Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 01:06 PM

353 posts, read 1,261,746 times

Advertisements

I haven't posted on these boards in a while, so pardon me if I'm rusty!

I currently live in the DC area. I visited Santa Fe in 2006, stayed there for a week and loved it. I was vacillating back and forth between whether or not I should move there. DC is very accessible with a lot of things close by and I don't need a car, but I feel DC is cold (attitude-wise), too much about status and people are more concerned about who you work for. I've made friends here but it was hard. I also feel it's very congested, and I'm tired of getting ran over by cyclists, joggers (solo, running with a partner, running with a stroller, running with a dog, and so forth) when I'm simply trying to walk somewhere. I'm Santa Fe was the opposite. People were very friendly, there was plenty of room for me to walk without feeling like I was going to bump into someone every five seconds, and there's that art culture I really like. However, Santa Fe's not very accessible, I hear that health care isn't that great, the weather's all over the place (60 the day I arrived and 30 and snowing the day I left) and I would need a car. That, and compared to DC it's slower-paced.

That said, a few people told me to consider Austin. I hear that though Austin isn't as accessible as DC it's still possible to get around without a car, the weather's warmer (I can definitely live without a snowy winter), it's laid back and very artsy. It's making me wonder if Austin is the place for me.

My concerns are the following:

• Would I have access to decent health care here? I'm healthy, it's just that I've been happy for the most part with DC's health care, and hope to find that in a new environment.
  • What is the crime rate? (I've dealt with a lot of street harassment living in DC and was attacked at the Metro last year, and would love to live somewhere where this nonsense is not the norm.)
  • I know the cost of living is lower than the DC area, so would I be able to find a decent job? (I've been doing mostly support jobs with a side job doing editing, and I would love to segue into writing/editing.)
  • I'm black, and heard that Austin's not as diverse as DC. I'm not one who wants to live around only one or two races (and I'm not one who wants to only live around black people), so diversity's important to me. Would I find that here?
  • I'm in my late 20s and not really into the party scene. I feel as if the condo where I live is like a dorm of rich, entitled snobs just out of college who stumble home loud and drunk in the late hours and don't care about how disrespectful that is. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy the nightlife from time to time and am not ready to retire anytime soon, but I want to live around people close to my age but at the same time have more to do than get wasted and party.
  • I don't own a car in DC, so I rely on public transportation or I walk (I love walking). I hear that Austin's public transportation is mostly buses and a light rail. I hear there's also a car-share program. Would I manage without a car here or is it necessary to buy one?

I'm sure other questions will come up, but if you help with the ones I've posted so far I'd truly appreciate it. (I do want to visit Austin as well, and may do that this spring.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 03:48 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Lots of people here post questions similar to yours. I'll try to include some of what you might hear.

Health care - I am a long time resident with a family (including extended senior family). I have no concerns at all with health care - whether routine or cardiovascular surgery. But there is no "Austin" health care per se. What you use will depend on your healthcare plan.

The violent crime rate in Austin has historically been very low. 2010 has seen a bump in shootings but I don't know if this is a spike or not. I think most people would say they feel very safe in Austin. Property crimes are slightly higher than the national averages but it is not widespread.

The job market is tight. Better than many other areas, but still tough. DC is said to have the best job market in the US now because of the massive growth in federal hiring. So it may be difficult to find a job.

Lots of choices in night life. The college age kids of course have their stuff. But live music is very strong and there are many places to hear it. Austin's music scene is very light on jazz, good in many other types, but I cannot believe the R&B scene compares to DC.

Austin has diversity, but has nowhere near the black % of DC. Austin has few ethnic concentrations except in East Austin - where many of lower economic status live. Some of that is changing (gentrifying). There has historically been some tension between the black community and city leadership including the police. But it is my opinion that local NAACP leaders inflame every incident and they raise tension, not lower it. I think the separation of people around Austin is driven far more by economics than ethnicity or sexual preference.

I cannot imagine living in Austin without a car unless you just don't need to go anyplace. If you live in the downtown areas ($$) you could probably do without a car. Except when you wanted to get to areas outside central Austin or visit another city.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:56 PM

353 posts, read 1,261,746 times
Quote:
Austin's music scene is very light on jazz, good in many other types, but I cannot believe the R&B scene compares to DC.
Love R&B but am more of an '80s pop person, so that wouldn't bother me.

Quote:
Austin has diversity, but has nowhere near the black % of DC.
I would like diversity, but I don't need to be only around people the same race as me. As long as I'm not the only black person around one race, I'm cool. I'm all for variety.

Quote:
The job market is tight. Better than many other areas, but still tough. DC is said to have the best job market in the US now because of the massive growth in federal hiring. So it may be difficult to find a job.
This worries me, but I won't let it deter me.

Quote:
I cannot imagine living in Austin without a car unless you just don't need to go anyplace. If you live in the downtown areas ($$) you could probably do without a car. Except when you wanted to get to areas outside central Austin or visit another city.
I'm originally from Buffalo, which has a light rail and mostly bus transportation, and while it was easier to get around with a car I managed without one. So I may be able to manage in Austin.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions! I'll also browse around the other threads as well.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:41 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,539 times
The job market is pretty tight right now. I wouldn't move here unless you have an offer in place. Several of my neighbors have had a relative move in to look for work here and they can't find anything.

It's really inconvenient to get around in Austin without a car. It's not like DC, New York or the Bay Area where there is established public transportation in place, neighborhoods are planned in a sensible way and it's regular and efficient. I used to take public transportation all the time in SF. I almost never do in Austin. The buses run infrequently, require many connections because the city isn't laid out in a very practical way, and it's too inconvenient to change buses 4 times and take 2 hours to get somewhere I could drive in 10 minutes. Because of this, most people drive, there's lots of traffic and they haven't done much to expand the bus system.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:37 PM

355 posts, read 923,062 times
Would I have access to decent health care here? I'm healthy, it's just that I've been happy for the most part with DC's health care, and hope to find that in a new environment.

It's fine. though I've heard you *must* go to Dallas for decent plastic surgery. LOL.

What is the crime rate? (I've dealt with a lot of street harassment living in DC and was attacked at the Metro last year, and would love to live somewhere where this nonsense is not the norm.)

It's pretty safe.

I know the cost of living is lower than the DC area, so would I be able to find a decent job? (I've been doing mostly support jobs with a side job doing editing, and I would love to segue into writing/editing.)

Yes, the cost of living is lower--and so are the wages! As others have said--the market is tight, as well as FULL of overqualified people (the University of Texas produces thousands of grads every year who STAY) in a pretty small market.

I'm black, and heard that Austin's not as diverse as DC. I'm not one who wants to live around only one or two races (and I'm not one who wants to only live around black people), so diversity's important to me. Would I find that here?

NO. There are primarily 2 "races" here, white and Mexican. And I dare say, if you want to date (or marry) a black man, well, you might want to consider Houston, Dallas or Atlanta.

I'm in my late 20s and not really into the party scene. I feel as if the condo where I live is like a dorm of rich, entitled snobs just out of college who stumble home loud and drunk in the late hours and don't care about how disrespectful that is. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy the nightlife from time to time and am not ready to retire anytime soon, but I want to live around people close to my age but at the same time have more to do than get wasted and party.

This is a young city in many ways. I'm wondering if you'd be more comfortable in a more "mature" city. Santa Fe it ain't.

I don't own a car in DC, so I rely on public transportation or I walk (I love walking). I hear that Austin's public transportation is mostly buses and a light rail. I hear there's also a car-share program. Would I manage without a car here or is it necessary to buy one?

You cannot survive without a car here. There is no where to walk (not a walking city) and it's beastly hot for at least 4-5 months of the year. I cannot imagine someone trying to schlepp around here without a car--what a nightmare!

Old 11-04-2010, 09:44 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingfree View Post
I haven't posted on these boards in a while, so pardon me if I'm rusty!

I currently live in the DC area. I visited Santa Fe in 2006, stayed there for a week and loved it. I was vacillating back and forth between whether or not I should move there. DC is very accessible with a lot of things close by and I don't need a car, but I feel DC is cold (attitude-wise), too much about status and people are more concerned about who you work for. I've made friends here but it was hard. I also feel it's very congested, and I'm tired of getting ran over by cyclists, joggers (solo, running with a partner, running with a stroller, running with a dog, and so forth) when I'm simply trying to walk somewhere. I'm Santa Fe was the opposite. People were very friendly, there was plenty of room for me to walk without feeling like I was going to bump into someone every five seconds, and there's that art culture I really like. However, Santa Fe's not very accessible, I hear that health care isn't that great, the weather's all over the place (60 the day I arrived and 30 and snowing the day I left) and I would need a car. That, and compared to DC it's slower-paced.

That said, a few people told me to consider Austin. I hear that though Austin isn't as accessible as DC it's still possible to get around without a car, the weather's warmer (I can definitely live without a snowy winter), it's laid back and very artsy. It's making me wonder if Austin is the place for me.

• Would I have access to decent health care here? I'm healthy, it's just that I've been happy for the most part with DC's health care, and hope to find that in a new environment.
  • What is the crime rate? (I've dealt with a lot of street harassment living in DC and was attacked at the Metro last year, and would love to live somewhere where this nonsense is not the norm.)
  • I know the cost of living is lower than the DC area, so would I be able to find a decent job? (I've been doing mostly support jobs with a side job doing editing, and I would love to segue into writing/editing.)
  • I'm black, and heard that Austin's not as diverse as DC. I'm not one who wants to live around only one or two races (and I'm not one who wants to only live around black people), so diversity's important to me. Would I find that here?
  • I'm in my late 20s and not really into the party scene. I feel as if the condo where I live is like a dorm of rich, entitled snobs just out of college who stumble home loud and drunk in the late hours and don't care about how disrespectful that is. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy the nightlife from time to time and am not ready to retire anytime soon, but I want to live around people close to my age but at the same time have more to do than get wasted and party.
  • I don't own a car in DC, so I rely on public transportation or I walk (I love walking). I hear that Austin's public transportation is mostly buses and a light rail. I hear there's also a car-share program. Would I manage without a car here or is it necessary to buy one?

I'm sure other questions will come up, but if you help with the ones I've posted so far I'd truly appreciate it. (I do want to visit Austin as well, and may do that this spring.)
I don't think that Austin is diverse at all. You'd have to go to Houston or Dallas to find diversity, and only the center city at that. When I lived and worked in Austin 20 years ago, my fellow workers/friends were black and lamented that Austin had such few blacks. To me, it seemed odd to hear that because I came from a city that was only 4% black (corpus christi). I went out with them to a few happy hours. There were certain clubs that they liked ot go to together. Maybe it has changed, but when it go to Austin, it seems overwhelmingly white still.
You will need a car unless you can afford to live in the center city. It is Texas after all.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:54 AM

44 posts, read 81,976 times
Default Living in DC versus Living in Austin

Hi

I just wanted to respond to your email because i lived and went to graduate school in DC for 7 years. i am very familiar with the city and totally understand your questions.

First, and foremost, i would say come visit Austin and see how it feels. It has a very laid back feeling that you do not get in DC except maybe in adams morgan area ...

DC is a very cultural town. One of the biggest differences between the two cities. So many languages, cultures that sometimes you forget and take it for granted in DC, because you don't see that as much in Austin.

Austin is a great city and if you want an "easier" lifestyle, then it is a great place to be. I lived in both SF and DC. If you live near the downtown area, Bouldin Creek, Clarksville area, then you will not need a car, depending on where you work. You can get around by walking and biking...

Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by Bo; 11-05-2010 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: I explained this edit in a Direct Message.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:00 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
This City-Data demographics page will answer a lot of your questions about Austin. http://www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html

I disagree with Hoffdano on one thing, the property crime rate being only slightly higher then the US average.

According to the FBI data tabulated here for 2009 and cities over 250,000 population United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Austin has the 5th highest total property crime rate, with larceny-theft being the biggest problem. But is way down at 58th place in total violent crime.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:25 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,749 times
There have been many discussions about this, and I still say the same thing. Austin isn't the best city for black people. I, myself, am a hybrid of Black/Japenese, and I often dreamed of living in a cultural city like DC, Nyc, etc. Nevertheless, I've made it work. I'm now married with three children, so Austin works for us as a family. When I was single, I couldn't wait to get out of Austin.

You've clearly stated that you aren't the "Angela Davis type," so you might actually enjoy Austin. Just make sure you secure a job before you come. Have you considered visiting for a couple of weeks to get a feel for it? That might help with your decision.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:25 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingfree View Post

Austin is a small town with good amenities, but still a small town. The key decision is do you want to live in a real city or a small town.

Writing is probably going to pay a lot less than DC. You can look at salary.com to compare the areas for your particular job descriptions. However you might be able to keep your DC job at your DC pay and live in Austin.

Austin is definitely not diverse. While DC has many cultures, we pretty much have hispanic, american blacks, indian asians, chinese/vietnamese asians and american whites. Most of the minorities will tend to be lower income/educated except the asians. This is as compared to DC or other cities (NYC/atlanta) where there are tons of professional blacks. Also if you are looking to date a black guy, educated black men will be a rarity and heavily in demand.

Rich entitled people will probably move to NYC/DC as austin probably doesnt hold enough of an attraction. There is a good single nightlife here for late 20's early thirties people. The condos are almost certainly heavily concentrated with young professionals.

The public transportation is really bad in austin. You will definitely have to own a car. Our "light rail" is not really usable as we only have a single line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin