Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2010, 05:35 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,270 times

Advertisements

Are these schools in the same area? I thought SGS was out Bee Caves and SAS was in Central Austin?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 08:33 PM

319 posts, read 737,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled Texan View Post
Are these schools in the same area? I thought SGS was out Bee Caves and SAS was in Central Austin?
From our research, they seem to be fairly equal distance from West Lake Hills, where we are buying...

Old 10-24-2010, 10:07 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious1111 View Post
From our research, they seem to be fairly equal distance from West Lake Hills, where we are buying...
They may be comparable mileage wise, but traffic wise is an entirely differently issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakely View Post
They are both good schools with different strengths and opportunities. I think both schools have a strong sense of community. Have you taken the opportunity to have your children shadow? Part of your decision may really just come down to finding the right fit for your family and your children.

My only "advice" would be to buy in a neighborhood with a good public school option in the event that the school you choose is not the right fit for one of your kids in the long run.
I definitely agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I would pick SAS based on the curriculum, class size, daily chapel, strong comittment to diversity, athletics that are in balance with academics, community service and location. In general, Episcopals are more tolerant of religious differences than other Christian faiths.
Again, I agree with this as well. Academically you will be providing your kids with one of the best educations available in Austin, but I think SA wins out when you consider other factors as a non-Catholic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious1111 View Post
- Our understanding is the St. Andrew's has students that are Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, etc. While we understand that St. Gabriel's is primarly Catholic. We are not really hung up on this point either direction.

Most interested in perspectives about academics and reputation. Found the commentary about strength of faculty at Elementary level helpful, smaller class size commentary, etc. Please keep that coming. We will probably be in Westlake, so doubt that the commute/drive is much of an issue either way.

They are both part of the ISAS organization. Thinking that ISAS offers a fairly high standard. I think the only other ISAS school in Austin is St. Stephens (?) What are the KEY differences in the school curriculum/extra curriculars...putting the religous and location issues aside? What else makes the culture different between the schools?
I don't want to belabor this point, but I have personal experience with this. I am not Catholic but attended Catholic prep schools because they were considered the best in the area where I grew up (not Austin.) Although no one ever pushed the religion on me and I never once felt judged, as a non-member in a primarily Catholic environment, there were many subtle ways where I felt left out. There are social experiences, milestones and even in-school activities your children won't participate in, and that will make even the most self-confident kid feel a bit out of sorts. When it comes down to it, your children are the ones who are going to be dealing with it on a daily basis. As adults, it's very easy to believe you won't be hung up on the religious aspect in theory, but when you're one of only a few kids walking around without ashes on your forehead on Ash Wednesday, it's a totally different experience. I do not regret the time I spent at the schools I attended at all, and I received a top notch eduction. But again I can't stress enough that your kids are going to face some cultural issues.

These are two great schools, and no matter which one you chose your children will have the opportunity to receive a top notch education. It isn't a matter of "best" because they are fairly comparable. It's a matter of "best for your children."

Old 10-25-2010, 05:58 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,098,988 times
If you want a school with more of the "feel" of St. Gabriels but non-Catholic, try Trinity. Very convenient location right in Westlake too. It has the uniforms and some of the "rigidity" (trying to think another way to put it but I haven't had coffee yet) of St. G but is Episcopal.
Trinity Episcopal School

Old 10-25-2010, 06:23 AM

I must have written something here to indicate that we don't want to go to Catholic school. That was unintended. The children are in fact baptized Catholics. However, I would say that our family identifies most with our Christianity, and would be very comfortable in a non-Catholic environment. As I mentioned in the first post, we went through many visits, research, etc. to arrive at these two options. Really just trying to judge acamdemics/reputation between the two. I think that we have heard a resounding opinion that SAS has the leg up on this. Not sure how representative this sample is, but we asked the question here and feel that we got some great answers. THANK YOU!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:00 PM

Any point of view on likelihood for admissions to these two schools for elementary school? Which is more selective/difficult to get into? Or are they about the same in that regard? Probably putting in applications to both, just curious reputation for selectivity in admissions between the two...

Old 11-03-2010, 07:08 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,098,988 times
SAS for elementary will be more selective. Just 54 slots for 1st grade (no K) and there is testing. I know many people whose children applied for admission at St. Andrews at the elementary and middle school level and who were denied. Never heard of it happening at St. G (of course, I know many fewer people at St. G.).

And I have been told (by a SAS parent who should know) that all SAS middle school students have to apply and be accepted by the high school. Admission to first grade is not a guarantee of 11 more years of schooling.

Also, just as a general matter, over the past five years as Austin has grown tremendously there is more demand for slots at all established private schools. The tougher economy has no impact, nearly every private school has many more applicants for admission now then they did 3-5 years ago. This includes St. G and St. Michael's too!

good luck!
(FWIW, my kids attend an Austin private school but not SAS or St. G)

Old 11-03-2010, 07:14 PM

thanks! 54 seems like a lot!

From downloading admissions materials, their application processes look identical. Both test. Both required teacher recs, etc. We were thinking that SAS might be easier because they let such a large class in for 1st grade. Since SG starts in preschool, our thought is that with not many dropouts, add in siblings, etc., they probably have less openings in elementary...(?)

Old 11-03-2010, 07:56 PM

743 posts, read 1,371,648 times
They both test. While they are competitive, I don't think it is overwhelmingly difficult to get into either school (based on both personal and friends' experience...let's just say it's not comparable to NYC private school admissions ) and it does seem that more spots have opened in the past couple of years due to the economy and other factors. The younger years may be the most difficult. By high school, several families choose public and slots open up again (plus the class size gets bigger).

Just depends on the grade and the # of openings, but I wouldn't stress too much about it. If you are flexible and the grade is full for next year, there might always be openings the year after. I know a few families who have gone that path as well.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:21 PM

67 posts, read 131,350 times
We would like to try to enroll our daughter into pre-k at St Gabe's next year (2011-12 school year). Is it too late? I'm curious what the waiting list is like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: