U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 05:45 AM

709 posts, read 1,182,436 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the double post. I figured that with insurance companies there would have to be a list of "Bad cities for Drivers" around somewhere. I found an Allstate one here... http://www.allstatenewsroom.com/rele...b-e73d904158fd

Of 193 cities Austin came in at 170 and drivers are 34% more likely to be in an accident than the national average.

For Texas... Dallas area (Dallas, Mesquite, Arlington, Garland, Irving) were all worse than Austin ranging from ranking 173 to 181. San Antonio and Houston is at 163/161 and 30.2/29.5% over national average respectively. So that puts Austin in the middle there for the Texas big cities. Of the mid to smaller cites in Texas the best driver were along the border towns and in the valley.

Where Austin is nationally... 170 out of 193 like I said. Now that is a little bit misleading because for the big cities Austin really isn't as bad as I would have put it. The bottom of the list has all the big cities while the top of the list has smaller cities. LA which I (still) feel has the best drivers is much worse than Austin. It was at 183 and 44.7%. The worst was DC at 193 and 95.5% above national average with Baltimore right above it at 192. Philly and San Fran were also worse than Austin. San Diego (the city with the highest DUI's per driver) is right in the middle around 100. The best big city is Milwaukee at 42 and -6%. Other big cities right behind Milwaukee that have great drivers is Denver, Memphis, OKC, Phoenix, El Paso, SLC in that order all in the top 100 and the better 50%. All the rest of the big cities in the US are in the bottom half.

Now all that being said... I still think Austin drivers are ruder and more aggressive than other places and that even though you are more likely to get hit (and I have never been hit in Austin but hit a lot in LA) I still think LA driver were nicer and better than in Austin. Even though I found the numbers and stats to prove otherwise it is just hard to go against that gut feeling. I guess it is just something I can't even explain to myself so fail to here. lol.

Last edited by BevoLJ; 11-14-2010 at 06:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 05:52 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,977,743 times
I've lived in many cities across the USA and other even another country.

Austin drivers aren't that bad. I'm speaking from first hand experience.

Atlanta, Houston and Miami come to mind. Austin is not even close to having droves of bonehead drivers like those cities. No debate.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:25 AM

7,197 posts, read 16,512,746 times
I think bigger cities adopt their own "style" of driving, which is at least predictable.

That's the problem in Austin, IMO. No standard style. Some drive too slow, some drive too fast, and more seem indecisive and unpredictable than in other cities. In cities like Houston, everyone drives fast (when there is no traffic) and very decisively. If you don't, though, they'll pretty much cut you some slack as a noob. But you are expected to learn the system fast, and I think most do.

That said, I don't think it's terrible here... annoying, yes.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:44 AM

16,748 posts, read 41,997,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
I figured that with insurance companies there would have to be a list of "Bad cities for Drivers" around somewhere. I found an Allstate one here... http://www.allstatenewsroom.com/rele...b-e73d904158fd
Interesting resource, thanks for sharing it.

Quote:
The Allstate Insurance Company (NYSE: ALL) today released its sixth annual "Allstate America's Best Drivers Report™." The report ranks America's 200 largest cities in terms of car collision frequency to identify which cities have the safest drivers, according to Allstate claim data.
Texas cities listed in order of Best Driver Rank:

36 Brownsville
46 McAllen
57 Laredo
65 Lubbock
67 Amarillo
77 El Paso
90 Corpus Christi
125 Pasadena
132 Waco
140 Fort Worth
155 Plano
157 Grand Prarie
161 Houston
163 San Antonio
168 Carrollton
170 Austin
172 Mesquite
173 Dallas
175 Arlington
176 Irving
181 Garland

IN this article they also list of Cities over 1 million, how likely they are to be in an accident compared to the national average. http://www.allstatenewsroom.com/releases/4654-sixth-annual-allstate-america (broken link)

74. Phoenix, Ariz. 1.9% more likely 9.8 years between accidents

103. San Diego, Calif. 8.3% more likely 9.2

159. New York, N.Y. 28.6% more likely 7.8

161. Houston, Texas 29.5% more likely 7.7

163 San Antonio, Texas 30.2% more likely 7.7

167. Chicago, Ill. 32.3% more likely 7.6

173. Dallas, Texas 35.2% more likely 7.4

183. Los Angeles, Calif. 44.7% more likely 6.9 <--------- Clearly they have gotten worse since I lived there in 1971

187. Philadelphia, Pa. 53.5% more likely 6.5

Last edited by CptnRn; 11-14-2010 at 11:05 AM..

Old 11-14-2010, 01:50 PM

63 posts, read 116,118 times
i dont care what stats say, austin drivers are the worst

Old 11-14-2010, 05:25 PM

20,614 posts, read 38,636,917 times
DANG those facts! My OPINION is all that matters!

There's a lot of that going around the internet these days, I've noticed.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizionblind View Post
i dont care what stats say, austin drivers are the worst
"Opinions are a dime a dozen".

Unsubstantiated opinions are worth even less.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:24 AM

732 posts, read 1,794,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
I have lived in the North East and in LA. I am just saying from my experience that pretty much anywhere you drive in Caly they have the best drivers. My biggest complaint about the drivers over there is they drive to slow. It always drove me nuts. In the NE they drive faster and a bit crazier. But even while they may be just as rude and aggressive as drivers here in Austin they are better drivers IMO. Especially if it rains or there is any ice or snow. I don't think there is any road in the world I'd least like to be on than a icy road in Austin. =) Just a touch of ice in Austin and it is like the world is ending in this city.

I love Austin to death, but I gota say... just from my own personal experience from the places I have lived or traveled in the US, Austin has the rudest most aggressive drivers. Unless I am on my way to Houston, Dallas, or on a big highway going to another city, I always drive the speed limit. No where outside of Austin do I see so many people in such a hurry and driving so fast. Here in Austin it is really like the speed limit is much more of a suggestion than a limit. Granted, perhaps the main reason people don't drive so fast in NYC or Boston is because the tunnels are parking lots most of the time. =P

I don't have any fancy stats to back up my experience. Although I did get run into more in Caly than anywhere else, I still think they have the best drivers. Perhaps why they drive so slow and I got hit so much is because they are all stoned.
I agree with the first part about people in the NE being more competent drivers in all conditions but have to disagree with Austin drivers driving too fast. Quite often I am the fastest on the road going 65 mph in clear conditions. It also seems often the congestion is caused by people anticipating traffic and slowing down when they don't need to thereby causing the very congestion they were anticipating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
DANG those facts! My OPINION is all that matters!

There's a lot of that going around the internet these days, I've noticed.
Not going to argue that people throw around a lot of opinions as fact. It is pretty obvious, though, when someone is spouting an opinion. I don't think most people are stating "Austin drivers are worst in the country!" as a fact.

Also, I think the title of Worst Drivers is very difficult to quantify so it will lend itself to be anecdotal. I know I am cut off way more here than anywhere else I have driven. There are far more cases of people not using directionals. More people that seem to have a dangerously passive attitude when driving. Not all of these instances will make a statistic because it will only because a close call, but in my opinion (hopefully no one thinks I am trying to pass this off as fact) a close call still constitutes bad driving.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:21 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,833,837 times
I personally don't find Austin drivers to be any worse than anywhere else. HOWEVER, Austin drivers are REALLY bad in the rain. I guess it's because it doesn't rain too often here....not really sure. Also, many of the woman I see putting on makeup while driving and texting need to realize that there are SOME people that still drive cars. I know that your big gas guzzling SUV makes you more important, but PLEASE take heed. We matter too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I often see people making statements here that Austin drivers are the worst in the country. I wondered if there was any truth to that statement, so I did a little research. I could not find traffic accident or statistics listed by City so I had to make due with what information was available.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration does tabulate the number of traffic fatalities by State and County. Fatality counts are not the only measure of good or bad drivers, but they certainly are a highly relevant factor.

The fatality count data for states includes the Fatality rate per 100 million vehicle miles driven
FARS Encyclopedia: States - Fatalities and Fatality Rates

Montana 2.12
Louisiana 2.03
South Carolina 1.86
Arkansas 1.81
Wyoming 1.68
Alabama 1.63
Nevada 1.56
Oklahoma 1.55
Arizona 1.52
Idaho 1.52
Texas 1.48

Which shows pretty clearly that there are numerous other states with far worse fatality counts then Texas. Texas would be number 11 on that list.

OK, so is it still possible that Austin has the worst drivers in Texas?

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration does tabulate the number of traffic fatalities by County. FARS Encyclopedia: States - Fatalities and Fatality Rates I had to look up the population for each county and do the math to come up with a fatality rate per 100,000 population in order to be able to compare the numbers. Since there were numerous counties with fatality counts higher then Travis County, I calculated this only for counties with a total fatality count over 30. and came up with the following list.

Fatality rate/100,000 population, County (City), fatalities, population

23.61 Smith (Tyler) 47 198,705
20.52 Tarrant (Ft. Worth) 134 653,320
16.55 Montgomery (Hus-SL-Baytown) 74 447,718
16.52 McLennan (Waco) 42 230,213
15.63 LUbbock 38 242,628
10.59 Nueces (Corpus) 33 313,645
9.27 El Paso 70 755,085
9.16 Travis (Austin) 94 1,026,158
9.02 Bexar (San Antonio) 149 fatalities 1,651,448
8.53 Williamson (Austin/RR) 35 410,686
8.32 Harris (Hus-SL-Baytown) 339 4,070,989
6.42 Dallas 160 2,492,850

Clearly there are numerous Counties/Cities in Texas that have higher fatality rates, and therefore worse drivers then Austin.

The quote below is from another thread:

I find it amusing when I see statements such as this, one because I don't believe it and two because it is mathematically impossible for most of the drivers on the road to be native Austinites. The truth is that most of Austin's drivers moved here from someplace else. Austin has been growing at a rate of 35% to 65% every 10 years for the last 70 years, so the number of native Austin drivers on the road is miniscule compared to all of the transplants. At best you could claim that Austin attracts the nations worst drivers to live here, but only if you could prove that Austin has the worst drivers. I don't that can be proven, and the data above clearly refutes it in my opinion.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
Also, I think the title of Worst Drivers is very difficult to quantify so it will lend itself to be anecdotal. I know I am cut off way more here than anywhere else I have driven. There are far more cases of people not using directionals. More people that seem to have a dangerously passive attitude when driving. Not all of these instances will make a statistic because it will only because a close call, but in my opinion (hopefully no one thinks I am trying to pass this off as fact) a close call still constitutes bad driving.
I'm trying to figure out what you mean by a "dangerously passive attitude when driving". I thought it was the "aggressive attitude when driving" that was dangerous.

To me a passive driver is one who goes with the flow, is accommodating to other drivers and shares the road, who recognizes that we are all in this together and need to work together if we all want to arrive alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or