Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 08:59 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times

Advertisements

It's been pretty rough for us too. With the cold front that's supposed to blow in this weekend, won't much of the pollen die off? (Well, not die, but decrease? )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 10:23 AM

63 posts, read 133,758 times
A few people at my work said to go to COSTCO and get ALER-TEC. It is generic of Zyrtec. You can get a 300 bottle for like $10

Costco - Kirkland Signature

Old 01-08-2011, 10:49 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,395 times
I dont like the idea of drug dependence or side effects so I use 100% essential oils for a bit of relief. Lavender oil is a natural antihistamine and is safe topically. A few dabs of the stuff on my inner cheek and it works wonders on my allergies. Also if I have symptoms at home at night I warm some in an essential oil diffuser and it really helps.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:08 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,924,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
I dont like the idea of drug dependence or side effects so I use 100% essential oils for a bit of relief. Lavender oil is a natural antihistamine and is safe topically. A few dabs of the stuff on my inner cheek and it works wonders on my allergies. Also if I have symptoms at home at night I warm some in an essential oil diffuser and it really helps.
I've been fortunate to avoid most pollen allergies - ragweed being the exception. However this year, the cedar is bothering me some. But what I wanted to say was be careful with lavender - it's in the same family as ragweed and I get an allergic reaction to it.

There is a homeopathic remedy my husband uses that seems to help - it's Allergena and they are drops you put under your tongue. They are targeted to different zones of the country and different types of allergens. Another natural remedy that has helped me is mangosteen juice. I can really tell a difference when I drink it regularly during allergy season.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:53 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
It was a nice day so decided to talk my son for a walk to the park. Big mistake. I can't wear my contacts right now, my eyes are so itchy. Been sneezing constantly and have a runny nose. I don't want to take any medicine today because my Saints are playing soon and I want to be able to enjoy a beer. This sucks.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:04 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
My allergy medicine has never stopped me from having a drink when I wanted one. My eye doctor turned me on to an antihitamine eye drop that really helps the itchy eye problem also. It is called Zaditor.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:06 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I've been fortunate to avoid most pollen allergies - ragweed being the exception. However this year, the cedar is bothering me some. But what I wanted to say was be careful with lavender - it's in the same family as ragweed and I get an allergic reaction to it.

There is a homeopathic remedy my husband uses that seems to help - it's Allergena and they are drops you put under your tongue. They are targeted to different zones of the country and different types of allergens. Another natural remedy that has helped me is mangosteen juice. I can really tell a difference when I drink it regularly during allergy season.
Well it kind of goes without saying if you're allergic to something dont use it! Though for me lavender oil is quite effective and means I dont have to take pharmaceuticals which require daily ingestion and usually have some form of side effects.

Also when I said inner cheek I dont mind inside my mouth I mean on my cheek somewhat near my nose.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:01 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,924,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
My allergy medicine has never stopped me from having a drink when I wanted one. My eye doctor turned me on to an antihitamine eye drop that really helps the itchy eye problem also. It is called Zaditor.
I also have a prescription eye drop called Pataday that helps considerably.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:16 AM

589 posts, read 1,812,830 times
My question is in relation to Cedar Fever and that green pollin. DH is suffering from Cedar Fever and was prescribed Allegra D and a nasal steroid which usually worked quite well to manage his allergies in the bad years in Northern California. This stuff did not even touch his issues here so we are supplementing, with some fears, with Claritin, Sudafed and Claritin eye drops. He has a follow up with the doc because obviously this cannot continue. The appointment is Tuesday but I'm wondering if this rain will help.

To my mind the rain should have washed the pollin away into the dirt. Am I right? Do you think it will help?

Old 01-09-2011, 09:29 AM

648 posts, read 1,964,508 times
I'm with Xlaw's husband. I'm taking way too many drugs right now. I'm taking so much I haven't had a glass of wine for 2 weeks.

Going to my doctor next week to try and come up with a better plan. A colleague says she gets a steriod shot that works 6 weeks.

MY EARS HAVE BEEN CLOGGED FOR 2 WEEKS. DRIVING ME NUTS. FEEL LIKE I'M YELLING AT EVERYONE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin