Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 07:10 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,856 times

Advertisements

I'd definitely say Nashville is more "off the radar" than Austin by a long shot. Its actually a very cute little city and they've done a great job with the downtown areas. I could probably find a job a little easier there. I recall briefly trying my hand at applying to a few graphic design positions and getting 2 or 3 calls back almost immediately: They actually had a hard time finding designers that were any good... which is astounding given Nashville is a huge entertainment hub.

Being off the radar might also mean its a tad more 'authentic' and probably a bit more Southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 07:34 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,869 times
I have spent a good amount of time in central Austin and found most people to be unfriendly and extremely arrogant about a city that has little if anything to offer overall. (compared to other similar size cities) Most people in Austin don't want to hear about any other city and certainly don't want to hear that their fair city will ALWAYS be fourth most important in the state.

Most (not all) people in Austin aren't concerned with any facts of how their city compares to others. They only believe that Austin is #1 and don't care about anything anyone else says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
Okay, I just realized that you don't actually live in Austin. That might explain a lot. Unless you spend a copious amount of time in the city (and most people from the outlying towns only come here a couple of times a month), how can you know what living in Austin is like or what Austinites are really like --??

Old 10-20-2010, 08:57 PM

73 posts, read 148,116 times
I've never been to Nashville and can't say anything about it, but I feel inclined to offer you a litmus test:

How do you feel about living in a "cool" or "hip" city? Or living in a city with cool, hip people, or at least people who value things that (they believe) are cool/hip? Does this make you roll your eyes, or does it intrigue you?

I suspect that this will be one of the biggest cultural differences between Austin and Nashville, and your personal hipster tolerance will determine which one is best for you.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:05 PM

4 posts, read 10,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammonman View Post
I've never been to Nashville and can't say anything about it, but I feel inclined to offer you a litmus test:

How do you feel about living in a "cool" or "hip" city? Or living in a city with cool, hip people, or at least people who value things that (they believe) are cool/hip? Does this make you roll your eyes, or does it intrigue you?

I suspect that this will be one of the biggest cultural differences between Austin and Nashville, and your personal hipster tolerance will determine which one is best for you.

Yeah... I'm not too interested in hipsters. I'm planning a trip down to Nashville because it seems like a better fit for me. And I'm not interested in California. A bit too expensive, and a lot of my family has lived out there. so I've seen everything from LA to San Francisco to Mammoth, Mammoth is by far my favorite, but I think just to visit, or maybe when I'm a bit older.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:10 PM

73 posts, read 148,116 times
As someone who truly loves Austin from the bottom of my heart, it seems like Nashville might be a better fit for you, and I think you already suspect this. Isn't this the best part of living in America? So much to choose from! Best of luck to you, and at least come by and visit us sometime in Austin!

Old 10-21-2010, 04:06 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I'd definitely say Nashville is more "off the radar" than Austin by a long shot. Its actually a very cute little city and they've done a great job with the downtown areas. I could probably find a job a little easier there. I recall briefly trying my hand at applying to a few graphic design positions and getting 2 or 3 calls back almost immediately: They actually had a hard time finding designers that were any good... which is astounding given Nashville is a huge entertainment hub.

Being off the radar might also mean its a tad more 'authentic' and probably a bit more Southern.
Try a whole bunch more southern...not many californians have IT on there radar, at least not yet!

Old 10-21-2010, 06:46 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,869 times
If people are going to judge a city "solely" on how the media portrays it, then that is really sad. Isn't that kinda like, "you can't judge a book by it's cover??"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammonman View Post

Old 10-21-2010, 09:19 AM

If you do wind up in Nashville, The other TN cities are actually pretty interesting too. A hidden gem is Chattanooga. Its small and on the river like all the other cities. It has a really nice art museum- called the Hunter Museum of American Art. Another small city that I liked when I lived there was Johnson City, which is in the mountains. Knoxville is nice too.

Perhaps the biggest difference between TN and TX is that there are simply not that many people in TN compared to TX. Like mentioned before, the bulk of the area is rural. The cities are small. Memphis is the largest city at around a million people.

Anyway, good luck with your choice.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:17 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
If you do wind up in Nashville, The other TN cities are actually pretty interesting too. A hidden gem is Chattanooga. Its small and on the river like all the other cities. It has a really nice art museum- called the Hunter Museum of American Art. Another small city that I liked when I lived there was Johnson City, which is in the mountains. Knoxville is nice too.

Perhaps the biggest difference between TN and TX is that there are simply not that many people in TN compared to TX. Like mentioned before, the bulk of the area is rural. The cities are small. Memphis is the largest city at around a million people.

Anyway, good luck with your choice.
Tennessee is a very beautiful state, and prob the MOST musical, just by virtue of not just Nashville, the third major recording cap in the US, but memphis, its' blues heritage, the Sun records thing, and Elvis(and even muscle shoules recording studio is just south of mem in alabama....and Im sure far fewer relos are competing with each other for jobs there, compared to Texas...

Old 10-21-2010, 10:46 AM

Memphis is cool ( my Aunt lives in a pretty artsy neighborhood) but its also got a serious crime problem. It reminds me more of a rust belt city that somehow wound up in the South versus a Southern city. I'd have no problems living there but only because my Aunt does and could show me where and where not to go or live. She likes it but her car has gotten stolen like 5 times. Guess she's used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin