Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 01:02 PM

634 posts, read 1,442,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
From reading these posts it seems Austin's bus system is severely lacking for such a growing sprawled out Metro. Im very sorry for those that depend on it, and especially those that have no other means to get from A to B. It is like that in much of the USA primarily the southern and Southwest areas of the country and their large Metro's. Cities such as Austin, San Antonio, Jacksonville, Tampa, Vegas, Phoenix and Tucson to name some of them. These cities became car dependent decades ago, and have shown little interest in being any thing else. With the exception of Phoenix that is making some strides in building transit it is almost non existent in said cities.

Austins bus system is what it is because the attitude of having sufficient transit options is not strong in the sunbelt. It takes both citizens and politicians to address the need for it and take care of the problem. Transit is not being pushed enough and I believe has been voted down in previous years. The reason your bus company is faltering is because it is being allowed to falter.

I think for the person that is dependent on transit, cities such as Austin are not adequate considerations. The difficulty in getting from A to B is so compromised, by where someone would have to live to have the most limited transit makes it a very difficult life.

I've run into several people from the Austin area here in Portland, as well as people from other areas of America that live in Portland because of the transit. People that could not afford a car or do not want to own one. All of them from Austin and Florida another transit lacking location, said life was so difficult there without a car they had to leave. THey had to live somewhere and found the options so limited in Ameirca they live here. Not everyone can afford to live in NYC or Chicago etc, so they choose the very few smaller somewhat affordable cities in America with transit. Yes it definitely sounds like Austin is not a city for the person that needs to get around without a car.
You make valid points. And yes, there is no denying that sunbelt cities are not known for their astounding public transportation options, nor is there any plan to really emphasize public transportation in future transportation investments. At least not in Austin. I also know someone who moved from Austin to Portland (to attend school and because she was tired of Austin), and before she did so she sold her car because she didn't think she would need it. Thus far, two years later, she's not once regretted selling her car. The very opposite is true in Austin. Take the Craigslist postings for example. Outside of postings designed to attract students, no posting for employment or housing ever says, "Look! We're close to a Capital Metro bus stop!" Only the students are enticed with such offerings (i.e. "Look, we're on a shuttle bus route."). People who live in Austin and rely on the bus usually find themselves contemplating how they might buy a car (more than likely a cheap, exhaust-emitting used car if they are being paid Austin standard wages) in order to enjoy whatever it is Austin has to offer them, or to even be considered for employment. I have no interest in staying in Austin beyond 2012, but am having no luck finding work; at least not work that pays above minimum wage and is on a consistent bus route which wouldn't require five hours of daily bus riding time. I've been there done that and value my sanity too much to do it again.

Portland is nice, but I don't think I could live there. It's just too, well, white. Sorry, I know that sounds like "race-baiting" to some of the cool kids on C-D, but it has nothing to do with a dislike of white people. I've lived in Austin practically my whole life so pretty much 70% of the people I know are white. I get tired of being their token. I go their parties and never see another non-white person. Well, sometimes there are two of us. If I'm really lucky, three. Even so, my time in the Oakland gave me a taste of what it's like to live in a genuinely diverse community, and I miss it terribly.

Also, isn't the job market in Portland worse than the job market in Austin? Otherwise, I'd kill for a system like the MAX. But to make that happen I'll have to escape Austin and Texas, because public transportation here is second to cars and highways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 06:02 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,372,889 times
Quote:
Not everyone can afford to live in NYC or Chicago etc, so they choose the very few smaller somewhat affordable cities in America with transit. Yes it definitely sounds like Austin is not a city for the person that needs to get around without a car.
Most cities in America are not good for people relying on public transportation, and that's just a sad fact. It's not just the sunbelt; it's our entire country. Most small to mid-sized towns, for example, don't even have public transportation. When I was a kid, I lived in a town that didn't even have taxi service.

Even when I lived in Berkeley, the public transportation was extremely crappy, I'd say definitely worse than Austin. San Francisco proper was fine -- but even then, you have to live very central where it's most expensive to get good use out of it. Same thing for Seattle, Portland, Anchorage, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio -- and Austin, of course. Most parts of California were abysmal, especially L.A. and San Jose.

The biggest problem, to my mind, is that people want their own piece of land, and they want to own it. They want to buy a house. But, they can't afford the house they want in the city. They won't settle for a condo, or a smaller 2-1 home. This means they're purportedly "priced out." So, they move to the 'burbs where they can "own." If you want that, be prepared to also own a car -- that's what the 'burbs were built for.

Sure, I could get a lot more bang for my buck if I moved further away from the bus stops -- as in, a LOT more. But I'd also make up for it in car insurance, gas, toll charges, vehicle maintenance and most importantly, time. I live very modestly, in the central part of Austin; I rent in an older, affordable complex that's still very livable. Everything works that needs to work. No, I don't have a 3-2 with a yard with a privacy fence on a half-acre of land -- what a miserable life I must lead!

Old 10-20-2010, 08:11 PM

9,491 posts, read 16,384,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
You make valid points. And yes, there is no denying that sunbelt cities are not known for their astounding public transportation options, nor is there any plan to really emphasize public transportation in future transportation investments. At least not in Austin. I also know someone who moved from Austin to Portland (to attend school and because she was tired of Austin), and before she did so she sold her car because she didn't think she would need it. Thus far, two years later, she's not once regretted selling her car. The very opposite is true in Austin. Take the Craigslist postings for example. Outside of postings designed to attract students, no posting for employment or housing ever says, "Look! We're close to a Capital Metro bus stop!" Only the students are enticed with such offerings (i.e. "Look, we're on a shuttle bus route."). People who live in Austin and rely on the bus usually find themselves contemplating how they might buy a car (more than likely a cheap, exhaust-emitting used car if they are being paid Austin standard wages) in order to enjoy whatever it is Austin has to offer them, or to even be considered for employment. I have no interest in staying in Austin beyond 2012, but am having no luck finding work; at least not work that pays above minimum wage and is on a consistent bus route which wouldn't require five hours of daily bus riding time. I've been there done that and value my sanity too much to do it again.

Portland is nice, but I don't think I could live there. It's just too, well, white. Sorry, I know that sounds like "race-baiting" to some of the cool kids on C-D, but it has nothing to do with a dislike of white people. I've lived in Austin practically my whole life so pretty much 70% of the people I know are white. I get tired of being their token. I go their parties and never see another non-white person. Well, sometimes there are two of us. If I'm really lucky, three. Even so, my time in the Oakland gave me a taste of what it's like to live in a genuinely diverse community, and I miss it terribly.

Also, isn't the job market in Portland worse than the job market in Austin? Otherwise, I'd kill for a system like the MAX. But to make that happen I'll have to escape Austin and Texas, because public transportation here is second to cars and highways.
You also make valid points. I have to admit there isn't much beyond transit options in Portland that really makes this an appealing area for me. The thrill of Portland and its transit and mountain views and the coast 1 1/2 hours away, can fade fast for some that move here. It is also much to white for me and Im white, but from the Mass originally. Im use to alot more actual diversity, not Portland's idea of it. To listen to many of them if they see someone from Mexico or Asia in a store that is diversity. Not exactly my view of how diversity works or interacts with each other. Also Portland's type of society and immense social problems in your face every day basically has turned me off.

Yes the unemployment is horrible here and has been for 14 years straight. I believe it is 2nd only to Michigan. It hovers somewhere between 10 and 14% but actually must be higher. I think those are the percentages of people they know are actually unemployed. Thats what you get when a population is so envioronmental and tax unfriendly to perspective employers. Very few meaningful employers look to set up shop in Oregon. It seems many want it that way to keep Oregon different than the rest of America. After all Oregonians feel this state and many of them, are better than any other place on earth or any people. Of course many are high on Pot and Meth and who know what else.

So I agree with your comments. Again I am sorry Austin and so much of America does basically nothing on the transit issues. Im not a big fan of Portland and plan to leave in 2011, but I have to give the city credit for all this transit.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:16 PM

9,491 posts, read 16,384,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
Most cities in America are not good for people relying on public transportation, and that's just a sad fact. It's not just the sunbelt; it's our entire country. Most small to mid-sized towns, for example, don't even have public transportation. When I was a kid, I lived in a town that didn't even have taxi service.

Even when I lived in Berkeley, the public transportation was extremely crappy, I'd say definitely worse than Austin. San Francisco proper was fine -- but even then, you have to live very central where it's most expensive to get good use out of it. Same thing for Seattle, Portland, Anchorage, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio -- and Austin, of course. Most parts of California were abysmal, especially L.A. and San Jose.

The biggest problem, to my mind, is that people want their own piece of land, and they want to own it. They want to buy a house. But, they can't afford the house they want in the city. They won't settle for a condo, or a smaller 2-1 home. This means they're purportedly "priced out." So, they move to the 'burbs where they can "own." If you want that, be prepared to also own a car -- that's what the 'burbs were built for.

Sure, I could get a lot more bang for my buck if I moved further away from the bus stops -- as in, a LOT more. But I'd also make up for it in car insurance, gas, toll charges, vehicle maintenance and most importantly, time. I live very modestly, in the central part of Austin; I rent in an older, affordable complex that's still very livable. Everything works that needs to work. No, I don't have a 3-2 with a yard with a privacy fence on a half-acre of land -- what a miserable life I must lead!

Your correct the majority of America is terrible for transit options and it seems it will never change. At least in many of our lifetimes.

Your doing what you should be doing. Living where it makes it easier for you to get around, even if the housing cost more in your area. There are so many hidden costs when we move somewhere where housing is cheaper. One is the cost and maintenance of the car, as well as the cost of all the gas we need to get around.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:25 PM

73 posts, read 147,592 times
I'm a musician! I don't own a car! I've lived here since June. Please, please, please consider my perspective:
I play the piano, and I have an electric keyboard. Not a synth, but a huge, 88 key, electric piano. And I ride a bicycle pretty much exclusively. So I've joined a car-sharing program called car2go (Welcome to car2go) and it is very much worth it - you pay nothing if you don't use the service.
I've hauled my keyboard out to some open mics and was incredibly frustrated for a few months. Then, about 3 weeks ago, something happened, I had met a critical mass of people, and the music gods smiled upon me. I'm now in 2 bands, (modestly) earning money, and enjoying myself immensely.

Here's the dichotomy. The good news is: there's a lot of musicians in Austin. The bad news is: There's a lot of musicians in Austin. I recommend networking with other artists and exploring your options. This is a very competitive town, but there's also a lot of opportunities.

Regarding the car, or lack thereof: What instrument do you play? Guitar? Bass? If it's anything that you can strap on your back and carry, you have nothing AT ALL to be afraid of. Even in my case, things were annoying for a bit, but I've got plenty of fellow musicians (and even a friend/fan or two) who are willing to put my keyboard in their trunk and drive out to a gig.

Look, Austin is not a panacea, and it is overrated. But there's a lot of truth to the stereotypes you hear. This really is a well-educated, artsy town with a strong liberal tilt in the middle of Texas. I was so impressed recently when the Austin Symphony opened their season with Carmina Burana. I heard random people around town talking about it! People like the arts. They support it out of a kind of civic pride. And it almost never snows. Don't you want to live here? I'm certainly enjoying myself.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:41 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,753,791 times
Most of Austin requires a car, but if you pick your home carefully, it is quite possible to live and live well in Austin sans car, especially if you are renting in parts of Central Austin. I did it for a year. I lived on 8th street off Blanco in a gorgeous 1 bedroom duplex built in 1912 with hardwoods throughout, a wrap around porch and a cute but small backyard for $750. The granted much uglier apartment building across the road would regularly advertise efficiencies for $400 and 1 bedrooms for $550. I could take either the LA or ER shuttle to campus where I worked or on nice days walk- 25 minutes or so. Generally the campus shuttle buses are more reliable than CapMetro, and anyone can ride them. I could walk to either West Lynn or 6th Street to grocery shop at Fresh Plus or Whole Foods. There were more than a dozen restaurants at every price point within 15 minutes walking distance. I could walk to the Town Like Hike and Bike Trail and Deep Eddy and Barton Springs were easily bikeable. When I wanted to go out drinking and/or dancing, I could either walk to Donn's Depot, Deep Eddy Cabaret, the Mean-Eyed Cat or pay $6 for a cab downtown. Except for grocery shopping, the 6th, 7th and 11th Street corridors east of 35 offer similar convenience and amenities. As do parts of Rosedale, Hyde Park, North and West Campus, South Congress, South Lamar, Travis Heights, North Loop, Hancock Park, and if you never need to go out at night, the anachronistically misnamed Far West. While most of these are expensive neighborhoods to buy, cheap and sometimes very charming rentals can be had. You just have to look. I then moved to Wilshire Woods and a car became more necessary. I now live downtown, and sometimes a couple of weeks go by without me going down to the garage to get my car!

Old 10-21-2010, 08:21 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,253,648 times
Absolutely!! Austin is a city 100% dependant on gas guzzling pickups and SUV's. Capitol Metro is a failing enterprise that has been loosing millions of dollars over the past several years. This is mainly due to it's irresponsible management, and continuous financial mistakes. Assuming no major changes are made, I would suspect the entire transit system to be bankrupt in just a few years. It is one of the few metro transit systems in the country that has never made a dime since its inception in 1986.

Quote:
From reading these posts it seems Austin's bus system is severely lacking for such a growing sprawled out Metro. Im very sorry for those that depend on it, and especially those that have no other means to get from A to B. It is like that in much of the USA primarily the southern and Southwest areas of the country and their large Metro's. Cities such as Austin, San Antonio, Jacksonville, Tampa, Vegas, Phoenix and Tucson to name some of them. These cities became car dependent decades ago, and have shown little interest in being any thing else. With the exception of Phoenix that is making some strides in building transit it is almost non existent in said cities.

Austins bus system is what it is because the attitude of having sufficient transit options is not strong in the sunbelt. It takes both citizens and politicians to address the need for it and take care of the problem. Transit is not being pushed enough and I believe has been voted down in previous years. The reason your bus company is faltering is because it is being allowed to falter.

I think for the person that is dependent on transit, cities such as Austin are not adequate considerations. The difficulty in getting from A to B is so compromised, by where someone would have to live to have the most limited transit makes it a very difficult life.

I've run into several people from the Austin area here in Portland, as well as people from other areas of America that live in Portland because of the transit. People that could not afford a car or do not want to own one. All of them from Austin and Florida another transit lacking location, said life was so difficult there without a car they had to leave. THey had to live somewhere and found the options so limited in Ameirca they live here. Not everyone can afford to live in NYC or Chicago etc, so they choose the very few smaller somewhat affordable cities in America with transit. Yes it definitely sounds like Austin is not a city for the person that needs to get around without a car.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:13 AM

13 posts, read 22,167 times
Default bus system

how have you been on the bus system to be I am Potentially to the moving to south east austin. Any recommendations or suggestions would be very helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin