Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 02:08 PM

532 posts, read 1,391,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg31816 View Post
I have always been interested in Austin, even though I have never been there. I'm considering moving there in the next few years but one of my biggest concerns is how dog friendly Austin is...

I have a little hound mix that loves outdoors, playing with other canine pals at dog parks, and just being active. We currently live in PA, before that, CT, and I'm starting to get annoyed (already) with the cold weather and how it's "cramping our style" .

I'd love to move somewhere eventually where the warmer months outweigh the colder ones. I also have a french bulldog, but they aren't really active to begin with, so he's not much of a concern when it comes to that sort of stuff. It was 35 degrees today and windy, and it's only the beginning of December!

After looking at pictures of Austin in the pinned thread, I saw so many beautiful nature shots, scenes where I could totally picture my girl and I walking/hiking and having a great time.
Austin is definitely a dog-friendly city! Lots of areas to walk them; lots of off-leash dog parks; lots of stores that let you bring your dog in (as long as it's on its leash); lots of restaurants/bars that let the dogs stay on the patio; etc. And - not counting a few middle-of-the-night cold stretches that are just below freezing - the "winter" weather is very conducive to dogs for their outside playing and just hanging out. If anything, it's the summer that you need to be careful of as far as the dog being outside. All in all, I'd say Austin is a great place to have a dog, and ours loves being here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 02:46 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisch View Post
To the OP: Austin loves dogs. You will find no shortage of pretty places for you and your girl to go walking and you will likely find lots of company for you and new friends for her.
I agree. It gets cold sometimes, but the heat is more of a factor. Oops, we've had that debate before. Inside dog, outside dog...nm
You and your pooch will like Austin, though. We manage through the heat and dogs are welcome here.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:35 PM

354 posts, read 711,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I'm going to go ahead and call you on this; no place in the Austin area was 26 degrees at 11:31 last night. It was chilly, to be sure... but anyplace that was below 30 overnight would have way out in the hill country. Plus, even if Austin DOES get below freezing overnight, it'd be one of only a handful of days each year, like maybe 3-7 days max. And again, we're talking middle of the night. Austin remaining below freezing throughout during the middle of the day would be like a once in a decade event.

When someone from the Northeast says "it was 35 today", they usually mean during the day. Like when you might be actually be outside doing something.

Bottom line -- it was in the 50s and sunny here yesterday, and it will likely be in the low 50s and sunny today. 60s and 70s (typical Dec weather for Austin) later in the week.

Good dog walking weather.
good point. i am originally from boston and moved to san antonio from la. san antonio(some 80 or so miles south of austin,) has similar weather, and 70-80 degrees like it was here on thanksgiving and most of last week during the day is a northeasterners dream. you cannot compare the so called cold here which lssts for a few hours at nite to cold there.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:00 PM

431 posts, read 446,172 times
Haha, yes, it's been in the 30's here for a few days now, with wind, and it feels COLD and awful! I don't mind a day or two of that, overnight, but I hate months of cold weather. My *ideal* temperatures are 50-70 degrees, sun, light breeze, low humidity. I am worried about Austin in the summer, but there are nice summer nights once the sun is down where you can do things with your dog at least I would be very curious to experience the humidity in Austin vs. out here. Thanks for your replies guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin