Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 11:42 PM

55 posts, read 307,935 times

Advertisements

I've noticed, more than once, the word "liberal" is used to describe Austin.
(I don't want to annoy anyone so i'll tell you up front that politics is not my cup of tea.)

Just exactly how liberal is it?

Dixie Chic "i'm ashamed to be from the same state as George Bush" liberal?

Those of us that are from CA know what it's like to be from a liberal state and it's not always pretty and might be the reason why some of us are leaving.

My husband is a conservative, Bush supporter, "no spin zone" fan, veteran. Would someone like him be uncomfortable there, not able to blend in or enjoy the city?

SA has several military bases, is that a more conservative city?

What do you locals think? Care to start up a political debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2006, 12:06 AM

92 posts, read 673,615 times
Austin has to be the most liberal city in Texas, but I know plenty of conservative folks living there and feel comfortable and not intimidated.
Overall, pretty highly educated people in Austin, and very friendly..
Neighboring Williamson County, by stark contrast, is very conservative, and is really booming real estate wise.
Politically, I've been engaged in conversations involving very liberal and very conservative Austinites, and they engage in intelligent conversations, and can agree to disagree, and remain very good friends. Thomas Jefferson would be very proud of Austin.
Though probably mostly Democrats in Austin, there are plenty of diehard Bush supporters there.
Again, by contrast, Williamson County is predominantly Republican.
Having lived in Texas all my life, and in several areas of Texas, Central Texas is the place to be if you're gonna live in Texas!

Quote:
I've noticed, more than once, the word "liberal" is used to describe Austin.
(I don't want to annoy anyone so i'll tell you up front that politics is not my cup of tea.)

Just exactly how liberal is it?

Dixie Chic "i'm ashamed to be from the same state as George Bush" liberal?

Those of us that are from CA know what it's like to be from a liberal state and it's not always pretty and might be the reason why some of us are leaving.

My husband is a conservative, Bush supporter, "no spin zone" fan, veteran. Would someone like him be uncomfortable there, not able to blend in or enjoy the city?

SA has several military bases, is that a more conservative city?

What do you locals think? Care to start up a political debate.

Last edited by Yac; 08-19-2006 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: quote fixed

Old 08-19-2006, 06:57 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
Default Tolerance

I'm proud to say that Austin is the most TOLERANT city I have ever lived. Seriously, most people don't care who you voted for so long as you don't care who they voted for! I previously lived in an area that was centered around the military and most people were very conservative. There seemed to be so much anger all the time, especially concerning social issues.

I wish people would quit labeling places and people as liberal or conservative and then maybe we could all get along. LOL!!

One thing, if your husband is going to get upset every time he sees a bumper sticker that is anti-W, you may not want to move to Austin proper. If he can agree to disagree, then he'll be fine. I don't know where you would be living but if it's way out in the burbs then you have nothing to worry about anyway. The burbs are like any other burbs anywhere in the country and you'll find all kinds of people and beliefs there.

Good luck with your decision. Definitely come for a visit and bring an open mind!!

Old 08-19-2006, 08:00 PM

806 posts, read 2,883,614 times
Liberal is relative as I've learned from a previous inquiry, so my suggestion would be stay as far north as you possibly can. While the CenTex area is tolerant of opposing and divergent views regardless, any one who takes the opinions of the "no spin zone" and Rush Limbaugh as gospel, is probably not going to feel very comfortable unless they're very well informed and can argue their points without quoting either as their source.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:46 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
I live in SA and have to say that so far I have never found SA to have a GOP or Dem. lean to the city. The question seems to be who can get the job done the best. Bumper stickers of all kinds are here and we also have one of the largest MLK marches here. Not even sure who our mayor what party our mayor is with but just thought he could get the job done better. I think yall would both fit in nicely here.
Just my 2 cents

Old 08-21-2006, 08:30 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Austin is one of about 4 or 5 counties (out of 256?) in the entire state that voted against Bush. Tolerant is a good word, though. Local politics regarding environment and develpoment usually get the most attention, though. Lots of 'liberal' republicans and 'conservative' democrats around here to go with the extremes.

A litmus test - if the 6'4" guy with the beard, bikini, and high heels gets under your skin, then you might have an issue with Austin. If you just find it amusing, then you will be fine :-).

Old 08-22-2006, 12:06 PM

41 posts, read 215,947 times
Default Sanctuary City

I have heard that Austin has the "don't ask, don't tell" policy regarding illegal immigrants, even when arrested for a crime. This has encouraged us to eliminate Austin in our search to relocate near the I-35 corridor between S.A. and A.
At present, New Braunfels has all of our attention.
Any info will be appreciated.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:43 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
I don't think that there is any kind of policy specific to Austin like that. In generally, there is not any kind of local effort ANYWHERE that I know of in the state to try and find illegal immigrants. INS takes care of that, and no one else wants to spend their local enforcement dollars on immigration control, there are bigger issues with violent crime or the other 'typical' issues.

If an illegal immigrant is arrested for something, and their immigration status is know, they will probably be deported; however, it isn't necessarily easy to tell and many probably slip through. This is not a policy issue so much as an enforceablility issue. Also, I think it is a misconception that illegal immigrants are responsible for a disproportionate amount of crime. I suspect that illegal immigrants tend to keep a lower profile, although I have no way of knowing that, really.

Old 08-22-2006, 02:01 PM

806 posts, read 2,883,614 times
I'd recommend Farmers Branch, a little burg in the DFW metroplex, as your perfect location. They're about to take action on proposals aimed at making it tougher for illegal immigrants to live and work in the city. Should be quite an entertaining show when it begins...

Old 08-23-2006, 02:23 PM

41 posts, read 215,947 times
Default Farmers Branch

I think that DFW would make for a lengthy commute, so that suggestion is worthless. Perhaps I should look at Round Rock, since it is north of Austin, but not quite as far as Farmers Branch.
What is the 'entertainment' factor that you describe,when the folks are trying to enforce what is important to them?
I thought this forum was designed to be helpful, not critical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin