Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 01:15 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,424 times

Advertisements

Its been awhile but I was on this forum awhile ago. My wife and I live in the Bay Area of Cali and last year I was laid off. Since then I found a new job here and have been happily employed for almost a year so far. But... surprise-surprise just like 75% of those of us in our 30's whom live here, we want out- mainly for the same reasons as everyone else who moved to Austin from the coasts: The horrible cost of living where we live. That and virtually ALL of my family lives in the South ( I'm from there) so living closer would be better.

A little background on me: early 30's, work as a graphic designer, with 7 or 8 years of experience. Last year when I was laid off I began looking at jobs in Austin. I came close to getting a job but that fell through at the last minute. I have to be honest- the experience was sort of a wakeup call. Not only did there seem to be very FEW jobs in my field, but most were paying less than 50% of what I make... which is fine with me since for starters it costs a lot less to live there and we have also saved up a pretty good amount of cash for a future home anyway. But still- the average was like $40,000 or less. Basically there was not a lot of work that I could see in Austin, which was disappointing because everyone makes it out to be this great techy city with a vibrant economy. Then again- things were REALLY bad last year. Perhaps things are better now.We actually visited Austin a year and a half ago and really liked it. Very cool, laid back city.

So... its been a year since then. I'm just putting a feeler out there to see what the situation is there. Has the local Austin job market improved? Anyone having any luck? I'm just curious. I'm probably not going to be making any moves anytime soon. But I'd like to keep a finger on how things are there.

Also- what's the pricing situation in some of the "un-Mcmansiony" areas? As in South Austin? When we visited it was affordable in places but it had the feeling of turning into a gentrified neighborhood any second. $150,000 $200,000 is the MAX we would pay because taxes are high there. Is this still possible in areas that are somewhat reasonably close to the downtown? We have no kids nor plan on having any so think small, 2 bedroom type older houses... What about areas outside the city? Any older, more interesting, and again- not cookie cutter Mcmansion type areas that are still affordable? Yeah- I know virtually EVERY other young couple asks for the same things. But what the heck? Is it still possible to live in a neighborhood with character and not pay a fortune in Austin?

Anyway, thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 02:21 PM

24 posts, read 91,755 times
The job market is awful. I have a degree in computer science my fiance has a degree in business admin and we cannot even find jobs as waiters. Not so sure on the housing situation, but after living in 5 states and multiple cities I would say that Austin has the worst payscale vs. cost of living out of any city I've lived in. You hit the nail right on the head when you said that you would make 50% less here than anywhere else and you're right. I made more in Omaha freaking Nebraska than I would be starting out at here in Austin, add in Omaha's cheap cost of living and Austin is becoming less appealing. I know all these Austin fans will say, "yeah well they'd have to pay you more to live in Omaha" they need to keep in mind I also lived in Denver with a similar cost of living much better nightlife, MOUNTAINS, skiing, etc. All the while making 3 to 4 times what i would in Austin. Now I came to Austin with the promise of a job that was given away before i showed up. Now I am looking for something else, but in all honestly I'm probably moving back to Denver in a couple of months.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:27 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
I think the job market is about the same as last year. Certainly not noticeably better -- maybe a few new jobs but they were likely offset way more by all the job seekers moving.

You say you've got a job where you are at? I'd stay there for a little longer. You can always move in a few years if you still want to, I don't think home prices will change much, it's gonna be pretty flat for years.

But if you do end up here, $200K is probably doable in East or South Austin, if you stick with the 2BR thing and don't mind a fixer. 3BRs will cost a lot more, as that is usually what people here consider the minimum in a detached house.

Good luck whatever you decide. But IMO, the job market isn't going to seem any different than 1 yr ago.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:30 PM

I hear you on Denver. We were there a few months ago. My first time. I was actually really impressed with it. Loved the atmosphere, cleanliness, and scenic beauty. But... when I looked at the cost of housing it seemed like anything decent was kissing north of 300k... which is a bit more than I care to pay for a house and it also snows there. After living on the East Coast ( I'm a Southern boy) I have no interest in living where it snows again.

I've also been eyeing Nashville. Smaller city, pretty cool vibe, and quite a bit cheaper with low property taxes.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:32 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
I guess it depends on the specif job market, but most of my friends that where looking for jobs have now found them, at or around what they were making before and in the same general field. A specific friend in the 'skilled administration' area (no idea really what to call it) was trying to decide between several jobs that all paid over $50k/year. Our company has hired 11 people in the last 6 months (to bring us up to around 50 FTEs now), and we are still swamped.

That being said, the computer related industries have always had a glut of candidates in Austin .

Old 10-05-2010, 02:54 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,186,351 times
Frog Design just landed some big work and are desperate for designers. Call them. or call Aquent.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:02 PM

38 posts, read 53,487 times
I was just in town for some design/prepress interviews, seems as though this particular job market is relatively healthy in Austin.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:02 PM

Are they in Austin and do you actually know people there?

Old 10-05-2010, 03:21 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,186,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Are they in Austin and do you actually know people there?
Frog is in Austin -- I don't know any people there. Aquent has been heavily recruiting for them. You really should call Aquent and talk to a recruiter.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:06 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Its been awhile but I was on this forum awhile ago. My wife and I live in the Bay Area of Cali and last year I was laid off. Since then I found a new job here and have been happily employed for almost a year so far. But... surprise-surprise just like 75% of those of us in our 30's whom live here, we want out- mainly for the same reasons as everyone else who moved to Austin from the coasts: The horrible cost of living where we live. That and virtually ALL of my family lives in the South ( I'm from there) so living closer would be better.

A little background on me: early 30's, work as a graphic designer, with 7 or 8 years of experience. Last year when I was laid off I began looking at jobs in Austin. I came close to getting a job but that fell through at the last minute. I have to be honest- the experience was sort of a wakeup call. Not only did there seem to be very FEW jobs in my field, but most were paying less than 50% of what I make... which is fine with me since for starters it costs a lot less to live there and we have also saved up a pretty good amount of cash for a future home anyway. But still- the average was like $40,000 or less. Basically there was not a lot of work that I could see in Austin, which was disappointing because everyone makes it out to be this great techy city with a vibrant economy. Then again- things were REALLY bad last year. Perhaps things are better now.We actually visited Austin a year and a half ago and really liked it. Very cool, laid back city.

So... its been a year since then. I'm just putting a feeler out there to see what the situation is there. Has the local Austin job market improved? Anyone having any luck? I'm just curious. I'm probably not going to be making any moves anytime soon. But I'd like to keep a finger on how things are there.

Also- what's the pricing situation in some of the "un-Mcmansiony" areas? As in South Austin? When we visited it was affordable in places but it had the feeling of turning into a gentrified neighborhood any second. $150,000 $200,000 is the MAX we would pay because taxes are high there. Is this still possible in areas that are somewhat reasonably close to the downtown? We have no kids nor plan on having any so think small, 2 bedroom type older houses... What about areas outside the city? Any older, more interesting, and again- not cookie cutter Mcmansion type areas that are still affordable? Yeah- I know virtually EVERY other young couple asks for the same things. But what the heck? Is it still possible to live in a neighborhood with character and not pay a fortune in Austin?

Anyway, thanks for reading.
Take the advice ot the poster who said Omaha, and look for an city that is not teaming with lemmings looking for a "cool" place to live, according to the "Top 10 lists", whatever that is.....unless you enjoy competing in a down economy, in a city that never was known for many high-paying white collar jobs in best of times, also teaming with college grads willing to work for nothing......People have to be more creative than coming up with the same tired ideas about "Moving To Austin"....just reading too many puff pieces on the web and in mags....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin