Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:40 AM

3,982 posts, read 6,698,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
That's the catch for a lot of people. Some want brand new houses, while others feel more comfortable with a more "filled-in" location. Considering these two options are the same price point, you really can't have both. Parkside is a nice development. The houses were built between 2004-2008 by Standard Pacific (same builder as Circle C Meridian). Access to the airport is as good as it gets for an area with new construction at the 180K-250K pricepoint. A lot of people are hesitant to move to areas that they deem "untested" but this area has been growing in population and price over the last 10 years as people seek new construction, more retail options, proximity to downtown and the airport. This is really the last area in Austin that offers this combination. 78704 is trendy and waaay expensive, 78749 is old construction yet still pricey, and almost everything between Ben White and Slaughter (78745) is a dump. That's what starting to drive people to the 78747 / 78748 zip codes.
78745 has a few unkept areas but blanketing it with the label 'dump' is extremely misleading. If it is such a 'dump' why did my 78745 home appreciate on average 7% annually between when I bought it in 2000 and when I sold it in 2009?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 12:29 PM

3,202 posts, read 5,986,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
why did my 78745 home appreciate on average 7% annually between when I bought it in 2000 and when I sold it in 2009?
Probably because the land under the house appreciated 7% from 2000-2009.

Why?
Because of it's proximity to downtown, and people getting pushed out of 78704. The houses themselves are dumpy.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:41 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,698,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Probably because the land under the house appreciated 7% from 2000-2009.

Why?
Because of it's proximity to downtown, and people getting pushed out of 78704. The houses themselves are dumpy.
Proximity to DT is also why people are putting more and more money into these homes. Hate to break it to you but there are many, as you say, dumps in Hyde Park and Bouldin Creek if your criteria for spotless perfection is that high.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:43 PM

15,241 posts, read 35,440,091 times
78745 has quite a few pretty rough areas, and some that are nicer, too; however, you can use that same logic about the improvements in 78748 to say that the area in 78745 may dramatically improve over the coming years. As a whole, 78748 is generally nicer, but it all comes down to exactly where you end up...those are some pretty large geographical areas.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Proximity to DT is also why people are putting more and more money into these homes. Hate to break it to you but there are many, as you say, dumps in Hyde Park and Bouldin Creek if your criteria for spotless perfection is that high.
Apologies. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods in that zip, (such as Cherrywood for example) but a lot of the homes in this zip seem to be from the 60's when it was more working class. Sears catalog houses seem to dominate, and most are badly in need of updating or demolition. I really think it's time is coming, and the area will become more desirable, but some of the housing is really unsalvagable, and just needs to go.

disclaimer: GoogleMaps is showing these zips incorrectly, here is a map:

Last edited by jobert; 11-15-2010 at 02:52 PM..

Old 11-15-2010, 01:51 PM

If people are willing to put in the time, effort, and money, then there are great houses to be had in 78745. The proximity to downtown makes it worth it for a lot of people. The prices for new housing in that zip is still pretty high though. They start around 180K at the very southern end of that zip (Gehan at Dittmar, Millstone on Manchacha, and others). Pertaining to Parkside, it's a very safe community with a crime rate as low as anywhere else south of the river. Check the website krimelabb.com, type in the zip codes, and check the map option for accurate locations.

Last edited by jobert; 11-15-2010 at 03:11 PM..

Old 11-15-2010, 03:59 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,921,473 times
I lived in 78748 for 11 years, most of that in Shady Hollow. Although my partner and I liked Shady Hollow and enjoyed the house we owned there, we got really tired of how far it is from everything, aside from the supermarket, the gym and Bed, Bath and Beyond. We subsequently lived in 78704 and liked that so much better. There are many neighborhoods in 78748 and some are quite icky IMO, mostly the ones that are east of Brodie Ln and especially east of Manchaca (although I don't like some of the ones that are north of Slaughter and west of Manchaca). Circle C is "nice" in pretty much the same way as Shady Hollow, and slightly (I emphasise slightly) closer to town than Shady Hollow. The MoPac extension has, of course, helped somewhat but on the other hand the area has also lost some of the charm it had when Brodie was a 2 lane road, some of it gravel (it was less congested then than it is now). Overall, I'd take 78704 than 78748. Much of 78745 is run down or rather icky compared to 78748, so the latter is preferable to the former even if farther out.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I lived in 78748 for 11 years, most of that in Shady Hollow. Although my partner and I liked Shady Hollow and enjoyed the house we owned there, we got really tired of how far it is from everything, aside from the supermarket, the gym and Bed, Bath and Beyond. We subsequently lived in 78704 and liked that so much better. There are many neighborhoods in 78748 and some are quite icky IMO, mostly the ones that are east of Brodie Ln and especially east of Manchaca (although I don't like some of the ones that are north of Slaughter and west of Manchaca). Circle C is "nice" in pretty much the same way as Shady Hollow, and slightly (I emphasise slightly) closer to town than Shady Hollow. The MoPac extension has, of course, helped somewhat but on the other hand the area has also lost some of the charm it had when Brodie was a 2 lane road, some of it gravel (it was less congested then than it is now). Overall, I'd take 78704 than 78748. Much of 78745 is run down or rather icky compared to 78748, so the latter is preferable to the former even if farther out.
Fair assessment. The area west of Manchacha/North of Slaughter is Tanglewood. There appears to be some very run down housing there, probably some of the worse in south Austin. The sad part is that there are some really charming neighborhoods between Westgate and Manchacha south of Davis with nice homes and mature forested canopies that are being hidden behind this decrepit stretch of housing. The areas immediately around SPM are not bad, even the existing housing. Some of the neighborhoods, if you want to Google: Stablewood at Slaughter Creek, Meadows at Double Creek, Onion Creek, Parkside at Slaughter, and The Oaks at Twin Creek. As you could guess, there are a lot of creeks in this area, and the "Creek" extension gets overused, much like "Ranch" has in other parts of town.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:18 PM

Uh, I lived for a year in Tanglewood before buying in Shady Hollow. Tanglewood was SOUTH of Slaughter, west of Manchaca. In my previous post I was talking about the area north of the HEB that is on the corner of Slaughter and Manchaca -- up in there, essentially all that area between William Cannon and Slaughter on the WEST side of Slaugher and east of Brodie. It's kinda lowerish middle class in character. I'm sure there are some nice houses back in there but a lot of it isn't. However, east of Machaca on both sides of Slaughter is probably worst of all. Maybe I am misrembering and the area on both sides of Slaughter west of Manchaca and east of Brodie are considered Tanglewood -- though I don't think Tanglewood extends beyond Davis Rd. on the north end. I guess it's Tanglewood Elementary (?) -- lots of crappy little houses and duplexes in the streets immediately north of the school. I lived on the south side of Slaughter, just a couple blocks from the elementary school. There are some rental duplexes there and then behind those some fairly modest houses that may have become more run down over recent years, though they used to definitely be better than the real estate on the north side of Slaughter.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:24 PM

jobert, I went back and read your post with attention to the observations about the area north of Davis, east of Westgate and south of Wm Cannon. I have one friend who lives more or less in that area, although where she is I'm not sure whether their house is north or south of Davis -- I can't tell and always got in and out of there via Manchaca Rd. They had a decent house but some of the houses around them were pretty dilapidated and none of it was really good construction. It really does seem pretty much of a maze in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin