Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 03:43 PM

170 posts, read 826,881 times

Advertisements

:ush::
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 05:09 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
/push

why exactly are we doing this now?

Old 10-08-2010, 06:02 PM

14 posts, read 34,346 times
Austin97. You make alot of really good points, and frankly its refreshing to get your point of view. Emotions aside, economically your facts are not open for argument. There is the emotion though, and it cannot be ignored. I want more time with my family, more security, and the idea of living in Texas is very appealing to me and dont ask me why. This is my dillema.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:27 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Have you been out here for a visit yet? Please come visit first. I love it and would say you cannot go wrong BUT you are not me so I cannot say with any certainty that you will love it the way I do.

There are plenty of people from CA that move here and love it, would never dream of going back, and then there are some that come on this board and kvetch as if some how they were sold a false bill of goods because it doesn't live up to their expectations. Those are the people that read the buzz, don't bother visiting, and then get here and find it's not a cheaper version of CA like they expected.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:11 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
I don't know about short sales, but selling one's home in California is pretty risky at this point. Be sure you know your market. And if you put it up for sale and leave, make sure you are not dependent on the income from selling it. Make sure you can live on your regular income indeffinitely. We have had our house in CA on the market for 8 months now with not one offer, and that is what our whole area is like. No one can get loans, so no sales.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:04 PM
F&N

24 posts, read 77,625 times
We were just on a month long road trip to CA visiting most our family in Auburn, Alameda, Vallejo, etc. I have to say I was pretty disgusted with CA. There was garbage all over the highways which were terribly torn up & in need of repair, gas & food prices were outrageous, you pay that 0.5 recycling charge on every soda/water bottle, gas is more expensive, 9.75% sales tax & I know y'all pay an income tax too! We make good money also & wondered how people afford it, don't think they are! We have lived in TX the past 3 yrs (Seattle area previously) & will die here, God willing! We LOVE it here & it is a wonderful place to raise kids! We're in Round Rock.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:50 PM

Thank you F&N!
Thats the kind of push I need.
It is disgusting, and yes our roads are a mess. Your question as to how anyone is affording it our here is, were NOT! They have taxed and price hiked us out of being able to afford it. And everytime we vote to change things they have one of there lib judges overturn it.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:44 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,454,403 times
Roseville? Folsom?

Definitely rent before considering a purchase in the Austin area.
Property taxes are high and you should consider how much they will cost you on a larger home.
Given your area of work, you might also consider San Antonio and its surrounding areas as a possible destination. Much larger population.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:01 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt149 View Post
Thank you F&N!
Thats the kind of push I need.
It is disgusting, and yes our roads are a mess. Your question as to how anyone is affording it our here is, were NOT! They have taxed and price hiked us out of being able to afford it. And everytime we vote to change things they have one of there lib judges overturn it.
Hmm..you're tired of liberal judges, but you want to move to an area known for its liberals ??

Previously, you've also said you don't know why you want to come here.

Excuse me, but that sounds a bit "California wacky". That mindset may not go well in straight shooting Texas. We're a bit 'no nonsense' here.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:52 AM

When I said that I did not know why I want to come there I was speaking metaphorically. As for liberalism, Im not sure you can even grasp the level of liberalism we encounter here in California. The level you encounter in Austin would be refreshing at the least. I have seen your posts before, and I wonder if you just comment to be critical of others or if your just a grumpy old tired man with nothing more to do. I happen to be dealing with a very real life changing decision right now and was looking for some positive feedback, not your sophmoric criticism. Come up with something helpfull to say, or dont say anything at all *******!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin