U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-16-2010, 11:37 AM

676 posts, read 787,720 times
We just moved to Fredericksburg from the Twin Cities and I will tell you, we are LOVING the weather here. September 15 onward has been comparable to the best summer/fall weather you can imagine in MN. We expect it to stay this way until the end of April. We arrived in July, and I know it wasn't the hottest summer here in TX, but it was tolerable. One big difference is that the sun comes up later so even on the hottest day, you can be outside and exercise or do yardwork until about 9:30 AM. The sun is brutal, though -- I won't sugarcoat it. The evening can bring some nice breezes, usually we are by the pool with an ice cold beer! But I do keep looking at the weather there in MN and chuckling. Yesterday it was 75 degrees here and I went for a 20 mile bike ride. We are not missing the cold one bit.

In any case, if your husband has flexibility with his job, you may want to check out the Hill Country. Much of Austin reminded me of the suburban Twin Cities and we wanted something completely different and uniquely Texas, so here we are. It is really beautiful, we are near family, and my DH can still get to SAT airport in about an hour. The schools are decent and there are plenty of activities for our kids. Lots of newcomers as well!

PM me if you have any questions and good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-16-2010, 11:52 AM

8 posts, read 6,253 times
Thanks Cinn. toast- that was a actually some positive advice. Being that you are from MN, you know what I am talking about

Unread 12-17-2010, 12:10 AM

26 posts, read 26,259 times
Whoever claimed that there is nothing to do in Austin must live in a shell. Austin has something for everyone. It's got the lake to the west, tons of hike and bike trails, museums, 6th street and it's the state capital! It's got your rednecks and your liberals, and from what I've experienced, is very diverse. The weather can be pretty ick during the summer months, but slap on the spf and go swimming or find some fun indoor activities. I've lived in Texas most of my life and don't mind the heat. Spring and fall are nice here, and winter is mild. If you are still considering Dallas you may even see a little snow, which is great because in Texas if it even looks like it might be a little bit frozen or slippery, the schools shut down. My best memories from my grade school days come from "snow days"

I am planning a move to Fairbanks, AK in a few months. It's common for it to get to -40F or even lower in that area. I'm excited. I think that anyone is capable of adapting to any kind of extreme weather. Sometimes we just need a change, and the complete opposite of where we are is the way to go. If you want to move to Texas, plan a visit to see how you like it and then do it.

Unread 12-17-2010, 02:37 PM

24 posts, read 64,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
"But keep in mind that summer to winter temp difference is 60+/humid->dry "

60 degrees is nothing compared to MN. I believe it gets to 0 there in the winter, and at least 80 in the summer, right, that's 80 degrees of difference right there, and I believe some summers get to the 90's there and some winters below zero.

In the winter, the nighttime lows are cold but it almost always warms up. Tonight is low of 50 with tomorrow's forecasted high being 77. Most people would love to have that.

The only deterrent to our weather is mid June to mid September when the weather can be a bit hot and/or humid. However, most of the hottest days are dry. The humid days are generally cooler.
The 60 degree swing mentioned wasn't low in the winter to high in the summer. It was average temp. It can get into the teens during the winter in Austin and 110 in the summer. Also, allergies are a REAL concern in Austin, and if you don't have issues with cedar, elm, oak, mold etc. now, give it a few years living here. Other than the damn hot weather, horrible allergy conditions and traffic, Austin is great.

Unread 12-19-2010, 12:02 AM

3,026 posts, read 2,045,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el duderino View Post
The 60 degree swing mentioned wasn't low in the winter to high in the summer. It was average temp. It can get into the teens during the winter in Austin and 110 in the summer. Also, allergies are a REAL concern in Austin, and if you don't have issues with cedar, elm, oak, mold etc. now, give it a few years living here. Other than the damn hot weather, horrible allergy conditions and traffic, Austin is great.

Yes but if you look at the records, it got to -35 in MN and up to 100 in the summer. MN is far more extreme than here.

Unread 12-20-2010, 10:53 PM

235 posts, read 447,513 times
I moved here from MN as well 3 plus years ago. I totally hear what you're saying. People that have spent their entire lives in TX or the south don't fully appreciate just how much the MN winters wear on you. It's not just the brutality, but the duration.

Yes, it's hot here in the summer, but as the saying goes, you don't have to shovel sunshine. If you plan your outdoor activities in the early am or after supper, it's tolerable. Of course I'm one of those crazy "lizard people" that can be found doing yard work in the heat of the day though, so what do I know...

Overall, I find the quality of life to be similar to what I left behind too. The high electric bill in the summer here is about a wash with the high gas bill in the winter there. Same can be said about taxes. Overall, it's about a wash I'd say.

Overall, I'm quite happy with my move and you couldn't pay me to go back at this point! Do your own homework and definitely visit before you decide on anything. I visited twice before deciding. No place is perfect, but as far as cities in a warmer climate, this is one of the best IMO. FWIW, Houston and Dallas are too darned big IMO. More like Chicago that the Twin Cities...

Good luck and feel free to PM with any questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin