U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 06:50 AM

3,696 posts, read 5,810,774 times

Advertisements

It's a great thing if it weren't for the "idiots", (using Hogan's Heroes voice) . Sorry, but this morning AGAIN people are simply idiots behind the wheel of tonsofsteel, (well plastic nowadays).

Please, how do we get the message across that kids are walking/riding their bikes now so STOP when you see one coming while your backing out of your driveway. DON'T try to outrun the bike!

Please, don't see how close you can get to the biker without actually killing them.

Please, but your GD cell phone down. Is that an emergency call you're making?? If so, pull the hell over.

I am absolutely terrified at the number of drivers I see behind the wheel NOT looking at the road but eyes pointed down. wth is going on?? Blind drivers on the road.

Please, when your pet shetz on the riding/walking path: CLEAN IT UP! Or, at the very least, have them do it on the grass so we don't have to ride/walk on it.

and as a side note: what is the proper plural for hero? hero's, heroes, or heros?

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 09-28-2010 at 07:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 08:08 AM

8,153 posts, read 13,541,681 times
As you know, it's 'heroes'. Consonant followed by 'o' indicates the addition of 'es' to form plural. NOT that rules of American English are held any more .

Regarding the drivers around bicycles, I'm afraid that most idiot motorists will remain in their own world--no matter their surroundings.

I've been surprised(encouraged) by the number of bicycles I've seen parked at schools in our area(north north Austin/Round Rock/Cedar Park). Unfortunately, this means many more opportunities for accidents.

One of my 'triggers' is the driver who is engaged in 'various' activities while approaching a traffic signal. "Gee, the light is red 1/4 mile ahead. I'll just take this time to stop and make a call, send a text, read the paper, ANYTHING other than realize that there is a gap of 12 car lengths between my vehicle and the next." Of course, that same driver is ill-prepared to proceed once the light turns green, encouraging the drivers behind them to make crazy maneuvers in order to move along.

Don't get me started on drivers in school zones and work zones!

Old 09-28-2010, 09:21 AM

1,959 posts, read 5,396,583 times
I'm waiting for the messages that say that bikes don't belong on the road.... :-(

There are some really disturbing PSAs from England about texting and driving. Here is one that is very well done but it is difficult to get through. only watch if you have tissues near by.

TubeMotion - Watch Movies Online - Disturbing PSA Texting And Driving

Old 09-28-2010, 10:25 AM

9 posts, read 41,257 times
That is a cute video, who was it that placed all the cameras on those moving cars to get those great shots. I hate over dramatized editorials posted as the real thing.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:22 AM

16,721 posts, read 41,009,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
I'm waiting for the messages that say that bikes don't belong on the road.... :-(

There are some really disturbing PSAs from England about texting and driving. Here is one that is very well done but it is difficult to get through. only watch if you have tissues near by.

TubeMotion - Watch Movies Online - Disturbing PSA Texting And Driving
Looks like a real safe place for bicycling doesn't it?

Old 09-28-2010, 11:58 AM

26 posts, read 68,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
It's not that bikes don't belong on the road, stupid people on bikes don't belong on the road.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:05 PM

187 posts, read 402,551 times
Was shocked to see someone SPEEDING thru the school parking this morning while dropping my child off at school ... had to laugh when Mustang Ridge PD pulled them over 10 ft from the entrance!

Old 09-29-2010, 04:06 AM

4,405 posts, read 5,591,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
and as a side note: what is the proper plural for hero? hero's, heroes, or heros?
It is never, never correct to use an apostrophe for a plural. It indicates a possessive. (The hero's cape was red.) It can also show an omission or abreviation ("can't" or "gov't".) But never a plural. And the rule about adding the e before the s is that it is necessary if the word ends in a vowel. So "heroes" is correct. By the way, if you want to make it plural and possessive, you would put the apostrophe after the end (All five of the heroes' capes were red.) I see apostrophes used for plurals in lots of places, and it never stops grating on my nerves. I can see how people might start thinking that is OK, since it seems to be all around us, but honestly, don't the schools teach this sort of thing? I often see people making this mistake on this forum, but have declined correcting them, as most people would interpret the correction as being petty, I think. But since you asked ...

Old 09-29-2010, 05:48 AM

3,696 posts, read 5,810,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
but honestly, don't the schools teach this sort of thing? I often see people making this mistake on this forum, but have declined correcting them, as most people would interpret the correction as being petty, I think. But since you asked ...

I would hope that if I'm making mistakes like that someone would correct me with fact.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:35 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,787,423 times
I have been all over the country, and Austin is by far the city with the rudest most arrogant drivers in the country. Couple that with the fact that 95% of them are gas guzzling Tahoes and Expeditions, that makes it even more dangerous for the few of us driving cars (people from out of state or from Dallas). It's a simple fact, that if you give a DAMN about anyone but yourself, you don't talk on the cellphone while you are driving (unless you're out in the country with no one around) It is incredibly selfish and self centered to do this. The Austin Arrogance shines again!!

Please don't mistake what i;m saying. Other cities have this problem as well, but NOTHING close to the perfectages that Austin has.

PUT YOUR CELLPHONE DOWN AND DRIVE!! BE A RESPONSIBLE, MATURE PERSON WHO ACTUALLY GIVES A DAMN ABOUT OTHERS!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
It's a great thing if it weren't for the "idiots", (using Hogan's Heroes voice) . Sorry, but this morning AGAIN people are simply idiots behind the wheel of tonsofsteel, (well plastic nowadays).

Please, how do we get the message across that kids are walking/riding their bikes now so STOP when you see one coming while your backing out of your driveway. DON'T try to outrun the bike!

Please, don't see how close you can get to the biker without actually killing them.

Please, but your GD cell phone down. Is that an emergency call you're making?? If so, pull the hell over.

I am absolutely terrified at the number of drivers I see behind the wheel NOT looking at the road but eyes pointed down. wth is going on?? Blind drivers on the road.

Please, when your pet shetz on the riding/walking path: CLEAN IT UP! Or, at the very least, have them do it on the grass so we don't have to ride/walk on it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or