Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:26 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post

In a plug for 24, I taught at 24 on William Cannon and now teach at one in Seattle. At our area Costco they have a deal where you can buy 2 years for $300. You might see if the Austin area Costco carries it.
Yes, that deal is available at the Austin Costco locations (the last time I checked anyway). It's also available on the Costco website. If you're not a Costco member, I think they just charge you a 5% surcharge to purchase items on-line.

Costco - 24 Hour Fitness 2-YR Adult Membership Free Shipping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 10:34 AM

308 posts, read 1,467,712 times
probably too late for me

about 2 years ago, I walked in LFT for a guest pass, and was talked into signing a membership without realizing the rate could be negotiatable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
As one who has worked at a few health clubs, has negotiated my own deals prior to working at a club and still works at a health club, it's much like buying a car. Go in, name your price, make it lower if you are willing to pay cash up front for an annual payment and be prepared to walk if you don't like what they tell you. They always have a special or promo coming out so tell them to call you when a deal closer to your price comes available. Be polite. Be firm. It also helps to come in with "I know this person (insert member's name) and they pay 'x' per month. I would like that same deal". Make sure the person is not on a company discount!

In a plug for 24, I taught at 24 on William Cannon and now teach at one in Seattle. At our area Costco they have a deal where you can buy 2 years for $300. You might see if the Austin area Costco carries it.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:35 AM

but 24 hour fitness is so crowded.... I tried the one close to aboretum before, and it took me really a long while to find a parking space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Yes, that deal is available at the Austin Costco locations (the last time I checked anyway). It's also available on the Costco website. If you're not a Costco member, I think they just charge you a 5% surcharge to purchase items on-line.

Costco - 24 Hour Fitness 2-YR Adult Membership Free Shipping

Old 10-04-2010, 01:17 PM

49 posts, read 101,178 times
Last time I checked Lifetime was $50/month. Or $60/month if you wanted access to the climbing wall and racquetball/squash courts (South Austin location). This was pay by the month, no memberships.

Instead I bought a 3-yr membership to 24-hour, averaged about $19/month. That is over, now I only pay $99/yr

Old 10-04-2010, 10:37 PM

really?! How come they don't use flat rate when there is no corporate discount?! There are only two locations, and the one I go to is the north one. I even don't know there would be difference for different access level, but I do have an impression that the climbing wall is always closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclimber99 View Post
Last time I checked Lifetime was $50/month. Or $60/month if you wanted access to the climbing wall and racquetball/squash courts (South Austin location). This was pay by the month, no memberships.

Instead I bought a 3-yr membership to 24-hour, averaged about $19/month. That is over, now I only pay $99/yr

Old 10-05-2010, 07:39 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times
Climbing wall has hours of operations. It isn't always closed.

The $50 I pay gives me access to everything. I never have to wait for a machine and their equipment is well maintained.
24 hour fitness...not so much.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:56 AM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,320 times
The climbing wall only seems like it's permanently closed, it does have hours, but it certainly appears to be closed way more often than it's open.

We like LT a lot, it's great if you have kiddos (the pools are wonderful). And of course if you're into racquetball/squash then there is no comparison. Like others, neither myself nor my wife have ever had to wait for any of the equipment since they seem to have tons. And it does seem pretty clean and most of the equipment is in good shape. My only complaints are that it could be cheaper and their online court reservation system sucks, hard.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:24 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times
No doubt! I don't even use it. I call them and reserve a court.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:47 AM

49 posts, read 101,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
The climbing wall only seems like it's permanently closed, it does have hours, but it certainly appears to be closed way more often than it's open.

We like LT a lot, it's great if you have kiddos (the pools are wonderful). And of course if you're into racquetball/squash then there is no comparison. Like others, neither myself nor my wife have ever had to wait for any of the equipment since they seem to have tons. And it does seem pretty clean and most of the equipment is in good shape. My only complaints are that it could be cheaper and their online court reservation system sucks, hard.
Yeah, I really had a tough decision when I decided to consolidate my gym memberships (I was at Gold's Gym and the Y). I had the Y membership only for racquetball, played there for almost 15 years. But then most of my buddies stopped playing, some moved to LT. I wasn't motivated to keep playing anymore (because I like running just as much and I can do that for free) so I dropped the Y membership and Gold's and moved to 24-hour. It was about the same price as what I has paying at Gold's and it had a pool. The climbing wall would have been nice at LT, but I wasn't willing to pay $60/month. The pools look fabulous, but I have no kids so again that wasn't that attractive to me.

I usually go to 24-hr after work and there's no issue using all the free weights/machines on the bottom floor. However there's usually a wait (not always) to use the aroebic machines upstairs. I don't use them (can't stand do aroebics indoors when I can run or bike outside) so it's not really an issue. My wife does though and she's able to get in a workout without much of a hassle. Sometimes the music is blaring a bit too loud for my taste. I don't see the point in playing music in a gym - the people that want to listen to music have Ipods and the rest of us would prefer just the natural sounds of the gym. Most of the time it's not that noticeable which is good.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:24 PM

24 posts, read 91,715 times
I got a year at 24 your fitness for $150, that $80 a month sounds like what i paid for jiu-jitsu classes. Tha's pretty steep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: