U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-04-2007, 07:34 PM

16 posts, read 59,179 times

Advertisements

Hi All (Happy 4th of July)

I am just wondering, what is the most expensive neighborhood in Austin proper? From just searching the board, seems like West Austin/Westlake fits that bill.

Thanks
B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 07:57 PM

337 posts, read 967,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigette View Post

I am just wondering, what is the most expensive neighborhood in Austin proper? From just searching the board, seems like West Austin/Westlake fits that bill.

Thanks
B.
I would go with the 78746 neighborhood. One guy has a hill all to himself on 3400 Toro Canyon Rd , with a bunch of peasants living in his runoff in 1+ million dollar homes. Go to zillow and put 3400 Toro Canyon Rd in the address field with the zip code 78746, you can see an aerial. You thought you had property tax issues

Last edited by Zzyzx; 07-04-2007 at 08:20 PM..

Old 07-04-2007, 08:17 PM

8,241 posts, read 10,441,355 times
I think 78746 (Westlake) and 78703, Tarrytown/Pemberton running a close second.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 27,685 times
Default Most expensive neighborhood in Austin

First, let me clarify that Onion Creek, Lost Creek, Barton Creek and some other cities mentioned are not cities; they are subdivisions. Lost Creek is in Travis County, is in the Westlake area, and is not in Austin. Lost Creek has its own water utility to which we pay mud taxes. We are also in the Eanes School District - the Best. We pay EISD taxes and Travis County Taxes. Westlake Hills is a tiny little city just across Lake Austin from Austin. Lost Creek is a mile or less (5 minutes with stoplights) from the Westlake Hills City limits (which may include Westlake High School). The city of Austin crowds up on Westlake Hills from the West, and parts of it are actually in the Eanes School District. Lost Creek is moderate to expensive; 3000 plus homes and only 7 on the market in February; some of those seven were under contract. People love it because it is hilly, out in the country, out of Austin, and in EISD. Barton Creek subdivision is in Austin, and in Austin Independent School District. You can reach it by following Lost Creek Boulevard (main road cutting through Lost Creek) off of loop 360 through Lost Creek and up, over and around some hills until you reach Barton Creek. By traveling this route, it is about 1 1/2 minutes from my house (and my taxes are less! ) Or, you can reach it by taking exiting off of Bee Caves Road. It is hard for me to figure out how all these areas in Westlake (an area) fit on a map; I just know the roads, not the direction I am traveling.
Barton Creek has a range of high end prices from $600,000 (Lost Creek has this price) up to 10,000 square feet plus. Like Lost Creek, there are a lot of views. Lost Creek is covered in large trees, though when we moved in in late 70's, it looked like cement city when driving down the boulevard; watering lawns makes the trees grown. Barton Creek has newer areas that need some watering. Another good area in Westlake is Sundown Parkway (older like Lost Creek). It is either in Westlake Hills or a few seconds from it. There are lots of great areas in Westlake, some of which I know nothing about.
The most expensive area in and around downtown Austin is probably Terrytown (an area). It has large old homes. Lots of hugh trees.
Rob Roy and Davenport are a mix of upper end homes and higher upper end homes and are newer than Lost Creek. In my opinion, it is not worth paying the premium for most people to live in Barton Creek when you can find the simular for less in Rob Roy, Davenport, and Lost Creek without paying Austin Taxes, and without sending your kids to the Austin School District.

I have two children living in Circle C. One of them has a new home at perhaps 30 to 40 percent off the value of my home and it has 800 more square feet. It is in Austin and its school district. It is also a small, flat lot with no trees. The houses are really close (it seems 20 feet at most). My corner lot is hillywith the back yard above the house. It has tons of trees and houses are a good distance away (trick or treaters don't like to trick or treat us because of the up and down distances.

Just for the information on clubs, Barton Creek has Barton Creek Country Club (golf, tennis, social). Lost Creek has Lost Creek Country Club (golf, tennis, social). Davenport has Austin Country Club (golf, tennis, social). Terrytown is near Westwood Country Club (tennis, social). This is not to say the subdivisions own the clubs; the clubs are just located near or in these subdivisions.

Maybe not totally factually accurate, but close.

A long answer - hope it helps. RE

Old 07-05-2007, 12:46 AM

383 posts, read 1,051,019 times
Quote:

Thanks
B.

Land residing within the strict boundaries of Westlake Hills would probably be a close second but it is not inside the city of Austin.

Assuming your use of the term "proper" means strictly within the the city of Austin; then West Austin is correct.

The price per acre in 78703 - Pemberton Heights/Old Enfield, Tarrytown/Old West Austin/Clarksville, Brykerwoods (more or less in that order) - is going to be the most expensive in the "proper" and very probably outside of it as well.

There are metro area neighborhoods (Spanish Oaks or Rob Roy come to mind) that might currently have relatively newer homes priced higher on average than the entire average of the older 78703 housing stock (true teardowns averaged with estates) but if you were to take a set of plans and build the exact home on the exact same size lot, the West Austin property will almost always be more valuable.

The Dell Compound on Torro Canyon would be no exception. Put that house on a similar sized lot in 78703, and I believe it would be even more valuable than it already is.

-Biscuits

Old 07-06-2007, 04:46 PM

4,025 posts, read 6,237,591 times
Quote:

Thanks
B.
Downtown is probably the most expensive or any waterfront properties. Downtown is running 300+ per sq foot. I think that beats westlake.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:58 AM

383 posts, read 1,051,019 times
I'd love to hear some MLS data if a Realtor is listening. I'll stick to my claim that new construction in Pemberton Heights is going to be more expensive (per square foot) than new or old residential construction downtown.

Taking in to consideration that downtown condos seem to be being over-built (IMHO), I don't forsee a day when said condos will ever surpass the value of the 78703 neighborhoods.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:28 PM

364 posts, read 1,299,985 times
I used to live in Austin and the Tarrytown area is my favorite part of town. We have friends living there and they love it. It's expensive but the location can't be beat - it's beautiful and close to everything. When our friends bought their house in Tarrytown a number of years ago, they thought about tearing it down but couldn't bring themselves to do it since they appreciated the character of the older home. So they added out the back and put a second floor above it all with all new bedrooms, bathrooms and big closets (all were tiny in the original house) and essentially ended up with a new house. I'd bet that thing's worth over a million bucks now.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:00 PM

114 posts, read 362,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzyzx View Post
I would go with the 78746 neighborhood. One guy has a hill all to himself on 3400 Toro Canyon Rd , with a bunch of peasants living in his runoff in 1+ million dollar homes. Go to zillow and put 3400 Toro Canyon Rd in the address field with the zip code 78746, you can see an aerial. You thought you had property tax issues

Micheal Dell's house? I've always wanted to go up there, I think he has his own lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin