Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 01:06 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Wow. Sort of like the passive aggressive "bless your heart". How gauche.

My mom used to always whisper whenever she described someone as "black". Gawd, I love my mom dearly but that used to embarrass me...

Hey, for a swarthy d*go, I'm really trustworthy
HAH! That's exactly what this person does! I believe the full phrase was:

"They're black" [pause] "They're black people." [pause, I'm probably gazing at her in horrified fascination] "But a VERY nice couple!"

I don't know what a d*go is, but it certainly sounds fun! Somehow my Irish side took over and completely wiped out my Armenian swarthi-ness, which I have to say is a real bummer for me. I'm a little too close to albino for comfort. This is why people feel so comfortable being racist with me. I had to remind the above person that I am half "brown person" when she was talking about sitting next to one of "them" on a plane. Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 01:16 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
HAH! That's exactly what this person does! I believe the full phrase was:

"They're black" [pause] "They're black people." [pause, I'm probably gazing at her in horrified fascination] "But a VERY nice couple!"

I don't know what a d*go is, but it certainly sounds fun! Somehow my Irish side took over and completely wiped out my Armenian swarthi-ness, which I have to say is a real bummer for me. I'm a little too close to albino for comfort. This is why people feel so comfortable being racist with me. I had to remind the above person that I am half "brown person" when she was talking about sitting next to one of "them" on a plane. Sigh.
Ha! City Data won't let me type the term but it's d-e-g-o-. According to urban dictionary:

"A person of Italian descent generally accompanied by the basic features:brn hair, brn eyes, tan complexion, almost always over-abundance of body hair."

If you add an Iroc car, gold Italian Horn necklace charm and loads of Drakkar, you get the picture...

Amazing! If it wasn't for the bit of Irish in me, I might be offended

Old 03-13-2009, 01:27 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times
Quote:
Ha! City Data won't let me type the term but it's d-e-g-o-. According to urban dictionary:

"A person of Italian descent generally accompanied by the basic features:brn hair, brn eyes, tan complexion, almost always over-abundance of body hair."

If you add an Iroc car, gold Italian Horn necklace charm and loads of Drakkar, you get the picture...

Amazing! If it wasn't for the bit of Irish in me, I might be offended
If you changed the hair color to blonde, you've just described my cousin's boyfriend when we were in high school. Right down to the Iroc!

Old 03-13-2009, 04:27 PM

2,870 posts, read 3,370,192 times
Quote:
When it comes to assigning labels to folks, I just prefer terms like: friendly, charming, generous, rude, boring, selfish etc...
Or simply a-hole
You SAID IT!!! But can you imagine filling out a gov't form... hmmm... do I choose Jerk, A-hole, Generous to a Fault, Never Met a Stranger,...

HAHAHAA,,, that would make for a funny 'candid camera!'

Old 03-13-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
How DARE you! I take my heritage very seriously!!
A Canadian with heritage! Noooo, say it isn't so... what's the world coming to? hahaha - I used to live in Qubec during an educational exchange during middle shcool. Then in high school I did the same thing in Montreal. Later in my adult life I did some consulting work in Toronto,,, my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE CITY in the world (2nd only to San Francisco!)!!!! I really LOVE Canada,,, and the best thing about Canada is how the majority seem to be so open minded to the concept of the WORLD... they actually know stuff, you know, like where places are on the map - without having to be shown on the news! Don't get a lot of that in the US.

BTW - (general comment, not directed to you readymade) - North Americans are not just from the US... the would also be Canadians and Mexicans!!!

However AMERICANS - that is a much bigger bag of worms... it could mean Canadians, United Staters, Mexicans, Guatemalans, Belizers (what is someone from Belize called?), El Salvadorians, Nicaraguans, Hondurans, Costa Ricans, Panamanians, Brazilians, Peruvians, Argentinians, Bolivians, Venezuelans, Ecuadorians, Colombians, Chileans, Paraguayans... there's a few more, but I think you get the point?!

Remember AMERICANS can be Norther, Central or Southern --- welcome to Global inclusion! hahahaha

Old 03-13-2009, 04:53 PM

Cool Where did all the Desi's go?

SO,,,, for you Desi types... where is it that you hang out in Austin? For such a big population, I don't see very many 'dot' Indians in the clubs or bars or even at many of the organized social events, such as the ballet, plays, etc.... I know many stay home with family & I do see a lot of 'families' out and about,,, but not everyone can claim this as the reason. There must be a nice hang out or I'm just totally blind!

Old 03-13-2009, 05:05 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2cme View Post
A Canadian with heritage! Noooo, say it isn't so... what's the world coming to? hahaha - I used to live in Qubec during an educational exchange during middle shcool. Then in high school I did the same thing in Montreal. Later in my adult life I did some consulting work in Toronto,,, my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE CITY in the world (2nd only to San Francisco!)!!!! I really LOVE Canada,,, and the best thing about Canada is how the majority seem to be so open minded to the concept of the WORLD... they actually know stuff, you know, like where places are on the map - without having to be shown on the news! Don't get a lot of that in the US.
I agree about Toronto! I'm originally from Cleveland and it was a 5 hour drive to Toronto, 11 hours to Montreal. Both fantastic cities.

I think the interesting thing about Canadians, is that they aren't raised with the superiority dogma that we in the states are taught growing up. They aren't told they are the best, most awesome empire...err, country in the history of the world. I think that has a big effect on personality.

Kind of like the kid who is always told by his parents how special he is, and then feels confused and angry when others don't see him/her that way.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:48 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2cme View Post
SO,,,, for you Desi types... where is it that you hang out in Austin? For such a big population, I don't see very many 'dot' Indians in the clubs or bars or even at many of the organized social events, such as the ballet, plays, etc.... I know many stay home with family & I do see a lot of 'families' out and about,,, but not everyone can claim this as the reason. There must be a nice hang out or I'm just totally blind!
Try the Arboretum area, the Barnes and Noble, Cool River Cafe, etc. Lots of people socialize in their homes. Are you into chess? Huge chess crowd. but I don't know where the single ones are, but the family-types are in the NW.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Try the Arboretum area, the Barnes and Noble, Cool River Cafe, etc. Lots of people socialize in their homes. Are you into chess? Huge chess crowd. but I don't know where the single ones are, but the family-types are in the NW.
horrible at Chess, horrible at most games,,, much better with words than with strategy. But I'll check out those places and do a little people watching! Maybe I'll find someone who wants to play Scrabble! Thanks for the tips!

Old 03-14-2009, 03:21 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,707,536 times
Quote:
My mother once described someone to me as "blacker than the ace of spades". It was just a figure of speech somewhat as she is 80 something and was raised in that era. She really is not racist...just trying to be funny and throw in her own deep south, 80 yr old humor.
This person has since become my (very caucasian) sons step mom and she and my mom are very close!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin