I used to be a code enforcement inspector for the city of austin but now run my own permit consulting firm. Just be sure you stay out of the setback areas. They run parallel to your property lines and are generally 5' on the side, and 10' from the rear property line. Hope this helps. david
David, if I understand you correctly you cannot build a shed within 5' of your side property line? Is there some sort of size restriction for that or does that apply to any sized shed? I was wanting to build a small shed (6x8) and place it up against my fence on my side yard. Does that sound like it would be ok? Thanks for the post.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 05-06-2009 at 02:54 PM..

Old 02-17-2009, 05:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,113,493 times
Your survey should show setbacks and easements.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:23 PM

389 posts, read 1,626,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVAL01 View Post
David, if I understand you correctly you cannot build a shed within 5' of your side property line? Is there some sort of size restriction for that or does that apply to any sized shed? I was wanting to build a small shed (6x8) and place it up against my fence on my side yard. Does that sound like it would be ok? Thanks for the post.
Correct. You can not build a structure against a fence unless said fence is at least 5' off the side property line or 10' off the back property line - regardless of the size of the structure.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:31 PM

3 posts, read 79,230 times
I am inquiring about a relative that has tore town a garage and rebuilt it. Same structure, same size but I am not sure if she can get penalized for this. With your experience I was wondering how to avoid what sounds to be penalty fees for her. This was all done in 2 1/2 days and all that is needed is painting inside.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:29 PM

38 posts, read 174,624 times
Just curious I'm thinking about building a porch on to my house which would be just about 10 x 12 and my house is a hill so the porch would be around 8' above grade ... Does anyone have a sense as to whether that would require a permit? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin