Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 06:18 PM

30 posts, read 67,483 times

Advertisements

Yes, I am unemployed and currently receiving weekly benefit payments. I am in my upper 50's and I am busting my butt to get a job.

My thread is pretty much trying to get info and feedback about folks who have exhausted their unemployment benefits. I am on my 40th week of unemployment benefits.
I will receive 4 more weeks and my current benefit period ends. I think I am in tier 2....hard to figure out what tiers are what and the correct terminology.

Hopefully, I will be employed before my benefits in this tier are exhausted.

But, if I am not able to get employed..........

I am seeking information about, how to I gain the extension of benefits from the State Of Texas Unemployment funds.

***Information from the state is very limited.
***How do you apply for these extended unemployment benefits?
***What are the requirements for the extended benefits?
***Does the state automatically apply these benefits, as they have done in the past?
Information about this is just not there from my research.
***I have confirmed that the benefits are available.
***I just cant find out how to get them or what the requirements are....
***When you get to the end of your benefits, it gets scarey and you want to make sure if you need the benefits, you know how to properly apply for them.
Employers seem to shy away from an elderly or midaged gentleman. My background is solid. Many will say, wow that is age descrimination. Age descrimination hiring practices are virtually impossible to prove. Just take a look at our government EEOC site. It states it right up front. Anyway, I have never filed a lawsuit in my life. Then again, I have never seen and experienced our economy like this. I have never struggled to put a meal on the table for my family. I have never had to ask for financial help from my family members. The industry that I was in was one of the first hit by our economic downturn. The good news is it will be one of the first to come back. Unfortunately, this industry has not even shown a flutter of improved hiring. Everybody is still in the cutback, lockdown, hiring freeze mode. Some of the positive signs about retail spending, home purchases are encouraging but ... not being felt in this industry.

Probably 10 years ago, I would have had a very unforgiveable view of someone that was unemployed for 40 weeks. I know many of you have that thought of...Hell, I know I could get a job..those people are just milking the system.

There is nothing I can do to change the outlook of the folks that have a merciless view of the unemployed. I can connect with how you feel. Their are legitimate problems in our economy that have caused this. Things have changed!

If you can help with the knowledge that many of us are seeking, it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 09:21 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handd4utexas View Post
Yes, I am unemployed and currently receiving weekly benefit payments. I am in my upper 50's and I am busting my butt to get a job.

Employers seem to shy away from an elderly or midaged gentleman. My background is solid. Many will say, wow that is age descrimination. Age descrimination hiring practices are virtually impossible to prove. Just take a look at our government EEOC site. It states it right up front. Anyway, I have never filed a lawsuit in my life. Then again, I have never seen and experienced our economy like this. I have never struggled to put a meal on the table for my family. I have never had to ask for financial help from my family members. The industry that I was in was one of the first hit by our economic downturn. The good news is it will be one of the first to come back. Unfortunately, this industry has not even shown a flutter of improved hiring. Everybody is still in the cutback, lockdown, hiring freeze mode. Some of the positive signs about retail spending, home purchases are encouraging but ... not being felt in this industry.

Probably 10 years ago, I would have had a very unforgiveable view of someone that was unemployed for 40 weeks. I know many of you have that thought of...Hell, I know I could get a job..those people are just milking the system.

There is nothing I can do to change the outlook of the folks that have a merciless view of the unemployed. I can connect with how you feel. Their are legitimate problems in our economy that have caused this. Things have changed!

If you can help with the knowledge that many of us are seeking, it would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry to hear about your situation. It's a good thing to inform and educate those who still make assumptions or judging others. Age discrimination is very real - sometimes the area feels like "Logan's Run".

It's surprising how many people believe that UI is some form of government "welfare". It's paid for by a tax imposed on employers and varies according to the amount of claims/layoffs from that company.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:03 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,460,702 times
Try getting a Census job and keep looking for work. When I was unemployed almost 10 years ago I took that route. If you get an interview you can adjust your hours to interview, if you don't have an interview, keep on working to put food on the table.

If you don't have too many expenses, grad school is possibly an option (like a low paid job).

Old 09-29-2009, 10:27 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times
Man I feel your pain. I'm 32, have been at 7 companies and have a huge array of skills. Prior to the recession it took me all of maybe 1-2 weeks to get another job and maybe a handful of resumes. To data I've submitted probably 400 resumes , and even applied for jobs in several other states. I'm applying not only for jobs I'm qualified for, but also those that I'm way overqualified for. So far I've had a handful of interviews and to date I might have 1 or 3 potentials, including one in Austin. But its nasty out there. So its not just the older workers having problems. I'm a young guy and I'm having issues as well.

I know this sounds degrading, but have you thought about getting a 9-5 job somewhere making say- $15 an hour or so? I'm not sure what your income requirements are, but it might hold you over until things turn around. I'm only on week no.5 for me. But come 6-7 months from now , if I still haven't found a job I am going to consider Joe Jobs.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 6,657 times
If you're already receiving benefits or if you exhausted all your extended benefits (Tier II) but there is still time left on your claim period, you don't have to do anything yet to get on the extended (extended) benefits. If you qualify, the state will send you a letter informing you that you may be eligible. You then either fill out a short form and send it back or better yet, call the toll free number they give and answer a few short questions and this will be all you have to do. They'll tell you when exactly to file your payment request and you do it exactly like you did before. Last time they extended, I got most of mine all in one payment, sort of like back pay.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:11 PM

7 posts, read 34,818 times
The last thread was correct I am in my last extension period and the bad thing about all that is you get whichever runs out first
my money always runs out before my time and it is sad that your time is longer usually than the amount of money you get.. I get the maximum amount you can get b/c I lost a high paying job and my money always runs out before the time I have been giving!!
The link below gives some hopeful info. for us as of Nov.1st

Jobless rate triggers unemployment benefits extension | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 11-20-2009, 07:06 PM

Default Thanks for your reply - Unemployment

[quote]Tx Unemployment Benefits - Emergency Extension after Year (((((((Yes, I am unemployed and currently receiving weekly benefit payments. I am in my upper 50's and I am busting my butt to get a job.

My thread is pretty much trying to get info and feedback about folks who have exhausted their unemployment benefits. I am on my 40th week of unemployment benefits.
I will receive 4 more weeks and my current benefit period ends. I think I am in tier 2....hard to figure out what tiers are what and the correct terminology.

I am seeking information about, how to I gain the extension of benefits from the State Of Texas Unemployment funds.

***Does the state automatically apply these benefits, as they have done in the past?
***When you get to the end of your benefits, it gets scarey and you want to make sure if you need the benefits, you know how to properly apply for them.[quote]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, just an update to my original post to this thread and thanks to to all of you for you input. I am hoping you have found suitable employment or at least enough income to keep your family comfortable or off the streets and not homeless. LilSlim, your link to the article ...I get a dead end link for me.

THE BENEFITS I HAD AT THE BEGINNING OF THIS THREAD WERE ABOUT TO RUN OUT AND I ONLY HAD ONE MORE CHECK COMING. I WAS DESPERATELY SEEKING INFO OF WHETHER I HAD ANY BENEFITS REMAINING, AND IF SO, HOW DID I GET THEM.
1. I WAS TRYING TO FIND OUT IF I HAD A CHANCE FOR ANY UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS OR EXTENSIONS, I WAS ON MY 40TH WEEK THE 44TH WAS THE END! HARD TO KEEP TRACK OF THE WEEKS BUT IT IS SOMEWHERE AROUND THERE.
2. I WAS TRYING TO FIND OUT ....IF I WAS ELIGIBLE FOR AN EXTENSION?..HOW DID I GET THEM?..FILL OUT A FORM?... CONTACT UNEMPLOYMENT AND REQUEST THE EXTENSION???...DID I GET MY EXTENSION AUTOMATICALLY?....
IF I DID NOT GET A JOB OR GET MY BENEFITS EXTENDED?...MY FAMILY WOULD BE HOMELESS!!! FOLKS...THIS AINT NO B.S. I AM TALKING EVICTION..NO MORE OUTSIDE FAMILY FINANCIAL HELP...ALL GOVT OR STATE BENEFITS EXHAUSTED, FOODSTAMPS ETC....I AM TALKING ON THE STREET!!!!!! I HAVE A VERY MODEST HOME AND OUR FAMILY BUDGET HAS BEEN TRIMMED DOWN TO 0 FAT!!!MY GOD, HOW MANY HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN PUSHED OUT INTO THE STREET? HOW MANY WERE LIKE ME ...WONDERING....SEEKING INFO....ANY INFO....HELP TO GET A JOB...HELP FOR ANY GOVT BENEFITS THAT WOULD HELP...HELP...HELP...HELP.

I WAS SEARCHING, SEARCHING, DIGGING TO FIND THE ANSWERS. TIME WAS RUNNING OUT.
I KNEW BY MY INTERNET RESEARCH THAT THE BENEFITS WERE THERE. I WAS JUST TRYING TO FIND OUT HOW TO GET TO THEM.
THE MOST FRUSTRATING PART OF MY SEARCH WAS WITH THE TX UNEMPLOYMENT WEBSITE!!!!
THE TX UNEMPLOYMENT WEBSITE GAVE LOADS OF INFO.....BUT THEY JUST SEEMED TO LEAVE OUT ANSWERS TO THE ABOVE QUESTIONS.
OK...THE NEXT STEP IS TO CALL TX UNEMPLOYMENT...YOU BETTER BE ON THE PHONE DIALING THERE NUMBER BY 7:30 AM WHEN THEY OPEN OR YOU WONT HAVE A CHANCE....GUESS WHAT...I WENT THROUGH 8 STRAIGHT DAYS OF DOING THIS BEFORE I FINALLY GOT THROUGH....
THE GIRL THAT I TALKED TO WAS TRYING HARD TO GIVE ME THE ANSWER, BUT SHE FINALLY JUST SAID "YOU WILL HAVE TO EXHAUST YOUR CURRENT ACCOUNT TO 0 DOLLARS, AND THEN CALL US BACK TO SEE IF YOU GET AN EXTENSION AND HOW TO PROCEED."

FOLKS I AM TRULY THANKFUL FOR THE BENEFITS I HAVE AND WHO WOULD BELIEVE THAT PEOPLE IN OUR COUNTRY...MILLIONS...WOULD BE ON THEIR 48TH WEEK OF UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS. I AM NOT PROUD OF WHERE I AM. I AM THANKFUL FOR THE HELP I HAVE RECEIVED WHERE I AM.

I DID GET ANOTHER UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFIT EXTENSION FOR 13 MORE WEEKS....THANK GOD!!!!!!
IT IS HARD FOR ME TO REMEMBER WHAT WEEK OF BENEFITS I AM CURRENTLY ON.....BUT IT IS SOMEWHERE AROUND 48 AND I HAVE ABOUT 11 WEEKS LEFT.

The media is saying things are looking better from the new jobs area. I am just not seeing. The are saying the Tx unemployment rate is somewhere around 8%. I really dont buy that. I am still seeing people and know people who have just lost their jobs. Things are flat and getting flatter. Scarey! The older and unemployed are getting pushed into a deeper hole. All I can do is get up in the morning and work harder and smarter at finding a job to support my family.

Anyway, hang in there...I have been around long enough to truly believe we are in a valley and we will be back on top of the mountain. This is just a long, deep valley and it will take some time. Not the best outlook for us that are on the brink of becoming homeless but I aint giving up! My lord keeps me strong.

Last edited by Handd4utexas; 11-20-2009 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: Update

Old 11-20-2009, 10:28 PM

[quote=Handd4utexas;11714187]
Quote:
Tx Unemployment Benefits - Emergency Extension after Year (((((((Yes, I am unemployed and currently receiving weekly benefit payments. I am in my upper 50's and I am busting my butt to get a job.

***When you get to the end of your benefits, it gets scarey and you want to make sure if you need the benefits, you know how to properly apply for them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, just an update to my original post of this thread and thanks to to all of you for you input. I am hoping you have found suitable employment or at least enough income to keep your family comfortable or off the streets and not homeless. LilSlim, your link to the article ...I get a dead end link for me. But thanks for the info on unemployment.

THE BENEFITS I HAD AT THE BEGINNING OF THIS THREAD WERE ABOUT TO RUN OUT AND I ONLY HAD 2 MORE CHECKS COMING. I WAS DESPERATELY SEEKING INFO OF WHETHER I HAD ANY BENEFITS REMAINING, AND IF SO, HOW DID I GET THEM.

1. I WAS TRYING TO FIND OUT IF I HAD A CHANCE FOR ANY UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS OR EXTENSIONS, I WAS ON MY 40TH WEEK THE 44TH WAS THE END! HARD TO KEEP TRACK OF THE WEEKS BUT IT IS SOMEWHERE AROUND THERE.
2. I WAS TRYING TO FIND OUT ....IF I WAS ELIGIBLE FOR AN EXTENSION?..HOW DID I GET THE EXTENSION?..FILL OUT A FORM?... CONTACT UNEMPLOYMENT AND REQUEST THE EXTENSION???...DID I GET MY EXTENSION AUTOMATICALLY?....

IF I DID NOT GET A JOB OR GET MY BENEFITS EXTENDED SOON?...MY FAMILY WOULD BE HOMELESS!!! FOLKS...THIS AINT NO B.S. I AM TALKING EVICTION..NO MORE OUTSIDE FAMILY FINANCIAL HELP...ALL GOVT OR STATE BENEFITS EXHAUSTED, FOODSTAMPS ETC....I AM TALKING ON THE STREET!!!!!! I HAVE A VERY MODEST HOME AND OUR FAMILY BUDGET HAS BEEN TRIMMED DOWN TO 0 FAT!!!
MY GOD, HOW MANY HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN PUSHED OUT INTO THE STREET THROUGH NO FAULT OF THERE OWN?
HOW MANY WERE LIKE ME ...WONDERING....SEEKING INFO....ANY INFO....HELP TO GET A JOB...HELP FOR ANY GOVT BENEFITS THAT WOULD HELP...HELP...HELP...HELP.
DID I SAY HELP? SOMETHING TOTALLY FOREIGN TO ME.
NEVER IN MY LIFE HAVE I HAD TO ASK FOR FINANCIAL HELP FROM ANYONE, ESPECIALLY THE GOVT. I WAS ONE WHO LOOKED AT PEOPLE WITHOUT A JOB, AS DEADBEATS.. I WAS THE ONE WHO HAD NEVER ASKED A FAMILY MEMBER FOR A PENNY. TO ME, THAT WAS TOTAL FAILURE AS A HUMAN BEING. IT WAS A SIGN OF WEAKNESS..I HAVE BEEN BROUGHT TO MY KNEES IN ALL AREAS OF PRIDE.

I WAS SEARCHING, SEARCHING, DIGGING TO FIND THE ANSWERS. TIME WAS RUNNING OUT.
I KNEW BY MY INTERNET RESEARCH THAT THE BENEFITS WERE THERE. I WAS JUST TRYING TO FIND OUT HOW TO GET TO THEM.

THE MOST FRUSTRATING PART OF MY SEARCH WAS WITH THE TX UNEMPLOYMENT WEBSITE!!!!

THE TX UNEMPLOYMENT WEBSITE GAVE LOADS OF INFO.....BUT THEY JUST SEEMED TO LEAVE OUT ANSWERS TO THE ABOVE QUESTIONS.
OK...THE NEXT STEP IS TO CALL TX UNEMPLOYMENT...YOU BETTER BE ON THE PHONE DIALING THERE NUMBER BY 7:30 AM WHEN THEY OPEN OR YOU WONT HAVE A CHANCE....GUESS WHAT...I WENT THROUGH 8 STRAIGHT DAYS OF DOING THIS BEFORE I FINALLY GOT THROUGH. THESE PEOPLE ARE TOTALLY OVERWHELMED.
THE GIRL THAT I TALKED TO WAS TRYING HARD TO GIVE ME THE ANSWERS, BUT SHE FINALLY JUST SAID "YOU WILL HAVE TO EXHAUST YOUR CURRENT ACCOUNT TO 0 DOLLARS, AND THEN CALL US BACK TO SEE IF YOU GET AN EXTENSION AND HOW TO PROCEED." I KNEW THAT ANY DELAY OR PAUSE OF MY UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFIT INCOME WOULD BE DEVASTATING.

FOLKS I AM TRULY THANKFUL FOR THE BENEFITS I HAVE AND WHO WOULD BELIEVE THAT PEOPLE IN OUR COUNTRY...MILLIONS...WOULD BE ON THEIR 48TH WEEK OF UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS. I AM NOT PROUD OF WHERE I AM. I AM THANKFUL FOR THE HELP I HAVE RECEIVED WHERE I AM.

I DID GET ANOTHER UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFIT EXTENSION FOR 13 MORE WEEKS....THANK GOD!!!!!!
IT IS HARD FOR ME TO REMEMBER WHAT WEEK OF BENEFITS I AM CURRENTLY ON.....BUT IT IS SOMEWHERE AROUND 48 AND I HAVE ABOUT 11 WEEKS LEFT.

The media is saying things are looking better from the new jobs area. I am just not seeing IT. The are saying the Tx unemployment rate is somewhere around 8%. I really dont buy that. I am still seeing people and know people who have just lost their jobs. Things are flat and getting flatter. Scarey! The older and unemployed are getting pushed into a deeper hole. All I can do is get up in the morning and work harder and smarter at finding a job to support my family.

Anyway, hang in there...I have been around long enough to know and truly believe we are in a valley and we will be back on top of the mountain. This is just a long, deep valley and it will take some time. Not the best outlook for us that are on the brink of becoming homeless but I aint giving up! My lord keeps me strong.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:14 AM

7 posts, read 34,818 times
sorry it was a dead link.. I was just refering to an article in houston chronic. that unempl. hit 8% and as long as it is there we get unempl. benefits b/c it is so high.. They review again on Jan2nd to see if it will extend some more..
By then Obama should have signed the unempl. bill but you can check the status of that on open congress website.. tells you what the bills contain and where they are at in being passed

Old 09-30-2010, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,740 times
Hi, I mean not to be inopportune but this economic crisis and without a solid solution puts a lot of stress on everybody. I am doing a short film project regarding this matter and I find that your situations are not meant to be disregarded. I would love to hear more about them, if you cared to share. If you would be interested in sharing please contact me [email]fliegemaster@gmail.com[/email] and I can tell you more details about this project. Thank you very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: