Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 06:32 PM

385 posts, read 1,248,429 times

Advertisements

good grief. be nice people! I highly doubt this person is is out to steal bucket loads of river rocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 06:17 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,599 times
Heh, a rock hugger thread.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:25 PM

4 posts, read 6,194 times
Hey party pooping rock protectors: So, the ones at Lowes and Homedepot that you can buy, you think someone made those? Where do you think those came from? How is that better than just taking a few from remote locations during a trip to the river. The only difference is that when you buy from the hardware store, you pay for the gas used to transport the rocks, the middle man and for it to likely come from another state helping pay for huge excavations of rocks from likely concentrated locations, which most definitely has a larger impact on the environment than a few souvenir rocks carried off by individuals without dump trucks.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:35 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by critterface View Post
Hey party pooping rock protectors: So, the ones at Lowes and Homedepot that you can buy, you think someone made those? Where do you think those came from? How is that better than just taking a few from remote locations during a trip to the river. The only difference is that when you buy from the hardware store, you pay for the gas used to transport the rocks, the middle man and for it to likely come from another state helping pay for huge excavations of rocks from likely concentrated locations, which most definitely has a larger impact on the environment than a few souvenir rocks carried off by individuals without dump trucks.
This is an old thread but kind of amusing how people get their panties in a wad over a few stones. Truth is the guy can't even find those around here for free - so everyone can relax. Those are Mexican Beach pebbles and they're beautiful and kinda pricey. I know I've been eyeing my neighbor's...maybe if I take just a few at a time he won't notices...I digress. As for the river gravel around here you can get it cheap at almost any landscaping materials supply place and they'll take the trouble to deliver it for you ...and since that stuff is heavy, well worth it.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:48 PM

My neighbor just stole a native rock out of my yard (I just moved here a couple months ago) and they think I didn't notice. They put it in their side yard in plane view (geniuses). So that's maybe too awkward to call them out on it...so I am looking to replace it and maybe add one or two more of similar size (9"x12" white pitted limestone). This is how I found this ancient thread.

I collect fossils all the time from local hill country rivers and use them in my garden from rivers/creeks where no one ever goes that are littered with trash. Walnut creek is a great place to find all sorts of rocks (not the park area-other areas like under overpasses and such). Its pretty riddled with trash so I doubt taking rocks from there will limit anyone's ability to appreciate the trash dams that have formed throughout the dried up creek or the random sewer caps that pop up in the middle of the creek that the city so thoughtfully placed. Oh and also, it stinks so prepare yourself...oh and some of those overpasses have homeless tents under them so don't let that scare you either. Oh the beauty!

Last edited by critterface; 04-07-2013 at 10:02 PM..

Old 04-07-2013, 10:12 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by critterface View Post
My neighbor just stole a native rock out of my yard (I just moved here a couple months ago) and they think I didn't notice. They put it in their side yard in plane view (geniuses). So that's maybe too awkward to call them out on it...so I am looking to replace it and maybe add one or two more of similar size (9"x12" white pitted limestone). This is how I found this ancient thread.

I collect fossils all the time from local hill country rivers and use them in my garden from rivers/creeks where no one ever goes that are littered with trash. Walnut creek is a great place to find all sorts of rocks (not the park area-other areas like under overpasses and such). Its pretty riddled with trash so I doubt taking rocks from there will limit anyone's ability to appreciate the trash dams that have formed throughout the dried up creek or the random sewer caps that pop up in the middle of the creek that the city so thoughtfully placed. Oh and also, it stinks so prepare yourself...oh and some of those overpasses have homeless tents under them so don't let that scare you either. Oh the beauty!

Does anyone else see the internal inconsistency here? What, it's naturally occurring trash?

Also, if your neighbors stole your rock after you moved in, and you can see it, just go take it back. What are they going to do, say you stole the rock they stole?

Old 04-07-2013, 10:22 PM

I do actually pick up trash whenever I see it on the ground, as much as I can carry anyway. To this day I have never seen one person in Austin parks pick up trash if they see it on the ground or in a creek, they just walk by it and I come up behind them and pick it up. My point was, if you want to find some rocks and not have people get pissed that you are supposedly destroying natural habitat that the city of austin takes a dump on every day, you can go behind the scenes in walnut creek and find a few. I never said trash was naturally occurring, so I don't get your point. Im not using the evidence of trash to justify taking rocks, just as an indicator that no one gives a 'dam' in those areas - pun intended. If you see trash you should pick it up. I'm amazed by the beauty of the creeks around Austin and amazed by how poorly they are maintained by the city and the parks services when you venture beyond the popular public areas. Its really sad.

Last edited by critterface; 04-07-2013 at 10:34 PM..

Old 04-07-2013, 10:35 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,291 times
The OP was seemingly referring to bulk quantities of river rock. As for the naturally occurring limestone, construction sites are awesome for scavanging these. I've had very good luck just asking the building superintendent, they've all just pointed at their slag piles and said "have fun". A few minutes of digging around and I've found some real nice ones.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:03 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Quote:
no one ever goes that are littered with trash.
"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded" - Yogi Berra

Old 06-18-2017, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 643 times
Gee whiz. I never thought picking up a few rocks or shells from the beach or river was a crime. I think it fun looking for them and like to paint them. I like to find a handful not a truck load. I realize that if everyone did it there wouldn't be any left, but is everyone doing it? I've bought rocks in the store but would really love to be able to find some on my own. When coworkers go on vacation, I ask them to bring me two stones. I'll paint one for them and one for me. I have a small collection from all over. Is that really horrible of me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: