Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 01:29 PM

701 posts, read 2,473,883 times

Advertisements

Huh...I started reading up on the pool thing a bit. The home we're buying is walking distance to Clayton, so should be walking distance to the baby pool (seriously...couldn't they pick a better way to term it?). Considering all the back and forth, we may save our pennies for a pool in the back yard.

Oh, did I say buying? I did! I'm hoping we enter escrow today or tomorrow. Or I guess they call it something other than escrow around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 01:40 PM

So I looked at the info and chatter on the to-be-pool in Circle C. Sounds like it will take forever and a day? We may opt for a pool anyhow.

The house we put a bid on has enough room in the back but it's still walking distance to Clayton elem. so we can use that if we want. Biking distance to the actual pool, so that's good, too.

I remember the pools in Rancho SM, Daisy31. Those were pretty cool especially if you have little kids. The mandatory 5-minute break every 1/2 hr. or hr. was really good, too. So far I haven't really seen anything that came close to those pools they had out here in Austin.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:23 PM

15,241 posts, read 35,440,091 times
Quote:
I remember the pools in Rancho SM, Daisy31. Those were pretty cool especially if you have little kids. The mandatory 5-minute break every 1/2 hr. or hr. was really good, too.
Dick Nichols pool, on Beckett just N. of Davis lane, is a big pool that has recently been converted to 'heated' for the winter (just enough to keep you from freezing, I think) for the lap swimmers. The 5 minute break is actually for the lifeguards to check the bottom of the pool, I think .

Quote:
The house we put a bid on has enough room in the back
Circle C is affected by the SOS (save our springs) ordinace, that limits the amount (percent) of impervious cover. I have heard that some lots do not have enough 'percent' left to build a pool (or maybe just not as big as they wanted), so you may want to verify that if you are really serious about building a pool.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:52 PM

6,330 posts, read 17,986,506 times
Quote:
So far I haven't really seen anything that came close to those pools they had out here in Austin.
Austin has more public pools per capita than any other US City. As you get to know the city, and explore further from home, you'll find numerous excellent pools, large and small, all over Austin.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Austin has more public pools per capita than any other US City. As you get to know the city, and explore further from home, you'll find numerous excellent pools, large and small, all over Austin.
I sure hope so! I would love to have my own pool, but it would be nice to have other options as well.

I'm just crazy happy that we found a house we both love in the area we hoped we could be in---I honestly didn't think we'd find something in Circle C that we could afford even if available. But anyway, we snapped it up after it was on the market for a day or so and saved the sellers from too many open house events =)

Old 07-11-2007, 12:59 AM

111 posts, read 332,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
What she is so nostalgic for is truly extraordinary. RSM in SoCal is in a INCREDIBLE setting with unbelievable amenities. They have a fresh water sandy bottomed swimming lagoon next to a lake. This is all at the base of a 6,000 ft high GORGEOUS mountain. I can't even remember how many OTHER pools we had available. They were all in lovely settings with mountain views. We missed out on the opportunity to buy a house and just had a townhouse there. We had to move to a less expensive area to buy a SFH. It really was like living in a resort. Here is a picture of the lake with the mountain behind it. The beach club is next to it.
BTW, at Highpointe, I found a pool area I love almost as much. I love the idea of the huge oaks and the breezes by that pool.
Attached Thumbnails
In Austin-Finally! And Query on Belterra-ranchosm.jpg  

Old 07-11-2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisch View Post

Oh, did I say buying? I did! I'm hoping we enter escrow today or tomorrow. Or I guess they call it something other than escrow around here.
YAY! I am so happy for you!

Old 07-11-2007, 09:10 AM

Thanks, Daisy31. I agree about the lake and pools in RSM. They were really cool. We had good friends who lived there and we hung out at Beach Club often since the older kids and little ones could hang out in the same area.

The idea behind RSM was that it was planned so that you had industry/businesses and residences in one small-ish area so you could walk or bike to work. In the beginning, that didn't really happen. I think they were trying to lure GE and some other big companies. Despite that, the neighborhood amenities (pools, hiking & bike trails, etc.) were and are a huge draw. The schools are pretty good, too. And Southern Californians will put up with commutes to live in places like RSM.

You'll have to share the pool at Highpointe if you move there! Hehe. What does it look like?

Oh...a note about the mountain...a friend of ours moved from Chicago to Orange County in the early 90s. It was several years later, after some rain, that he even saw the mountains that surround Orange County!

Old 07-11-2007, 01:42 PM

Thanks, CCChick! It's great to know that people who live there love it. And as some folks on this board have mentioned, the location is really great. For us, the location within Circle C can't be beat either. 44 days and counting til move in...

You don't enjoy the humidity, huh? Well, we came from dry, dry California desert and I love the humidity. It helps that I grew up in it, but my hubby who didn't likes it, too. We'll see, though, if we feel the same come August!

One other thing I really liked about Circle C area and in particular Circle C West is how everything looks so nice when you're driving to and through it. We didn't get the same feel when we drove through Steiner, another choice on our list. The house we liked over there was smaller (ok with me) but the cost was significantly more (it is a former model, on the market as of today). But I just love how there are so many trees and beautiful stacked stone walls that don't feel to obtrusive.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Old 07-11-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisch View Post
You'll have to share the pool at Highpointe if you move there! Hehe. What does it look like?

Oh...a note about the mountain...a friend of ours moved from Chicago to Orange County in the early 90s. It was several years later, after some rain, that he even saw the mountains that surround Orange County!
Ok, a bit of an exaggeration. I will admit that we lived in OC for about 2 weeks before we knew about the mountains. That was in July of 1986. BIG drought and lots of smog. I almost opened a vein. I had moved there from Oahu.

Here is the area around the Highpointe Pool.
Attached Thumbnails
In Austin-Finally! And Query on Belterra-img_1445.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin