Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:52 PM

474 posts, read 905,324 times

Advertisements

MM57553 said:

Here's what I also don't like:
- No delis (or at least no good ones)

OK

- Whole city shuts down at 1am (or 2 on weekends)

Hmmm. Are you out this late a lot?

- Not walkable

Some of it is. But we're not dense enough for LOTS to be walkable. But I am one of those hated people that don't want to live in town. So I don't care much.

- Lack of good museums (Yes, we have some. But they are far from great museums)

Yup. I'll go somewhere when I want a great museum.

- The heat

Better than cold for me.

- The bugs

Some people are such wimps.

- Not much to do. And before someone mentions Zilker Park, let me point out that most cities the size of Austin (or smaller) have parks just like it. It's not unique to Austin.

I wouldn't have answered Zilker to a question about "what to do?" You don't like lakes, cycling, running, music festivals, etc.?

- Landlocked

Nothing we can do about that. Kinda true about most of the US. But we have a very nice river going through town and some great lakes around us.

- Lack of big music shows / tours. Funny how I have to drive to San Antonio or Houston to see so many big concerts that don't pass through the "Live Music Capital."

Bruce Springsteen, Elton John, etc. have been through Austin. So have some famous acts that target teens. Lady Gaga is coming next spring. What exactly do you want? Steppenwolf? The Rolling Stones? The biggest acts will go to bigger cities because they have bigger venues and more $$ potential. San Antonio has always been a big attraction to rock acts. ACL has had Muse, Dave Matthews, etc. very recently. Just last week we had Stone Temple Pilots at the Backyard.

- No good bagel shops

OK

Last edited by jazznblues; 11-03-2010 at 01:01 PM..

Old 11-03-2010, 01:24 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times
I love how people from places like NYC and NJ complain about "-oh boo-hoo, there's no Bagel or Pizza shops!" Just remember- you folks left NYC and NJ because they suck and are expensive places to live. Sure, perhaps there's no bagels ( which honestly I've never understood what the big deal is about tough bread shaped like donuts anyway) but there IS some kick-ass BBQ that you're not going to find in NYC anyway. Personally, I'll take BBQ over bagels anyday. Different places have different food and customs. Enjoy them.

As far as museums, well I visited the Texas museum downtown and thought it was great. Check it out.

In regards to having things to do, well be creative. Honestly, I'm perfectly happy being at home all day working out in the yard, or fixing things in the garage and so on.

As far as being Landlocked, well that to me is yet this other thing people put a big emphasis on that makes zero sense to me. Sure- I live near the ocean too. But guess what? The water is 55 degrees year-round, I'm too poor to own a boat, and I certainly don't surf or scuba either. In other words it doesn't matter that I live near the water: Its worthless. So unless you live in say- Hawaii or Miami, you're not really missing much. If you want water, there's some BIG lakes near Austin. I grew up near some big lakes myself and to me they were way more fun than the ocean. Nothing like sitting in a innertube in the lake drinking beer when its 95 degrees.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:15 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I just said Miami was built for Hispanics and white Anglos to co-exist in harmony. You validated what I just said in that not every city is built exclusively for whites alone.

New Orleans is another multi-cultural city. Although it does have its problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Really? Miami was built for white people? what happened?

Old 11-03-2010, 02:19 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I liked Lake Travis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I grew up near some big lakes myself and to me they were way more fun than the ocean. Nothing like sitting in a innertube in the lake drinking beer when its 95 degrees.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:29 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
SCongress1234?
Yep.......been off and on here so long...just amazing we have been able to maintain interest on here, without any business interests like the real estate agents..I know a few regular RE agents on here are making some bucks from relos....but, I guess, what else would we be doing on the web?
The web is just what TV was back when, with perhaps a little more input..
still mostly a way to kill time..lets call it interactive TV

Old 11-03-2010, 03:35 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
MM57553 said:

Here's what I also don't like:
- No delis (or at least no good ones)

OK

- Whole city shuts down at 1am (or 2 on weekends)

Hmmm. Are you out this late a lot?

- Not walkable

Some of it is. But we're not dense enough for LOTS to be walkable. But I am one of those hated people that don't want to live in town. So I don't care much.

- Lack of good museums (Yes, we have some. But they are far from great museums)

Yup. I'll go somewhere when I want a great museum.

- The heat

Better than cold for me.

- The bugs

Some people are such wimps.

- Not much to do. And before someone mentions Zilker Park, let me point out that most cities the size of Austin (or smaller) have parks just like it. It's not unique to Austin.

I wouldn't have answered Zilker to a question about "what to do?" You don't like lakes, cycling, running, music festivals, etc.?

- Landlocked

Nothing we can do about that. Kinda true about most of the US. But we have a very nice river going through town and some great lakes around us.

- Lack of big music shows / tours. Funny how I have to drive to San Antonio or Houston to see so many big concerts that don't pass through the "Live Music Capital."

Bruce Springsteen, Elton John, etc. have been through Austin. So have some famous acts that target teens. Lady Gaga is coming next spring. What exactly do you want? Steppenwolf? The Rolling Stones? The biggest acts will go to bigger cities because they have bigger venues and more $$ potential. San Antonio has always been a big attraction to rock acts. ACL has had Muse, Dave Matthews, etc. very recently. Just last week we had Stone Temple Pilots at the Backyard.

- No good bagel shops

OK
But how many city parks have a choo choo train running through it? Or a spring fed pool that is world famous? Zilker is def one of the cooler city parks...But indeed, all large cities have parks...the newer cities in the sunbelt not so much though...the older and more established the cities, the larger the parks..hence golden gate park(SF), Grant and Lincoln(Chicago), Central(NYC), and on and on..

Old 11-03-2010, 04:29 PM

474 posts, read 905,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
But how many city parks have a choo choo train running through it? Or a spring fed pool that is world famous? Zilker is def one of the cooler city parks...But indeed, all large cities have parks...the newer cities in the sunbelt not so much though...the older and more established the cities, the larger the parks..hence golden gate park(SF), Grant and Lincoln(Chicago), Central(NYC), and on and on..
I agree that Zilker is a pretty cool park. It has a great pool, some terrific fields, and it hosts ACL. My family has ridden the train and thrown frisbees there. Golden Gate park in San Francisco is another memorable park. I'm sure lots of good parks can be found all over the country.

I just thought it was odd that mm57533 thought someone might say Zilker Park if they were asked "what is there to do in Austin?" I don't think Zilker would make my top 10 list, though it might make my top 25. My answer would depend on who was asking.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:36 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,771,609 times
There are many things to dislike about Austin and many things to like. Ditto for everywhere else I have ever lived.

Dislikes: Allergies, restricted culinary options - zero decent "whit(e)ish ethnic food - no good Italian, Greek, Middle-Eastern, East European food, minimal decent Asian food with the exception of Vietnamese and so on, and my absolute worst - no edible bread, though very good tortillas. Mostly architecturally grotesque housing, no early twentieth century apartment buildings, some of the worst suburban sprawl in the world. No art museums, worthy of the name, though the Blanton tries. Generally crappy high culture amenities. Long and hot summer, but I prefer that to a long and cold winter. Bad soil for gardening west of 35. Friendly but often smug and insular people . . .

Live Oaks and Pecan Trees, Barton Springs, Hamilton Pool and the Barton Creek Greenbelt. The spa at the Crossings. Great bars - 78701 is the zipcode with the greatest number of drinking establishments in the country, and even better Happy Hour specials. You can eat like a king in Austin for practically free as long as you are not looking for the kinds of food mentioned above, and drink the best $5 cocktail in the world at any of 20 establishments, Peche, Fino, East Side Showroom, Good Knight, Annie's to name a few. Best BBQ in the world. Unbelievably spectacular food cart scene, Odd Duck, Franklin's, East Side King's, Senegalese place on Rainey Street whose name escapes me. Best fresh produce i have ever seen at WF, CM and any number of farmer's markets. Great live music scene as long as you are interested in music that has not hit the big-time yet - much more interesting to me than seeing some tired old band playing their greatest hits. There is Houston, Dallas and San Antonio for that. Best LGBTQ rock 'n roll scene outside of Brooklyn, and for an eighth of the price. 7 hour drive to Monterrey, less than 2 hours flying to Mexico City. East Austin hipsterdom, grackels, a blue norther, the fact that you can keep chickens in the city limits, great thunderstorms, South Austin Museum of Popular Culture, and so on.

Nowhere is perfect. Austin lacks a lot, has a lot. I love living here, but do need to get the hell out every few months to a real city - NY, Chicago, L.A. , D.F., London, Sydney, but I am always very happy to come home.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:15 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
homeinatx, have you tried Baquettes et Chocolat for bread? Truly wonderful French bread. Or Phoenicia? Also, have you tried Asia Cafe? May or may not come up to your standards, but I thought I'd throw them out there just in case you'd missed them - I only discovered Baquettes et Chocolat last month, and Asia Cafe a few months ago.

As for no early twentieth century apartment buildings (I'm thinking this is a regional thing), that would mainly be because we didn't need them, people lived in HOUSES for the most part. (Amazing concept, apparently.)

Old 11-04-2010, 09:29 AM

185 posts, read 463,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitViper View Post
As a person of color whos considering moving to Austin (Which I love the city)

1. ArtsGuy/Adam131..... every US city is built for white pople :-D they, built them LOL....
2. Im imaging people move to Austin forgetting the most important thing... 20 miles outside of Austin... ITS TEXAS! The whole state is full of country folks its ok... people forget the details..
3. Night life is supposed to be crowed.. thats what makes it fun

I have no illusions about what Im getting into moving here.. but then Im the sort of fellow who just makes it a point to just get along..... besides... I love BBQ
very well said.....i'm a chicano dude....i moved here like 3 months ago....lived here before also......i live on the outskirts really, in the country...........................and yea, Austin does have a lot of progressive collegy type cool cat hippie kind of guys with big holes in their ears earrings and tons of white girls cruising around on their mopeds like bats outta ....well the bat bridge.......but more mexicans have been movin around here....and the indios done took over all the stores.....and there is a whole gang full of bruthas all around........so there is diversity.....in some areas more than others.....you have to get in where you fit in........or find another place

now the allergies.....i could really do without all the stuff that causes allergies.....but thats about anywhere.....Austin has a great central location to other places in the state....good point

Last edited by Mr. Solis; 11-04-2010 at 10:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin