Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 07:57 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,059,327 times

Advertisements

So I read in the paper this weekend that critically acclaimed Fox series "Lone Star" was created by a fellow Austinite. Because I like to support local artists, I watched the pilot on hulu. It was really, really good.

'Lone Star' creator Kyle Killen calls Austin home

He's offering to mow people's lawns or provide sensual massages if people tune in on Monday. See "You're Invited to our Stunning Upset." The Letter Eleven

Now that I know he's a local, I am totally going to ask to have my lawn mowed!

Last edited by Bo; 09-28-2010 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: Merged two threads and updated title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 04:24 PM

So does not a single comment mean that none of the CD regulars were in the 4 million that watched? I guess the ratings really were that bad.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:32 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
So does not a single comment mean that none of the CD regulars were in the 4 million that watched? I guess the ratings really were that bad.
I've got it recorded but have been spending 2-3 hours each evening catching up with the new season. I'll record tonight's episode and watch them back to back, most likely.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
I watched. Not many other people did. The show's in danger of being cancelled.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:47 PM

589 posts, read 1,812,830 times
Okay, I watched it. I didn't want to say anything negative but I was unsettled by the premise. The hero is supposed to be struggling with his morality yet in the end he does the most despicable of things. I don't know why it bothered me since I love, love, loved Tony Soprano who was one of the most despicable TV characters ever. I also dig Steve Buscemi's character on the new HBO series Boardwalk Empire. I might tune in again but I likely won't. We watched The Event last week which was up against it (DVR) and I thought the timeline jumping on that show was too contrived. I just don't know which to choose. I might choose to read during that timeframe.

The 9 o'clock timeframe has three good shows though: Castle (kinda silly but fun), The Chase, and Hawaii Five-0. The Chase is replayed on USA on Tuesday's at 10 so I watch it then and I DVR both Castle and Hawaii Five-0 and decide to watch whichever I feel like watching at the time.

Of course, all of these shows could be cancelled by next week so we shall see. I really wish the networks would be more patient. Seinfeld flopped in its first year and would never have made it these days. Also, look what Fox did to Firefly; a series that turned into one of the most heavily purchased DVD sets in history. Big mistake there but at least they came back and made Serenity.

Okay, now everyone on City Data knows I am a TV addict in addition to being an internet addict. Thanks for exposing me Jenn.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:55 PM

589 posts, read 1,812,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I've got it recorded but have been spending 2-3 hours each evening catching up with the new season. I'll record tonight's episode and watch them back to back, most likely.
I see we have much in common. Too bad it is not something to be proud of.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:34 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
The main character has no redeeming qualities...he doesn't struggle much, and has nothing more than his baby-face pretty boy looks.

I'd watch Castle first, but since it comes on at 8:00 here, and Lone Star follows at 9:00, I don't have to choose or tape.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:21 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Texas Monthly recently gave Lone Star a scathing review, called it "unwatchable"
I hardly watch any tv, I won't be watching this, my goal this fall is to watch all of Friday Night Lights via netflix

Old 09-27-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Texas Monthly recently gave Lone Star a scathing review, called it "unwatchable"
I hardly watch any tv, I won't be watching this, my goal this fall is to watch all of Friday Night Lights via netflix
Do you have a link? That is the first negative review I've heard of. I thought it was really good. So did my husband and we rarely ever like the same shows. I am not a big TV watcher either but I thought I'd check it out since the creator is a local.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:54 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
my goal this fall is to watch all of Friday Night Lights via netflix
DW got hooked on Mad Men and went the netflix route for about a month! She said she had to watch each episode at least a couple of times to 'get it'. I can't say anything, given the hours of Food Network shows I have on DVR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: