Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2010, 04:44 PM

55 posts, read 183,306 times

Advertisements

First, I realize there are a lot of moving threads but I have specific wants/needs out of a place to live and don't want to hijack another thread.

Anyway, I'm from Texas (Arlington) originally, parents moved away and now I'm looking at moving back. Basically I really need some ideas on where to live.

I have a job as a writer so I don't need to live near work or anything. I am trying to push into the film industry as a screenwriter though so to at least be in access to the film community in Austin would be nice. (Yes I know, LA is the best for screenwriting but I'm a Southern girl at heart and I'd rather stick with Texas first). I do prefer an area safe enough to walk around alone during the day and with a couple girlfriends at night. I like good music, good diners/offbeat shops and nearby theaters. Outdoor activities are not as important. I would like to be able to find a decent sized 1 bedroom or smaller 2 bedroom (a 1 bed w/loft would be nice but I don't know how available those are) for no more than 1500 a month. Cheaper would of course be great.
I have a car so that's not an issue.

The other aspect is in meeting people and personality wise. I'm Christian, and pretty passionate about my faith, ie I get involved in church and the like. At the same time though my current roommate and best friend is gay & her girlfriend lives with us. I'd like to be able to meet other Christians without driving across town for a good church but not the type who thump people over the head with their misconstrued ideas of what faith is about. I also prefer semi-intelligent people. You can disagree with me if you know what you're saying. If you just spout out opinions without ever having any backing for what comes out of your mouth, even if you technically agree with my views, I'll still think you're stupid. Anyway, that's kind of just to emphasize that I like good conversation with tactful and intelligent people. (I know I may be too picky here). But I know from living multiple places that there are areas of a town where you watch your conversation and areas where as long as you aren't being a pig, you can be accepted for who you are. I want the latter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 06:28 PM

279 posts, read 1,163,456 times
Live anywhere Austin if free and very liberal...you should know that from being from here

Old 12-20-2010, 09:41 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
What are "semi-intelligent people?" Either you are or you aren't I thought?

Old 12-21-2010, 06:49 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,539 times
My experience has been that no matter where I am in Austin or the surrounding area, I'm going to meet a wide variety of people. Some are going to be very liberal, some will be very conservative. Some will open their mouth and say something controversial leaning one way and others will open their mouth and say something controversial that leans the other way. I don't think you can escape that anywhere you go, and I find that whether I'm sitting in with a bunch of my grandmother's conservative friends, or my liberal ones, I always watch my mouth unless I know that all parties in the room feel the same way. It's easier than starting a fight over BBQ and the world takes all different types, ya know?

So if you like living downtown, you should look for something downtown. Or if you prefer more suburban living, there's always something near the Domain or the Arboretum.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:59 AM

247 posts, read 558,732 times
You can easily live Downtown, SoCo, or Clarksville on that budget. Downtown/SoCo will be $1000+ for a 1/1 or 2/1 while Clarksville starts around $700 or so. All three are great areas.

I go here for church (it's more modern, etc). The Austin Stone Community Church They have a campus at Austin HS which is about 5 mins away from Downtown (the services are huge though).

Old 12-21-2010, 06:59 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
I have not rented in a long time, but for $1,500 you can probably get a place just about anywhere in town, although smaller/older downtown and pretty durn luxurious outside of downtown.

As for characterizations of the people you want to meet/associate with, you are not going to find a specific type of people in a specific geography.

I am guessing, though, that the south Austin (south of the river) area is the area that would the most attractive/interesting to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: