Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 04:09 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,898,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Whatever floats your boat. I think the real question is whether you drink pabst because you liked the taste or because it's popular with hipsters. If you like the taste of pabst then I can give you several beers that hipsters hate that taste just like pabst and let you try them. I'm somewhat of a beer connoisseur so that's why I laugh at some of the hipster choices. I realize they know nothing about beer because I've offered some hipster some beers that were manufactured in the same style as papst and basically are identical to it, but they turned their nose down on it because it was "not ironic". If you do not like that style of beer, then that says more that you are into trendiness and not the actual beer. Like I said, I could give you a blind beer test and I'd probably trick you about which one was pabst.

I think many things the hipsters like are great. I'm all for driving hybrid cars and living in the central city. Hipsters are revitalizing vast sections of the inner cities of America. Kudos to them. However, I would like to see a hipster that thinks outside the "hipster box". What would be real irony is to see a hipster drinking something like Coors light or something. Now that's real irony. I would think you may start seeing the "hipsters of the hipsters" start developing, who do "anti hipster" type things just to be seen at the ultimate hipster... After all, they are the "counter culture", which is the most counter cultural thing you can do, but to be counter to the counter culture?

About the only thing I share with hipsters is that I grow out an "ironic" mustache and goatee but only seasonally, in the winter. It's far too hot here to have any facial hair in the summer. Also, I wear fitted jeans. They aren't tight, but they aren't the loose hanging boxer showing ones favored by today's youth either, nor the ill fitted jeans of most of my generation. But most of the time I wear shorts in this heat anyway.

To be honest, I prefer the hipster look over the "gangsta" look that many youth embrace, with the baggy jeans showing half of their cheap boxers. Jeez, I mean, if you're going to show your boxers, at least have a decent pair on.

That's why I just do my own thing. I judge the beer I drink on their taste, not their popularity. I drink and do things seasonally. I would never drink a Guinness in the summer, but I drink it all the time in the winter. Likewise, I have a list of around 20 summer ales that I rotate here in the long summer. Same thing for fashion, music, and movies. I judge things individually, not by genres. Things are so much more interesting that way.

It makes for interesting conversations, because when I meet someone, I keep seeing their confusion as they first try to stereotype me and realize it won't work. Nope, my personality is way too faceted for that
I would love to see the look on my old man's face (rip) after telling him that PBR is popular because it's ironic. How can an effin' BEER be ironic? Hilarious.

As for the hot facial hair - doesn't bother me a bit! I think you just get used to it.

In the music world, I see this all the time: hipsters automatically think that just because something is old and vintage it's better. Stupid. Sometimes older designs are more applicable for certain sounds but sometimes newer stuff is just better. Sh*t cracks me up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 04:24 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,259 times
Quote:
Whatever floats your boat. I think the real question is whether you drink pabst because you liked the taste or because it's popular with hipsters. If you like the taste of pabst then I can give you several beers that hipsters hate that taste just like pabst and let you try them. I'm somewhat of a beer connoisseur so that's why I laugh at some of the hipster choices. I realize they know nothing about beer because I've offered some hipster some beers that were manufactured in the same style as papst and basically are identical to it, but they turned their nose down on it because it was "not ironic". If you do not like that style of beer, then that says more that you are into trendiness and not the actual beer. Like I said, I could give you a blind beer test and I'd probably trick you about which one was pabst.

I think many things the hipsters like are great. I'm all for driving hybrid cars and living in the central city. Hipsters are revitalizing vast sections of the inner cities of America. Kudos to them. However, I would like to see a hipster that thinks outside the "hipster box". What would be real irony is to see a hipster drinking something like Coors light or something. Now that's real irony. I would think you may start seeing the "hipsters of the hipsters" start developing, who do "anti hipster" type things just to be seen at the ultimate hipster... After all, they are the "counter culture", which is the most counter cultural thing you can do, but to be counter to the counter culture?

About the only thing I share with hipsters is that I grow out an "ironic" mustache and goatee but only seasonally, in the winter. It's far too hot here to have any facial hair in the summer. Also, I wear fitted jeans. They aren't tight, but they aren't the loose hanging boxer showing ones favored by today's youth either, nor the ill fitted jeans of most of my generation. But most of the time I wear shorts in this heat anyway.

To be honest, I prefer the hipster look over the "gangsta" look that many youth embrace, with the baggy jeans showing half of their cheap boxers. Jeez, I mean, if you're going to show your boxers, at least have a decent pair on.

That's why I just do my own thing. I judge the beer I drink on their taste, not their popularity. I drink and do things seasonally. I would never drink a Guinness in the summer, but I drink it all the time in the winter. Likewise, I have a list of around 20 summer ales that I rotate here in the long summer. Same thing for fashion, music, and movies. I judge things individually, not by genres. Things are so much more interesting that way.

It makes for interesting conversations, because when I meet someone, I keep seeing their confusion as they first try to stereotype me and realize it won't work. Nope, my personality is way too faceted for that
Funny... its true. Coors Light and Pabst are just the same. I don't really drink either except when its the only available option.

But in some fairness, I think many of these hipsters just seem like their consciously making all efforts to do everything counter culture, when in reality the majority of them just simply don't care. And I also think that it's this "not caring" attitude that makes them seem douchy.

But then there are others that judging from most of the people I've met, a lot of them are real nice folks who are just like anybody really and just about the only thing that separates them is their style of clothes and the music they listen to. Essentially, I guess there really isn't anything "counter culture" about them and most don't even really try to be "counter culture". I think they just do what is amusing to them.

A good friend of mine I worked with thought it was pretentious to ride fixies and often spoke bad about his own friend who rode fixies. But this friend of mine got himself a little ironic mustache and begin to wear short shorts. I approached him about it and teased him about how hypocritical he was and he simply laughed along with me. He simply thought it was amusing and noted that more girls were actually approaching him that way. I don't think there was anything pretentious about his efforts. I think people just look a little too much into it and its not at all this douchy appearance their trying to convey. In other words, they think its funny that their being ironic and they think its also funny how most people try to figure them out. Quite honestly, I kinda admire that.

But then of course, there are those who are actually being serious.... and that's when everybody thinks its weird.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:53 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
"Right now I am rocking a pretty big beard that some may think is hipstery...I just grow a rad beard and like the way it looks. I get MANY compliments from hipsters and younger people...I find it flattering and charming actually I occasionally wear a funny t-shirt and I do like to change up my shades with the times. But I do draw the line at tight striped pants, skin-tight cutoff shorts, empty horned-rimmed glasses and fixie bikes."

Yeah, that is QUITE the beard you have going! Saw the pics One of my friends is sporting a similar look, except his beard isn't quite as full.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:21 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,125 times
I have yet to meet a single person who would freely declare himself to be a hipster. So is hipsterdom a subculture that people get lumped into but nobody actually claims to be a part of?

Old 08-07-2011, 07:34 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
I have yet to meet a single person who would freely declare himself to be a hipster. So is hipsterdom a subculture that people get lumped into but nobody actually claims to be a part of?
Declaring yourself a hipster is like saying you're one of the "cool kids." The instant you say it, you're not.

That was the original idea at least. Now I think part of it is that hipsterdom has been so broken down and analyzed that it's been revealed to be just another attempt by conformists to be non-conformist, and no one would willingly associate themselves with that.

That said, some of the original ideas behind hipsterism are kinda cool, and there are many who can pull it off without being complete douches about it. The original "Austin weird" was what hipsters aspired to be, and that's why Austin has become such a mecca for the subculture.

Last edited by Westerner92; 08-07-2011 at 07:44 PM..

Old 08-07-2011, 07:41 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
That's a good point. If this is indeed the case, then hipsters are true hipsters, doing their own thing and being "judged" by society for doing what they think is independent.

However, logically that doesn't make sense. Individualistic people tend to do something way out there that few people are willing to copy and mathematically the probability that everyone would choose PBR and tight jeans is a just too slim for me to think it's a coincidence that people are just expressing themselves that way. It's more group think.

We're all guilty of it, it's a natural tendency in human nature. The true irony is that the hipsters don't see this about themselves. They want their individuality, to not be a brick on the wall but the way they express it makes them bricks in the wall of hipsterdom.

To me the far more interesting people are semi-hipsters. For instance they have a shaved look and a 10 speed bike but still wear tight jeans or drink PBR. To me that shows discernment, picking the pieces that fit their individuality and throwing away the other pieces.

Regardless of our feelings, Austin owes its popularity to the hipsters and for that I'm thankful. I'm a live and let live kind of guy, so whatever floats your boat I'm cool with, as long as nobody attempts to influence me in any way, shape, or form.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:55 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
Are you sure you're a suburban dad? You're too keen on youth culture to be one.

Quote:
That's a good point. If this is indeed the case, then hipsters are true hipsters, doing their own thing and being "judged" by society for doing what they think is independent.

However, logically that doesn't make sense. Individualistic people tend to do something way out there that few people are willing to copy and mathematically the probability that everyone would choose PBR and tight jeans is a just too slim for me to think it's a coincidence that people are just expressing themselves that way. It's more group think.

We're all guilty of it, it's a natural tendency in human nature. The true irony is that the hipsters don't see this about themselves. They want their individuality, to not be a brick on the wall but the way they express it makes them bricks in the wall of hipsterdom.

To me the far more interesting people are semi-hipsters. For instance they have a shaved look and a 10 speed bike but still wear tight jeans or drink PBR. To me that shows discernment, picking the pieces that fit their individuality and throwing away the other pieces.

Regardless of our feelings, Austin owes its popularity to the hipsters and for that I'm thankful. I'm a live and let live kind of guy, so whatever floats your boat I'm cool with, as long as nobody attempts to influence me in any way, shape, or form.
I love this. Personally, my favorite sect of hipsterdom has to be the Christian hipsters.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:01 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Are you sure you're a suburban dad? You're too keen on youth culture to be one.

I love this. Personally, my favorite sect of hipsterdom has to be the Christian hipsters.
Yep, I'm a suburban dad, but I'm also a single dad so I have to know everything about my competitors I also want to know what the scene is so I can understand when my son hits that age range.

Also, I'm strangely attracted to hipster chicks...

Last edited by cBach; 08-07-2011 at 08:43 PM..

Old 08-07-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Also, I'm strangely attracted to hipster chicks...
I am in full agreement with this

Old 08-07-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
"Right now I am rocking a pretty big beard that some may think is hipstery...I just grow a rad beard and like the way it looks. I get MANY compliments from hipsters and younger people...I find it flattering and charming actually I occasionally wear a funny t-shirt and I do like to change up my shades with the times. But I do draw the line at tight striped pants, skin-tight cutoff shorts, empty horned-rimmed glasses and fixie bikes."

Yeah, that is QUITE the beard you have going! Saw the pics One of my friends is sporting a similar look, except his beard isn't quite as full.
Yes - getting a lot of ZZTop and Taliban jokes these days

Got no plans to cut it anytime soon though! I'm lucky in that I can look how I want!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin