U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 02:24 PM

12,336 posts, read 13,285,972 times
Angry Few freeloaders among MetroRail riders

Few freeloaders among MetroRail riders

I guess you should have hired conductors to punch the tickets of the few souls who ride Cap Metrorail. I wonder if there going to hire conductors form Denton A-train? This line makes a mockery out of PT and RT and hurts any chances of a future light Rail system....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 05:53 PM

286 posts, read 359,729 times
Still awaiting the launch of weekend service, when I would actually use it.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:54 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,929,386 times
Sorry, but I really don't see what your (and the other gripers) problem is. I'm one of the "few souls" that support and ride MetroRail. It has been a savior for my family and has enabled us to continue to be a one car household. I live in Pflugerville. I ride to the train, and the train takes me downtown. For the life of me I don't know why people are carping over this. It isn't perfect, but it's a beginning. Holy moly. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:43 PM

4,910 posts, read 3,190,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Sorry, but I really don't see what your (and the other gripers) problem is. I'm one of the "few souls" that support and ride MetroRail. It has been a savior for my family and has enabled us to continue to be a one car household. I live in Pflugerville. I ride to the train, and the train takes me downtown. For the life of me I don't know why people are carping over this. It isn't perfect, but it's a beginning. Holy moly. Rome wasn't built in a day.
It would have been cheaper for the taxpayer to buy you and the other 400 commuters 5 Mercedes Benz E350s (one for each workday of the week) each and hire a full-time chauffeur to drive each of you to work.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:14 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,929,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
It would have been cheaper for the taxpayer to buy you and the other 400 commuters 5 Mercedes Benz E350s (one for each workday of the week) each and hire a full-time chauffeur to drive each of you to work.
Hey, if that's what people want to do, then so be it. Again, for the life of me I don't get the carping, whining and overall boo-hoo over a train service. Why? Because tax payers helped purchase it? If you want to recoup your investment, then by jove ride it. I grew up on public transportation. I am used to mass transit. I've ridden one of the finest mass transit systems in this country, and while this system isn't anywhere close to it, it's a beginning. I support mass transportation and rail service. I support people becoming one car households and people being moved by mass transportation to their jobs. If that makes me a "privileged" commuter then fine.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:38 AM

4,910 posts, read 3,190,161 times
I would ride it if it went anywhere and at useful times.

Rode the electric trollies in St.Louis all the time and used the bus system in Monterrey, Mexico regularly.

The SF cable cars were fun.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:14 AM

16,257 posts, read 22,171,448 times
I think part of the issue is that a lot of people who grew up with a different system moved here some time back and carped and carped and carped and carped through SEVERAL elections, all of which said the community didn't want light rail and voted it down.

And then finally got their way, at taxpayer expense. And now that they got their way they're not, for whatever reason, using it as much as they said they would.

So, people are, naturally, a bit irritated at the whole situation.

That you, riaelise, are using it, doesn't overcome that history or the bad feelings created by it and the expense.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:04 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,113,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I would ride it if it went anywhere and at useful times.

Rode the electric trollies in St.Louis all the time and used the bus system in Monterrey, Mexico regularly.

The SF cable cars were fun.
Same for me. If it went anywhere near where I need to go (namely work), and at reasonable and useful times, I'd ride it. But I'm not going to ride it and then wait a long long time out in the weather for a connector bus (or buses - have no clue) to take me to my office, resulting in a commuter time that is double it would be if I drove. When I had to be at the convention center one week, I did ride it and LOVED it. But that was a rare occasion that I needed to be there.

I'd ride it downtown on a regular basis...if it ran in the evenings and on the weekends. It doesn't, so I don't use it.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:56 AM

769 posts, read 837,586 times
Yeah, I agree.

One week, my husband and I were downtown, and we spontaneously decided to take our 2 year old on a ride on the Metrorail. We had no idea it didn't run on weekends, and the schedules weren't very clear. We purchased tickets and sat and waited 15-20 minutes with another family. We finally realized the train was never coming. LOL. Ridiculous that it doesn't run on weekends.

We decided to try again on one of our days off. We drove to the station at Mopac/Wells Branch Pkwy....and to our dismay, the schedule is VERY limited, so yet, again, we didn't ride.

I gave up.

I grew up in Tokyo where mass transit is the main form of transport. I appreciate and lovethe idea of mass transit, but it has to be practical.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:38 PM

74,377 posts, read 34,553,341 times
You have to remember that those tracks are owned by the freight lines.
That's not a dedicated metrorail track. Freight rules here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin