U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-02-2010, 03:31 PM

6 posts, read 6,305 times
Default Things to dislike about Austin

I dislike Austin due to the lack of diversity (too many country people), hot weather and lack of rain, the need for education to get get a job, the bad drivers, lack of good radio stations, and bad public transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-02-2010, 03:54 PM

25,171 posts, read 31,085,895 times
Hello Adam,

I can only speak of my experience in 2008. You are right. There really isn't too much diversity. It's a city built for white people.

A handful of the places looked somewhat modern and liberal on the surface by Texas standards. But it wasn't anything unique when compared to Denton, Texas (a small city). And at first people were approachable at some places of business. But the customer service would always pale in comparison to other cities I've been to in Texas.

I also realized that all of the churches except for MCC take the bible literally. I was really startled to find that people actually take the bible literally. I was raised to view the bible as fiction or myth. I didn't know so many people could be so ignorant. The churches look really modern and progressive on the outside but their doctrine is very old fashioned and conservative despite the pretentious appearances. I thought for a liberal city the churches would have stopped taking the bible literally since we know how inaccurate it is. Oh well!

I was very disappointed with the nightlife. It's too crowded on 6th and 5th street. Too many people coming in from Houston and San Antonio, too. Bumper to bumper traffic is freaky! Alcohol and football seem to be a way of life for the people at every single nightclub.

Everything is too expensive.

I got mixed messages almost everywhere I went.

The yuppies are really sarcastic and unapproachable as somebody just mentioned.

The redneck culture is pretty obvious. Football, alcohol, and tubing are top priorities for everyone.

The art scene is way too small and limited for me. Ghostland Observatory is the only Austin based band that I like but I can see them anywhere in any major city.

Overall I was very disappointed and left as soon as possible.

Last edited by artsyguy; 11-02-2010 at 04:08 PM..

Unread 11-02-2010, 03:56 PM

26,091 posts, read 19,267,424 times
I just didn't like the traffic, the lack of parking, and how you couldn't have a nice car there.

Unread 11-02-2010, 04:03 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,292,049 times
This is hilarious.. I bet Riverdale GA, is awesome though.

Unread 11-02-2010, 04:22 PM

1,042 posts, read 912,276 times
I'm not a big fan of the people in Austin who complain of Austin's "lack of diversity" whatever thats supposed to mean and who complain about Austin being to "redneck" or "country".

If it bothers you so much, DM me for directions to the bus station.

Last time I checked Austin was still located in Texas. What "diversity" does Austin not have that it should?

Unread 11-02-2010, 04:40 PM

25,171 posts, read 31,085,895 times
I think they mean that the varying people should be more integrated and less stratified. At least that is what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post

Last time I checked Austin was still located in Texas. What "diversity" does Austin not have that it should?

Unread 11-02-2010, 04:57 PM

516 posts, read 689,395 times
Since we have only been living here since last spring I am no authority, but we do love living here and yes we did come from a very diverse area of CA. That said, there are really only two things that I'm not happy about here - the drivers and lack of good radio stations. The drivers here really puzzle me. I find people here are as friendly and laid back as just about any place I have been too, but put them behind the wheel and they become crazy. As for radio stations I just haven't found any middle of the road stations. It seems like it's a lot of conservative stations or NPR.

Unread 11-02-2010, 05:00 PM

8,241 posts, read 9,482,916 times
1. 20 somethings who've just 'discovered' Austin.
2. traffic
3. limousine liberals

Unread 11-02-2010, 05:33 PM

305 posts, read 405,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Hello Adam,

I can only speak of my experience in 2008. You are right. There really isn't too much diversity. It's a city built for white people.

A handful of the places looked somewhat modern and liberal on the surface by Texas standards. But it wasn't anything unique when compared to Denton, Texas (a small city). And at first people were approachable at some places of business. But the customer service would always pale in comparison to other cities I've been to in Texas.

I also realized that all of the churches except for MCC take the bible literally. I was really startled to find that people actually take the bible literally. I was raised to view the bible as fiction or myth. I didn't know so many people could be so ignorant. The churches look really modern and progressive on the outside but their doctrine is very old fashioned and conservative despite the pretentious appearances. I thought for a liberal city the churches would have stopped taking the bible literally since we know how inaccurate it is. Oh well!

I was very disappointed with the nightlife. It's too crowded on 6th and 5th street. Too many people coming in from Houston and San Antonio, too. Bumper to bumper traffic is freaky! Alcohol and football seem to be a way of life for the people at every single nightclub.

Everything is too expensive.

I got mixed messages almost everywhere I went.

The yuppies are really sarcastic and unapproachable as somebody just mentioned.

The redneck culture is pretty obvious. Football, alcohol, and tubing are top priorities for everyone.

The art scene is way too small and limited for me. Ghostland Observatory is the only Austin based band that I like but I can see them anywhere in any major city.

Overall I was very disappointed and left as soon as possible.
I hate to critique your opinions and everything, but you forgot to tell us all how much the university sucks and is too cliquish to accept anyone not in lockstep with their agendas.

Now continue to hate away...

Unread 11-02-2010, 05:43 PM

78 posts, read 72,334 times
As a person of color whos considering moving to Austin (Which I love the city)

1. ArtsGuy/Adam131..... every US city is built for white pople :-D they, built them LOL....
2. Im imaging people move to Austin forgetting the most important thing... 20 miles outside of Austin... ITS TEXAS! The whole state is full of country folks its ok... people forget the details..
3. Night life is supposed to be crowed.. thats what makes it fun

I have no illusions about what Im getting into moving here.. but then Im the sort of fellow who just makes it a point to just get along..... besides... I love BBQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin