Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:31 PM

30 posts, read 96,757 times

Advertisements

Okay, well, let me ask some specific questions then. We saw a lot of homes in the Crestview area that we thought were really cute (but tiny, we're okay with smaller 3/2 homes) and within our budget. But, I can't tell a thing about what the area is like from that. All I know is I like the older, remodeled homes in that area. What is the commute to downtown like from there? What is this area like? Safe? Schools? Pedestrian friendly?

Are there any other areas around Austin with similar style homes that have good schools, are walkable, and don't have too terrible of a commute. I can see I'm going to have to compromise somewhere. Our budget isn't an option and neither is being in a "great" school district (looking for a safe area with great academics, kind of subjective, I know).

Anyway, thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
So, actually....what is Austin? Just a bunch of rich folks who want to keep the riff-raff out?

I'm laughing because before we moved here I used to think we were going to find all that the OP was mentioning at 200k max, preferably 150k. LOL The minute someone showed me a teeny, tiny, little, itty, bitty "fixeruper" for about 400k I knew I was lookin in the wrong direction.

Thankfully, luckily, we're pretty happy where we set down. Family friendly, walkable for sure, (best sidewalks around) quiet, no complaints about the schools or the people there so far, (everyone I've met seems to care about what they're doing), all in all, not a bad deal!
Where did you end up settling?

Old 10-07-2010, 08:39 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,281,192 times
You might want to look around the 183 and Duval areas. It's got a good vibe, not too far from Austin, in your budget, and good schools- not fantastic, but good. The name of the neigborhood escapes me...senior moment.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Everyone forgot to add that it's near impossible to find teaching jobs in Austin without personal contacts so plan on being unemployed for a couple of years before you land a gig.
I have a degree in biology and will begin working on a Master of Education degree when we arrive. I will use these degrees to teach secondary science (I hope). I keep hearing that it's a little easier to get a job if you teach science or math because those teachers are in shorter supply. Do you think that will help any or do you think I'm still going to be S.O.L.? If so, why? If this is a legitimate problem we seriously need to consider this when choosing a location. This move has to work for both of us.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
You might want to look around the 183 and Duval areas. It's got a good vibe, not too far from Austin, in your budget, and good schools- not fantastic, but good. The name of the neigborhood escapes me...senior moment.
Oh, alrighty, thanks. Actually, does anyone know what the name of this neighborhood is? I'm unfamiliar with the area and it would help to know the name of the neighborhood. Thank so much.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:36 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,730,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroy3 View Post
Oh, alrighty, thanks. Actually, does anyone know what the name of this neighborhood is? I'm unfamiliar with the area and it would help to know the name of the neighborhood. Thank so much.
Talk about compromising already (smile), that area is not central, but considered NW Austin. Good neighborhoods with good schools in that area within your price range include:

Anderson Mill
Angus Valley
Balcones Woods
Canyon Creek
Champions Forest
Great Hills
Highland Hills
Mesa Park
Northwest Hills
Vista Ridge.

I hope this helps!

Old 10-07-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
Talk about compromising already (smile), that area is not central, but considered NW Austin. Good neighborhoods with good schools in that area within your price range include:

Anderson Mill
Angus Valley
Balcones Woods
Canyon Creek
Champions Forest
Great Hills
Highland Hills
Mesa Park
Northwest Hills
Vista Ridge.

I hope this helps!
Would you also consider Crestview to be in this area? Would you consider it a good place to bring a family?

Old 10-07-2010, 10:59 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,730,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroy3 View Post
Would you also consider Crestview to be in this area? Would you consider it a good place to bring a family?
No, Crestview is very Central.

NOTE: (Due to the past and existing class and racial divides in Austin) nearly every neighborhood in Central Austin proper has great neighborhoods and great schools, very few minorities (and I'm black).

I used to live in Brentwood, now I live in Highland. Great neighborhood, just N of the dead Highland Mall (which the city is planning to redevelop); the nearly forgotten last central 'hood where you can buy a nice-sized house just over 100k. However, schools track with Rutland/Rundberg (bad apts) to Webb Middle School and Lanier High School (both very bad); but the elementary's fine. [You'd need an AISD transfer waiver to McCallum High School (good school in Brentwood) - which you'd probably get.]

Good neighborhoods central (in addition to Crestview) in your price range would include:

Brentwood
Wooten
Highland [great neighborhood, schools just to elementary]
North Loop
(some parts) of Allendale [becoming more $$$]
(some parts) of Hancock [becoming more $$$]

Good luck!

PS

I just thought about the Skyview addition of Highland neighborhood which borders North Loop neighborhood to the N of Koenig Ln (Fm-2222), Highland Mall to the east, and the TX DPS hqs campus to the west. It's the southern-most part of Highland (not connected with the rest of the Highland neighborhood); and I believe Skyview tracks with North Loop through elementary to McCallum High School (all very good schools). Those homes would definitely be in your price range.

Last edited by ImOnFiya; 10-07-2010 at 11:44 PM..

Old 10-07-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
No, Crestview is very Central.

NOTE: (Due to the past and existing class and racial divides in Austin) nearly every neighborhood in Central Austin proper has great neighborhoods and great schools, very few minorities (and I'm black).

I used to live in Brentwood, now I live in Highland. Great neighborhood, just N of the dead Highland Mall (which the city is planning to redevelop); the nearly forgotten last central 'hood where you can buy a nice-sized house just over 100k. However, schools track with Rutland/Rundberg (bad apts) to Webb Middle School and Lanier High School (both very bad); but the elementary's fine. [You'd need an AISD transfer waiver to McCallum High School (good school in Brentwood) - which you'd probably get.]

Good neighborhoods central (in addition to Crestview) in your price range would include:

Brentwood
Wooten
Highland [great neighborhood, schools just to elementary]
North Loop
(some parts) of Allendale [becoming more $$$]
(some parts) of Hancock [becoming more $$$]

Good luck!

PS

I just thought about the Skyview addition of Highland neighborhood which borders North Loop neighborhood to the N of Koenig Ln (Fm-2222), Highland Mall to the east, and the TX DPS hqs campus to the west. It's the southern-most part of Highland (not connected with the rest of the Highland neighborhood); and I believe Skyview tracks with North Loop through elementary to McCallum High School (all very good schools). Those homes would definitely be in your price range.

Thanks. I will look at homes in some of those neighborhoods, atleast the ones that have good schools through high school. I prefer not to transfer, I would like my children to be able to ride a bus to school (or, is that still possible if you transfer?). I'm in shock over the price of real estate in Austin. It's definitely not what I was expecting. Anyway, thanks again.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:57 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,056,304 times
Why not transfer? Most kids are driven to school anyway, there is only bus service for kids who live more than 2 miles away from a school. Most of the elementary attendance zones are within a two mile radius, and a good chunk of most middle school kids are walking or being dropped off. The big academic magnet LASA draws kids from all over town and most of them rely on public buses. For regular transfers (not to a formal magnet) parents are responsible for transportation. But if one of you is working downtown, then Pease Elementary might be a possibility.

I like Crestview and Brentwood. Downtown is maybe 15 minutes away, no need to get on the highway. Are you working with a good realtor? Prices are not as high as they used to be, there are dozens and dozens of homes in 78704 (south central zip, maybe 5-10 minutes to downtown) below $399K.

Don't rule out French Place, Maplewood is a good elementary school and the HS is McCallum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin