U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 05:08 PM

75,317 posts, read 36,472,776 times

Advertisements

Some come daily via vans from other cities that have banned panhandling.

Austin passed a panhandling ordinance but it was ruled unconstitutional because it unfairly targeted the homeless and unemployed..go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 08:29 PM

2,060 posts, read 3,538,522 times
Can't be NEAR as bad as San Francisco. I avoid going there at all costs even though I live 10 miles away simply because you just about trip over the homeless there and what's more- they are aggressive.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:13 PM

516 posts, read 798,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Not so sure they are all homeless. There's no requirement that one not have a home to panhandle. Just sayin'.
Have to agree. There have been some interesting articles writen about many of these people. Turns out many are not that bad off. I will be the first one in line to help someone who really needs help, but I refuse to be scammed. I moved from a much larger city, so I was surprised to find so many more people with signs here standing on corners.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:50 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,956,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Can't be NEAR as bad as San Francisco. I avoid going there at all costs even though I live 10 miles away simply because you just about trip over the homeless there and what's more- they are aggressive.
I've witnessed that, just from visiting. Ours aren't aggressive...yet.

One gripe I have about the city of Austin is allowing conspicuous panhandling to continue.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:41 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,188,234 times
Not too long ago I handed one panhandler a reciept from Sonic (about 2 blocks away from where the panhandler was), that indicated they were hiring. The panhandler looked at it, wadded it up, and threw it on the ground. Sorry - that's where it ends for me. I don't look at them, I don't give them money, and I don't accept whatever they're giving away or selling in exchange for a 'donation' (for a probable non-existent church or treatment center). It is quite intrusive, if you ask me, for someone to badger me for a handout and then get belligerant or rude if I don't give it to them. At first I felt guilty. After three years of it, the guilt has gone away.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:02 AM

6,683 posts, read 3,643,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I'm sure this thread is bound to turn in the wrong direction.

Yes, there is a homeless shelter, but they actually "make" money by standing on the street corners. They don't "make" any money if they're inside the homeless shelter. The reason that you see more here is because the police aren't allowed to make them move from the street corners like they are in other cities.
Free enterprise.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:09 AM

2,081 posts, read 2,467,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Having lived in San Francisco myself, I agree that San Francisco's homeless situation is far worse.

I noticed also that the homeless situation in Austin got a lot worse in 2005 after Austin became a major destination for Hurricane Katrina evacuees.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:25 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,268,511 times
why so many?

8 years of RW debacles have taken their toll and many middle class people have fallen over the edge.

there are over 200k homeless Veterans in the USA.

Americans haven't really "earned this".

Old 10-06-2010, 03:37 PM

3,156 posts, read 3,461,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
why so many?

8 years of RW debacles have taken their toll and many middle class people have fallen over the edge.
there are over 200k homeless Veterans in the USA.
Americans haven't really "earned this".

What is RW?

Old 10-06-2010, 03:41 PM

6,873 posts, read 10,863,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
What is RW?
I think it rhymes with "Might Sing"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin